Saturday, April 16, 2016

Ormond Thai

It is becoming increasingly difficult to find a traditional cheapish Australian style Thai restaurant in Melbourne, but Ormond Thai fits the bill perfectly. We dined there this evening and the owner did all the serving and dispatching of the huge amount of take away that was sent out or picked up. While the serving chap, who I would guess was the owner, literally ran, even so our food was a little slow coming out and he when he served us, he was on high speed auto pilot and a little distracted. He did settle down later and became more attentive. Thai New Year apparently, staff away.

Everyone loved their food, including myself and I highly recommend the food at Ormond Thai if you like the old style Australian Thai food. My tom yum was to die for and I'm afraid Chinese and Vietnamese just don't make it the right way.

North Road Ormond has some interesting shops, even a bar with music a few doors along from the restaurant, but it is so dominated by six lanes of traffic plus a dividing strip and a parking lane, that it can never have a proper village atmosphere.

PS I just checked whether it was Thai Ormond or Ormond Thai. Both names seem to be used. Bit of a worry when this popped up. We have dined there twice in the last two years and survived.

11 comments:

  1. Best not to read newspapers. The news is always so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I can't help myself. I am a media junkie.

      Delete
  2. What's the difference between Australian style Thai and Thai style Thai? I've only had Thai food once many years ago and forgotten what I ate, only remember it was something with beef, not hot tasting, but hot like it was two seconds out of the kitchen. I had to let it cool before I could eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, Thai food was fashionable in the late 90s early 2000s. People moved on to sushi, roll mops and dumplings. I am caught in the past and Tom Yum soup is like comfort food to me, as is roast lamb

      Delete
  3. Oops. Though the closure was several years ago. I do like Thai food. And haven't had any for yonks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, just last year I think, 2015. Treat yourself and order in some takeaway Thai.

      Delete
  4. My favourite restaurant in Canberra was fined when a customer bit into their dim sum and found a cockroach. Still, it was a fantastic restaurant and didn't put me off. I will have to try Ormond Thai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, thankfully cockies are not a big problem here. Ormond Thai is cheap and the food is very nice, if you like the old style Aussie Thai. Just a minute from Ormond Station.

      Delete
  5. I love Thai food but I don't get out to eat much. So I make it here at times. I used to frequently make Pad Thai. I'll have to try recipes for Tom Yum soup now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I once bought a tin of Tom Yum soup and it was rather good. It would certainly be a good base to add other stuff to.

      Delete
  6. ooh I get some awesome Thai from a place in Burwood that delivers. It's delicious. I can't eat a lot of Thai, as it generally contains chilli, however I do find enough that I can exist on!

    ReplyDelete