Wednesday, March 23, 2016

What Sup

The life of a retiree and a working person:

Tuesday 15th, attend Good Guys to correct previous purchases. Lunch, Sandbar, Middle Park. So nice to lunch at the edge of the sand with water views.

Wednesday 16th, nothing much, just work.

Thursday 17th, R takes Mother out. Picks up Dog Jack on the way home. Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo arrive a little before 6 and go off to a recording of RockQwiz at The Espy. I arrive home from work at 7 and Little Jo and ourselves ate R's most excellent lasagne. Sis, Bone Doctor and Little Jo stayed the night but I saw neither of the former two as I was off to work before they awoke.  They were gone before 7.30 to make the 1:20 journey home for Bone Doctor to start work and Little Jo to get to school. Rain was falling heavily, so it must have been an awful trip home.

After R's last volunteer shift, he had a good and harsh whinge about the roster person who writes impossible rosters. Par for the course. He had very bad thoughts about her, as he has in the past. He was a bit upset when he was called Thursday morning and told the roster person at about the age of late 50s was dead. As poor as she was as rostering, at least she made the calls to volunteers on Thursday nights to let them know their starting time for the next day. Her quick replacement forgot to make the calls, so R assumed he did not have to attend on Friday.

Friday 18th. While tidying up after hurricane Bellarine family left at an early hour, R was quickly called to work on Friday. He had to take Dog Jack out for a quick walk and rush off to work. I arrived home at lunch time quite puzzled. Where is R? He said he wasn't working today. Perhaps as discussed he is doing Saturday shopping on Friday, but no, the shopping trolley is still at home. I guessed he went to work, in spite of him saying he would not go if a mistake had been made. Unlike me, he is such a kind person, hey Jah Teh. He was so dog tired and exhausted when he came home, I had to guide him through paying online the deposit for the kitchen from his bank account. He had recovered by the time I arrived home at 7pm. The evening was spent discussing plans for Saturday, my day off, in the company of the Scottish Doctor.

Saturday 19th. My visage looked extra plain when I rose at 7, no doubt the fault of the Scottish Doctor. Nevertheless, I had to function and I did. I was showered by 8. The appliance delivery person was to call at 8 to deliver to us our kitchen appliances. R left home at 8.30 to attend a work training course. I took Dog Jack out just before R left. 9am delivery man called. I'll see you between 1 and 3. Ah, that makes our plans for the afternoon sticky. We are going into town to buy easter eggs, see a movie and have dinner. Fortunately the delivery was just after 1, so R had time for a wee nap and Dog Jack got an extra walk for the day.

We went into town on the tram of course. But it is Grand Prix weekend, so the trams are operating differently. As we arrived at the tram stop, people were being turfed off a tram that was returning to St Kilda. We waited with the crowd and caught the second next tram to arrive and it was nearly empty so we had a seat. But we were then turfed off the tram at Flinders Street and not a tram behind us was to be seen. R was very cross with Yarra Trams and soundly berated the customer service person and then I had to listen to his moaning while we walked from Flinders Street to Bourke Street. He was not at all distracted by the Indian dancers in the City Square, not even by a bearded hipster in a pink tutu on a monocycle.

The glitzy world of Target's Easter egg department distracted him from wanting to blow up Yarra Trams. We bought eggs. For the first time we only bought eggs for people who we will see at Easter, rather than the extended family to be given youp to a month later.

We were a bit early to see  to see the movie and so we had coffee and cake. For a short time we queued behind old people buying movie tickets to the same movie we were seeing, in spite of there being seven other movies showing at the The Kino Cinemas. We enjoyed Lady in the Van. Maggie Smith, as the best English actors do, played herself and she did so brilliantly. Pathos was involved and the actor who played playwright Alan Bennett did so with wonderful restraint. Knowing nothing in advance of the movie, about one third into it I clicked that Alan character was based on Alan Bennett.

We had a nice enough meal afterwards at a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. With our bag of Easter eggs in tow, we were given a table for four. A table for two was next to us and soon a man in maybe his late forties sat with a man in his early twenties. It quickly became clear they were not father and son. I was idly gazing around when I noticed at another older man with a younger man. This pair was more obvious by the way they were dressed. Ah, there are two dykes in the corner there. R said, don't look now but two more have arrived, that is two more gay guys. We are drowning in a cesspit of homosexuals and lesbians in this inexpensive Chinese restaurant.

Afterwards we struck an interesting situation when we went to pay. R offered over his card and the madame said something like, Sir, there is a credit card fee if you use your card. I forget the figures she mentioned and she then came up with a figure for cash that was less than the original amount. We were both a little flummoxed by what was going on. I had enough cash, so I paid the reduced amount. Confusing people in such situations is a tried and true tactic when something not quite right is going on. While we weren't cheated, I expect taxpayers may be losing out somewhere.

Sunday 20st, nightmare at work, while R travelled to the Mornington Peninsula for a barbeque to celebrate Little M's 2nd birthday..

Monday 21st, Dog Jack's mum is supposed to pick him up at about 12. Her flight is delayed, twice, and she eventually gets here from Launceston at 4. It has taken her the whole day to make a 50 minute flight. Nice work Jetstar. The Brother Friends have returned from Thailand after a month away. The not so well one spent two non consecutive weeks in a western hospital. Tomorrow Ex NT Politician/Policeman will return from his travels.

Timelines are jumping about, so as I write this, Tuesday, it is R's birthday. Thursday it is Mother's birthday and Monday is Step-Mother's birthday. We are off to the Bellarine for Easter.





31 comments:

  1. Andrew definitely as a working people we are very busy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy complex life you lead, juggling so many family, friends, the dog, your work, and you do it well, as far as I can tell, from way up here in the northland, where it is still raining, but maybe Friday there will be sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not as bad as it sounds, Strayer. Fingers crossed for you for some sun.

      Delete
  3. 'A cesspit of homosexuals and lesbians'? Perhaps the committee should reconsider your membership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, reconsideration was probably already underway.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday to all.
    I was given the book of The Lady in the Van for Christmas. Allan Bennett was considerably more generous and kinder than I think I could muster.
    And Strayer is right. You do lead a busy and complicated life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I thought Bennett was remarkably tolerant but he did seem to be in a position to be able to be tolerant.

      Delete
  5. Happy Easter and warm Birthday wishes to the celebrants. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blogoratti. Good wishes to you in return.

      Delete
  6. R is far too kind for the likes of you. I would hug him and kiss him and love him and make him all mine, now hand him over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, all that glitters is not gold. I'll loan him to you, but don't feed him.

      Delete
  7. Andrew I'm tired just reading about it, maybe have a nanna nap, your life is busier than mine.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I don't do nanna naps, but I do sleep quite soundly at night.

      Delete
  8. There is absolutely no way I could keep up with the two of you! Sounds like the Chinese restaurant is avoiding paying taxes, we have one here which does the same and will not accept credit cards under any circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, as I said earlier, it probably sounds worse than it is. Australian restaurants are probably all ripping off taxpayers to a greater or lesser degree. It is hard to police them.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday to all.
    Busy times, I remember well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, there may be a time in the future when I am bored and wish for more things to happen, but I cannot foresee it.

      Delete
  10. That's a very busy week you've had and now a lot of birthdays. Happy Birthday to everyone.
    Reminds me of February when I used to have six family birthdays, then my parents died, now there are only four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, four birthdays in a month is enough. Do you still send cards?

      Delete
  11. Your visage extra plain!!! I don't believe that for one moment Andrew :) sometimes you get days like that and then others are so quiet, I don't get many like the latter so I languish with pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, when we meet, you will see for yourself. I am old and haggard.

      Delete
  12. You manage to get out and about quite a lot considering you are still working. Enjoy all the birthday meals that are sure to be on your agenda this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, indeed there is a bit of killing of the fattened pig.

      Delete
  13. Happiest of birthday to R. I need a nap now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I was telling him last night about your new phone.

      Delete
    2. I gave it to someone to fondle today, they loved how sexy it is!!

      Delete
    3. I did not realise that 7 doesn't have a glass back as 6 did. Clearly I was not the only person who smashed the back.

      Delete
  14. You both need that weekend away after that week. I feel exhausted following all the comings and goings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it has all gone so wrong with Sister offending R over the phone today. I was so looking forward to the time away and now it is all spoilt. I suppose we will make the best of it, but R is threatening to not go.

      Delete