Friday, April 08, 2016

DSE

I am not very good with Print Screen, but here it goes.


A massive sale by Dick Smith Electronics before it closes, a company originally owned by entrepreneur Dick Smith who sold it on to our supermarket chain Woolworths, who sold it on to an equity firm who then sent it broke. It is sad time for the staff who will lose their jobs, and to others involved. The less said about the shenanigans of big business and equity firms, the better.

At times I forget what happened on which day. We were in town one recent day and popped into DSE to see if there were any bargains to be had and there was a bin full of USB storage sticks at a pretty good price. I bought two. R was admiring phones. I think he is getting itchy phone feet and may soon upgrade his Samsung S3 to a S7.

The following day we caught the train to Moonee Ponds, just for lunch. No real other reason apart from the luxury of a week off work and I like to get out and about. I did have a look at the new tram track layout at Moonee Ponds and we did catch the tram back to town, rather than walk back to the station. We cast an eye around the quite uninteresting new shopping centre and there was a DSE store. I decided to go in and buy two more memory sticks but they had none. Once back in town, I returned to the city DSE store and bought two more there. But what has happened to the shop? In about 24 hours it had nearly been cleaned out of stock. The phones R was looking at were gone, the shelves so bare and very little to buy at all. Even the stock shelves were for sale, well some of them. Remarkable.  Over the years we have bought quite a few bits and pieces at DSE and they often had the best price for printer ink. So sad. Thanks corporate greed.


Just to cheer, our lunch was nice enough and we did come across this rather lovely mural in Moonee Ponds. Isn't it a ripper?


21 comments:

  1. I agree about DSE. I too have bought several things from them over the years until I found that Officeworks was cheaper. Somewhere along the way they lost their way. I thought it was ludicrous for Dick Smith himself to be commenting in the media about the failure of the chain. If he felt so passionate about it, why did he sell or why didn't he step in and buy it back?
    I didn't find any bargains when I popped into one of our stores here. They had DSE TVs but figured I would be buying it without warranty.

    My son worked for WOW Sight & Sound when they went bust a few years ago. And looking at the state of our JB Hi-Fi store I would not be surprised to learn that they are in trouble too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I meant to say .. You should have a program called the Snipping Tool as part of Windows. Try that instead of screen printing.

      Delete
    2. Carol, generally we have found Officeworks to be better and at times cheaper and they will price match. I think our JB Hi-Fi stores are doing ok, no doubt helped by the demise of DSE. I don't know if we had the WOW company down here. First port of call with a warranty claim is the retailer, but if there is a problem there, ultimately the manufacturer is responsible. Thanks for the tip about Snip.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. It is a sad indictment isn't it? The DSE stores here had very little in them when himself went to look recently. I heard yesterday that their gift cards haven't been honoured since early January. Anyone with one goes on the (probably long) unsecured creditors list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I guess we watched the same tv show. Gift cards can be perilous. Spend them quickly seems to be the way to go.

      Delete
  3. Big corporate greed has a lot to answer for I think.
    Loved your inclusion of the mural. It is certainly a ripper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, CM. Pleased you like the mural.

      Delete
  4. It is tragic time for the staff who will lose their jobs, some of whom have worked for Dick Smith for ever. The more said about the shenanigans of big business, banks and Arrium in Whyalla, the better. Do the directors of these failed companies have to go on the Old Age Pension and move into a Housing Commission flat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am smiling at your ridiculous thought about directors, but they damned well should.

      Delete
    2. I agree, let them have to live as we do. It won't happen of course, they have lovely fat bank accounts.

      Delete
    3. Yes, River, the send companies broke but for some queer reason, it does not affect their wealth.

      Delete
  5. The sad demise of a decent business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I really wonder at times if capitalism is the best system we could have.

      Delete
  6. That is a lovely mural. I need to check if our city DSE is still open, I'd like another set of external speakers so I can set up my ipod in the bedroom without having to carry speakers back and forth. The computer speakers are plugged in under the table and slightly behind the TV cabinet and I don't want to be crawling around under there all the time. Extra USB sticks wouldn't go astray either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, shall your Musical Monday be Cliff Richard's Wired for Sound>

      Delete
  7. Big companies are criminals in my books.It is happening to too many small businesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, don't in a way you want to turn back the clock to days when we did not receive hourly currency updates and share reports, when we did not know what big business was up to, when banks were very conservative lenders?

      Delete
  8. It's rather sad that those stores have to close. Too many jobs lots because of the wrong decisions by management.
    Over the years we bought several items from the store.
    Husband just bought a new Samsung S7 and he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, everyone seems to really like their S7. I am pretty pleased with my S6.

      Delete
  9. They lost their way big time. However I am sad that they're no longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Fen, now it is down to JB, Officeworks and Norma Harvey. Where did you buy your phone btw?

      Delete