Friday, April 01, 2016

Easter 2

After lunch in Queenscliff, we drove on to Barwon Heads, via Ocean Grove. There was much angst about replacing the old timber bridge across the Barwon River so the old bridge was kept for pedestrians an cyclists and a new one built for cars.


It is a lovely area.


I didn't take a photo as it was a bit far away but some land puzzled me. If you go back to the map here, what I was looking at was Portsea and Sorrento Back Beaches, the part where there is no sand, along with Cheviot Beach where Prime Minister Harold Holt drowned in 1967.



We drove in to the caravan park. The cottage next to this one was used in the terrific tv series Seachange as Laura's house. As a gift for Mother's 70th birthday, hard to believe it was 12 years ago, Sister paid for Mother and Step Father's accommodation in the cottage. I couldn't take a photo as people were lunching on the verandah.


The blue building is a cafe and we have lunched there in the past. The bridge is actually over the Barwon River. At about the age of 25 I suppose, I learnt what an estuary is. 'Little Jo, what is the area called where a river meets the sea?' Yes, she knew. For someone who stares so much at her laptop and tv screens, she knows a lot. I thought a little rhyme might amuse her. I should have known better as she never found it funny when I told her the name of our solicitors, Martin, Barton and F....(pause) Farquhar. The rhyme was this one: Not last night but the night before three tomcats came knocking at my door. One had a fiddle, one had a drum. And one had a pancake, stuck to his......, don't be mistaken, don't be misled. One had a pancake stuck to his head.


As you can see, the weather is grey but it did not rain. In fact after Good Friday, I don't think we saw sun again until Tuesday afternoon then, and then not much. We stopped off at a supermarket in Ocean Grove to buy a belated birthday cake for R and Mother and returned to Sister's. Sister cooked chicken schnitzel and salad for dinner and we followed with the birthday cake. We watched an atrocious movie that Bone Doctor had hired, hoping Mother would like it. Hachi: A dog's tale starring Richard Gere was a real tear jerker. Is Gere so short of money that he would make such an badly made movie?

Ocean Grove can be seen in the distance.


If you live near the beach, an outdoor shower is useful to wash off sand. Normally when Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo shower outdoors, they go naked. I decided this Sunday morning I too wanted to shower naked outdooors. Not sure why, but the dog took off, the cat hid and all the birds flew away. The shower head delivered a bit more water that the indoor one and it was quite exhilarating, although a little chilly when I shut the water off.  Pity the shower hook was not a lot higher as you can't stand under it at that height.


Th man at the rear block has been building this boat for as long as Sister has lived in the house. I hope he has a wide driveway, in case it should ever be finished.


I could not get a better photo, but this cubby house next door is the grandest I have ever seen. It is a two storey mansion.


A Rainbow Families poster. We gave out our Easter eggs. Every time Little Jo received one, Sister would exclaim, oh no, and groan.


We drove to the car park at the beach while Sister and ABI Brother walked with the dog. We set off for Point Lonsdale Village, just over a kilometre away for coffee. It was very busy. There are three of these rock groynes, and there is a push to have them replaced with five timber groynes that will allow water to pass through which may prevent beach erosion. Much of the beach is underwater at high tide.


If you can't read this, it concludes with reference to the person's grandmother who would bathe in the sea. "There her bathing skirts floating all around her, she would enjoy the lapping waves, pushing herself up and down in a bobbing motion."


The paths are all well maintained for walkers and cyclists.


Little Jo was a bit grumpy and argued with her mother about the Easter egg hunt in the nearby park. It was a brief bit of fun. After a lunch of hotdogs, R and I departed with Mother and ABI staying on for an extra day.


We decided to take the scenic route home, via St Leonards, Indented Heads, Portarlington and Drysdale. We stopped for a break at Portarlington. We can see the hills of Portarlington from home. So near by crow, so far by road.

22 comments:

  1. Andrew the cottage house looks nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Gosia, and overlooks the beach.

      Delete
  2. I think Seachange made us all fantasise about a little cottage like that one and the simple life to go with it. What a busy weekend you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, R did look up the price to stay at the cottage and off peak, it wasn't too bad. I have a low boredom threshhold, so I am not sure the simple life would suit me.

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous pics.
    My understanding is Hachi was based on a true story. And yes it was a tearjerker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it was, as was our somewhat vaguely similar movie, Red Dog. The basic story was ok, but the film was just so badly made.

      Delete
  4. Was it really '67 when Harold Holt drowned (or was abducted). And I remember it well.
    Loved all the photos. And am very glad I never had to bathe in voluminous bathing skirts. Perhaps I am not as old as the Harold Holt reference made me feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it may surprise you, but at time I do check for accuracy. Pleased you are not keen on floating skirts and prefer a bikini.

      Delete
  5. I think he ran away from the top job I know I would.
    A outdoor shower always wanted one if those.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I have heard about how liberating skinny dipping can be, but at my age, an outdoor shower will do just fine.

      Delete
  6. I have now got beach envy really bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, there is a train to Clacton on Sea. You may need your one piece for bathing.

      Delete
  7. Looks like a nice area. Of course, to me, any place that has a beach is a nice area.
    I remember Martin, Barton and...Farquar!
    Here's a different rhyme for you: good golly, good golly, good golly almighty, I wish my pyjamas were next to your nightie...don't be mistaken, don't be misled, I mean on the clothesline, not in the bed.
    (Often heard around the school yard)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it isn't one I have heard and it is great.

      Delete
  8. Looks a great area for walks and beach combing. You are brave having a cold outside shower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, the water was hot and the shower better than the indoor one. It is a lovely and a somewhat hidden part of Victoria.

      Delete
  9. When I lived in Florida I had an outdoor shower... I still miss it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, how many times a day do you have to shower when you are in Florida to keep the sweat away?

      Delete
  10. They never did find Harold Holt's body did they Andrew? Hope the man in the rear block wasn't peeking over the fence when you were showing in the nud :) We have an outdoor shower for when we come out the pool, salt water.. the first shower is lovely and warm, then turns icy cold so it's a dash to see who gets there first :) I am coming to the conclusion that all in all it was a really enjoyable long weekend oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, they did not find his body. Maybe he only recently died of old age in Beijing. I don't care if someone wants to get their kicks by watching me shower. It is quite unlikely. So your shower is not connected to your home hot water system.

      Delete
  11. Looks very nice and I hope the cat returned after the naked outside showering. I've known boat builders whose boats never floated before the builder perished. Of old age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, like all cats, she reappeared when she was hungry. Yes, boats seem to a project that starts well and then builders get bogged down with it all.

      Delete