Saturday, April 09, 2016

Cheapskate?

Is it our age or our personalities? Nothing seems to illustrate the gap between my two older nieces and R and myself than our attitude to money. About a year ago we were somewhere with Hippie Niece and she needed some cash. Before I even get to the point I am about to make is, we generally make sure we have enough cash before going anywhere, if we think we will need it. She also has a mobile phone that has a perpetually flat battery and out of credit. She is not over the top with her phone use, but she does not see the merit of having it charge while she sleeps, even though once when she stayed here we had a charger for her phone.

Right, to the point. She needed cash. Where is an ATM? We asked which bank she uses and she said it didn't matter. Well it does up to the point because the last time I withdrew cash from another bank's ATM rather than my own bank's ATM, it cost me $2 to do so. Since, I've never used another bank's ATM unless overseas. R does the same.

Are we just cheapskates? Or is Hippie Niece careless with money? Or is it that R and myself know full well it costs the bank nothing like $2 to transact between themselves and they are overcharging us. Whatever, they don't get $2 from us, ever.

The old saying goes, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Unfortunately that is not quite true. While we do worry about small amounts of money, we are not so good with larger amounts. While we can quite happily bargain for things in third world countries, we are not very good in doing it in our own country. I find it kind of distasteful to do it here, but we should as bargains are to be had by indicating you are not prepared to pay full price. I guess that is why our department stores have perpetual sales. Australian's like a cheap price but mostly don't like to bargain or talk about price.

Our friend can be an embarrassing person at a restaurant when things don't go quite right. I don't like a fuss, but he revels in it. The staff will get it, and then he will ask for the manager. He does get results though. I am sure our airline Qantas has a file on him that says do anything to appease him. His complaints are quite legitimate but most of us would wear them. He complains about his Qantas flights and gets compensated, frequently and often. He visits our big office supply company to buy ink for his business standard printer. If the salesperson won't discount the inks, he asks for the manager, who generally does.

So much conflict. It is not for me. It is only if I feel I have been cheated that I will get motivated.

23 comments:

  1. If niece has hippie tendencies she probably doesn't get stressed about not having money or not having her phone charged/in credit? I am forever trying to tell my son to take cash out instead of swiping his card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you are correct. She never worries about such things. I will add that she is reasonably responsible with money though. While I am a little envious of people like that, I am pleased I am the way I am.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you and R on being properly cashed up for expected expenditure and generally I'm not easily provoked into complaints about service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I Pay Wave a lot and there is little rhyme or reason as to whether I pay with cash or card, but I do like to have a decent amount of cash with me.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:11 am

    What will Hippie Niece do should we ever get to a cashless society? On the other hand, I always pay cash for supermarket groceries to speed up my departure. Nothing worse than being held up in the line while others go through the credit card paperwork. Over and over again. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, being delayed like that should be a thing of the past. For less than $100, you just scan your card. Over that, you have to insert/swipe and enter your PIN. Unbelievably, I still see people signing. A cashless society is interesting to ponder. Tradespeople won't like it.

      Delete
  4. It's your age dear, but that's okay x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fen, thanks heaps.

      Delete
  5. I think it's a bit late for me to worry about being careful with money but I do have a 50c tin, a 5c tin, and a note tin and I've found that after saving beyond a certain amount I'm reluctant to spend it when $20 I can make disappear in 2 seconds. I have enough now to buy the carpet square I'll use all the time and a chainsaw I'll only use in Autumn. Andrew, make a decision for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, the chainsaw of course. Revenge is sweet.

      Delete
  6. Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. Ha ha. I've looked after my pennies all my life and the only pounds I've gained are the ones sitting around my hips :(
    I think maybe Hippie Niece is careless with money, but perhaps only because she hasn't been taught to be careful or doesn't yet appreciate its true value. I charge my phone and kindle overnight, not all night, but the hours between dinner and bed is when they get plugged in and I always use my own bank ATM since I found out about the charges.
    I have a similar savings scheme to JahTeh, but just lately I've been using the coins to shop with instead of any notes I might or might not have. Checkout girls always need 20cent and 50cent pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, re the pounds, you and me both. It is a silly old saying that is quite untrue, no doubt circulated in olden days to oppress the poor even more. I expect you are the perfect supermarket person when you arrive at the register, including for checkout chappies.

      Delete
    2. River, you crack me up with that one!

      Delete
  7. I think it may be an age thing. I flatly refuse to pay the bank to access my money. I am reluctant to make a fuss, but like you WILL make one if I feel I have been cheated. A big fuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we think alike girlfriend.

      Delete
  8. I still have my passbook account, I've had it since I was 5 no statements are needed and I don't use atm's now since I retired, time is unlimited I am no longer in a hurry, interest is not so good but I don't have much money so who cares, but I do check my woolies receipt and if they make a mistake I like to point it out
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lordy Merle, you are like my mother with her passbook. Thank god she doesn't have credit cards. We have at times found mistakes and it galls me that when we point them out, we are an inconvenience. While I know it is not the fault of the person we are dealing with, still....

      Delete
  9. I hate the banks for charging $2.00 to withdraw money. I use my debit card instead of cash, but usually have a note and a few coins just incase needed.
    Always ask is that the best price, accept it if not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, funnily that is exactly what we do, is that the best price? I do the same, use my Visa debit card but there are times when it is better to use your credit card if you later want to dispute a transaction. Some times you can dispute your debit card but nearly always you can dispute your credit card.

      Delete
  10. How old is the Hippie Niece? If she is single, living at home and dependent on Bank of the Parents, she has no need to consider the true costs of goods and services.

    If she is living in her own flat and totally dependent on her own salary, she would be much more careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I think she is 23. he is a contract DSE firefighter at the moment and financially independent. She has lived away from home but at the moment is with her mother because it is near her work base. Mid year she is heading for England and Europe for a couple or months on her own, although she has various contacts sprinkled around Europe and the Continent. Oh yes, Contiki tour to begin with. She has paid for that already and has money to sustain her for the rest of her travels.

      Delete
  11. It was nice in Finland that ATMs did not charge a fee for withdrawals regardless of which bank you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I can't remember if we have paid ATM fees or not, but we have certainly paid bank fees when using cards overseas. It is pretty well unavoidable these days. Can you still buy travellers cheques?

      Delete