Saturday, May 21, 2016

Broken news

Five balloons were aloft this morning but a sixth was struggling to rise, it seemed to me.


I think they took off from a park along the Yarra River, perhaps in Burnley. You can just make out the struggling balloon to the left of the wide roof midphoto.


 And not too long after this story came to life in the media.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hot-air-balloon-with-10-passengers-hovering-above-water-near-aspendale-20160520-gp0frn.html#ixzz49G0IBV59
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

The trouble is the police say the balloon was launched from Dendy Park in Brighton which rather spoils my story as it must be a different balloon. I think the cops may be wrong. In my photo at full size the balloon appears to be a very dark colour, as the one in newspaper is, and also within the story is this, "An Armadale resident said the balloon had flown over his house about 7.45am and was so low he could hear the gas flame burning". My photo was taken at 6:56 am and the balloon was not going anywhere fast. Brighton to Armadale by balloon and then out to sea is possible but unlikely. I suggest it became low on gas because it burnt a lot of gas trying to gain altitude.

19 comments:

  1. A hot air balloon adventure sounds horrific to moi! Can you believe now that I'm officially booked to go to Sydney beginning of June all I hear about is aeroplane 'incidents'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, for the first time you have made the first comment on one of my posts. No plane crashes in Australia of late and what plane would crash with your uplifting hands on the handrests.

      Delete
    2. Let's hope you're right Andrew :) and yes, I'm usually the last comment!

      Delete
  2. No way in hell that I will ever get in one of those things LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, we've been up once and I quite enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. I believe you are right its the same balloon. I cut out the balloon in your photo, darkened it to add contrast and could see the purple markings down the right side of it, like the balloon that required rescue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Strayer. As far as I know, they all take off together from various locations.

      Delete
  4. hot air ballons are not safe means of transport in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we have very few balloon problems here, and there are usually about 5 a day go up.

      Delete
  5. the MSM is not always correct. that's why I like Twitter for breaking news - people on the spot who upload their images immediately, free of editorial [and pretty much legal,]constraint.
    The first time a HAB went over my golf-course adjacent Dendy St [at the time] house, the loud early morning whooshing noise seemed like an attack from outer space, until I realised what it was. I agree with the Optimistic Existentialist above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I agree. I did tweet to The Age journalist whose name was on the story, but never heard back. It is fun to hear the whoosh. The residents along Fawkener Park must be very used to the sound.

      Delete
  6. I love,love,loved my trips in a hot air balloon and if money and my body gave me the opportunity I would fly again in a heart beat.
    And yes, I saw the story and it didn't change my mind.
    We get into cars often enough despite the risks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, motor bikes are so dangerous, it is wonder they are not banned. Apart from a bad accident in NZ, I don't recall anyone else dying in the Antipodes.

      Delete
  7. I too saw it on the news. Right time, right place for the boat rescuers! What a story they would have to tell around the bar that night. Thankfully all ended well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, strangely I heard two coast guard boats were trailling the balloon, but the people left the balloon onto a pleasure craft. Odd, I think.

      Delete
  8. I am impressed! Your photo was taken at 6:56 am. The only time I have ever seen 6.56 am was as a teenager, still partying from the night before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, seven hours sleep seems to be adequate for me and I really don't like staying up late.

      Delete
  9. I saw the news footage and was thinking about the bank that forked out the money to have their logo on the side of that balloon. Is it good or bad publicity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, you are back from your country journey. I really don't think anyone took much notice of the advertising on the balloon. Companies spend huge amounts of money on advertising that no one ever notices.

      Delete