Monday, April 04, 2016

The kitchen

The new benchtop, hotplates, sink and tap were installed today. No photos until the kitchen is finished in a week or so, but the new bench top far exceeded our expectations. It wasn't really Carol who planted the seed of doubt. We had doubts ourselves about whether the old wall tiles would work with the new benchtop, but they do, very well. R has spent quite some time bleaching the tile grout to return it to white. Even though the new benchtop doubled the cost of the kitchen makeover, we see it as money well spent.

R overheard the gas man/plumber say to the bench installers, this is a really nice cooktop. While we know we bought the oven and hotplates very cheaply given they are high end brand, I am not sure what is so special about them. The stove top cleaner, me, will be the judge. Oh, I suppose the person who uses the hotplates to cook might have an opinion too but we won't worry too much about that. Ideally we would have liked a smooth glass induction cooktop, but as well as being expensive, we would have to have special wiring from the mains supply in service room. I could see a cost of $3000 just for a cooktop.

R is very happy as we were told we shouldn't really use the kitchen tonight, until all the silicone set, so it was take away fish and chips for dinner.

In spite of them leaving more mess than recent tradespeople have, a bit like the old days where cleaning was not their job, we are very happy, so far. Who said material things can't make you happy?

22 comments:

  1. ooh, bring on the pics. I got 2 new dresses today, of course material things can make you happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, saw your tweet about one of them. I didn't put my phone online to check, but I am sure they are delightfully flattering.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I am not sure I want to be known as a doubt-seed sower, so I am so glad the rest of the kitchen renovation team went with their gut instinct and first hand experience. Well done team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you were quite right to voice what we had been thinking, but we had spent a lot more than we originally intended to and the line had to be drawn. You may still think it was a mistake, but we are happy with it.

      Delete
    2. Not at all Andrew. It's not for me to comment or have an opinion really. It's your kitchen. I was just mentally ticking off all the bits in your kitchen reno, having done one myself.

      Delete
    3. Carol, your thoughts are valued. I don't respect the opinion of everyone in my blog world, but I do yours.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it great when the kitchen is remodeled? We remodeled ours last year and love it.
    Question: Does the bleach break down the grout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I don't believe bleach does break down grout. We have used it on floor tile grout for years.

      Delete
  4. Andrew I am waiting for your new furniture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another week or so, Gosia.

      Delete
  5. I'm impatient to see the photos! I love a new kitchen, anybody's new kitchen. I'm not likely to get one myself, so I enjoy seeing new at others' places. I agree with Fenstar, material things do make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we were kind of lucky in that the basic design was ok, in a very limited space. A whole new kitchen would have been a nightmare.

      Delete
  6. Oooh.
    Looking forward to the photos.
    Our kitchen makeover was not fun at the time, but I do love the end result. And the granite benchtops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, being happy with the result is the best thing, and you clearly are.

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too Cranky, the end result.

      Delete
  8. Where are the photos do we have to wait.
    Merle...................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is tempting to give you a peek, but no, not until it is finished.

      Delete
  9. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished kitchen!
    It's good you are both pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, surely us being pleased is the most important thing. We will see in a week about the overall pleased level.

      Delete
  10. Let's see some photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Wait. I might put up a photo of a problem we encountered.

      Delete