Friday, April 08, 2016

The news in brief

I did not sleep so well last night and I was up early, before going to work. Oh look, balloons are going up from Fawkner Park. I will sit on the balcony for a couple of minutes and watch them. I am guessing it was from about 120 degrees to my right, a currawong flew in and landed on the balcony rail about 1/2 a metre in front of me, say two feet. The bird just did not see me at all. I stayed still and after maybe 20 seconds it flew off and landed on another balcony railing. While I was sure it was a currawong, it vocalised on the next balcony to confirm I was correct. Currawongs are big birds and look a little scary.

From Elwood to East Malvern, fom Glen Iris to Burwood, from Balaclava to St Kilda Road, never have I taken notice or seen birds like we do here. Excuse the pun, but I guess you have to be on their level. Photo from Wikipedia.


16 comments:

  1. Awesome ~ that encounter must have carried you through the day though. The stuff that imprints on our brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Andrew, don't put yourself down. You are far more intelligent than some local bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a surprise then, and a lovely one a moment to share with a bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I just wish it had stayed a little longer.

      Delete
  4. Amndrew what a great bird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, it was impressive.

      Delete
  5. I do love currawongs. And balloons and a currawong? An impressive start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, they are not a bird I know much about. It is only in recent years that they have appeared in the inner suburbs and I can't remember them being around in the Victorian bush when I was young either.

      Delete
  6. They do look like crows.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, in that photo they do, but not so much when you see them for real.

      Delete
  7. We have lots of currawongs around here, I love hearing them calling out to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, well you would now you live in the leafy eastern suburbs. Did you capture the sunrise this morning? No? You were in bed? I did it for you.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure we have currawongs, I'll have to google the sound to find out. We have crows and some brownish birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I really think they were NSW birds, but they are certainly here now.

      Delete