Monday, March 28, 2016

We is returned

I am  sorry if I offend you because you live like Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo live, but there you go. We are used to neat and tidy, and reasonably clean. Ok, don't look under things, but what you will see as a visitor will appear to be very clean.

How they can live like they do, in a house of chaos, dirt and junk spread throughout the house, I do not know.

Dogs are funny. When Dog Jack visits us, if he can, he likes to get hold of one of Little's Jo's teddies and give it a good shake in his mouth. Sister's dog likes to do the same and gave the one of Little Jo's teddies a good shaking. Then I accidentally stood on the teddy where Sister's dog had left it.

In frustration of a couple of days of extreme untidiness and general chaos in the house with Little Jo dropping everything wherever she stood, from clothes to paper notes to anything, the second time I stood on the teddy, I gave it a good kicking and it flew up onto the dining table. Ah, said Sister, Uncle Andrew is a soccer star. If only she knew the frustration that went into that kick.

The Easter visit almost did not happen when Sister called R on the Thursday and informed him that we should not arrive before 2.30 as she was having a visitor for lunch. Umm, Sister, our visit is prearranged and how dare you have lunch guests when we normally arrive. There are all sorts of permutations. Sister could have invited us for lunch too. She could have apologised to R and said on the phone, sorry, but I double booked and please come at the normal time if you want, but L and children will be here for lunch. Sister walks on tenterhooks with R and so when speaking to him, she does not behave normally and that is the problem. I didn't really care that we arrived later on Good Friday, but R did have a valid point. When we visit to stay, we normally arrive in time for lunch.

Thursday before Easter, Sister called R to tell him the above and he fumed that night and said he wasn't going. As I knew he would, he relented. He wanted to see Little Jo, but it was touch and go for a while. R said to Sister, did you call your brother Andrew back who has been trying to speak to you? She did eventually call me and I sorted out that she had plain breakfast tea for Mother and R, and instant coffee for me in the morning. She had already told R she had hot cross buns. We had bought some fish fingers as R only eats fish on Good Friday, and I have acquired the habit. But no need, Sister had been to the local pier and bought mussels, whiting and salmon for our dinner.  Mother only eats plain food, so something different was made for her. It was ABI Brother's first experience of eating grilled salmon. Sister cooked the salmon ok, but R does it so much better, with black stripes I might add.

Anyway, in spite of the aforesaid issues, we had a lovely time at Sister's. But how nice is it to be in your own clean and tidy home, with showers that propel water at 10 litres per minute, rather than Sister's 1 litre per minute shower.

Photos and tales later, with less whingeing. Oh, while we were travelling down to the Bellarine, we were talking about my step mother and amazing she is at 78 and so different to 82 year old Mother. It is her birthday as I write this on the 27th. Once at Sister's, we discover Step Mother is in hospital with fluid on her lungs. Tradie Brother was visiting her over Easter, and providing support to her partner. She is now back home.

Ho hum, another little holiday post from Andrew, but hey, although there are no photos, I did shower outdoors as naked as I was born and it was exhilarating. Later.


34 comments:

  1. Andrew, visiting family can be nice but some people love living in chaos. Personally I am tidy person but I often have chaos in my wardrobe because I am indecisive what to wear. Luckily the rest of my flat is clean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, do not look in my wardrobe either.

      Delete
  2. Oh golly gosh! We do have to sometimes stay with family like yours to appeciate 'home'..
    I recall my husband buying a new shower head for the shower in the apartment we were in on the Sunshine Coast for 6 weeks once. 'Twas much improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, at the front of Sister's house was a bag with a shower head poking out the top of the bag. I wondered if it was a better shower head and should I substitute for the exiting shower head. Good on your husband. I would do the same if was in a place for a long time.

      Delete
  3. Family can be a minefield some days. I am so glad that you DID have a lovely time.
    I am not offended, but envious. Our house is as clean as I can manage, but it is rarely tidy. My partner is a pack rat. An untidy pack rat. Chaos and mess are too often the rule here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, as R said when we discussing it, it would be a shame if we were all the same, and it would. Different strokes for different folks.

      Delete
  4. Families can drive a person nuts :( Mine own of course, but all the middle aged people around me say the same thing. People don't have to adore each other, just because they are siblings or cousins, but they do need to behave!

    Great decision about the mussels, whiting and salmon for our dinner, especially the grilled salmon. Joe and I don't eat meat, so we get all our protein from fish, eggs and dairy products. Utterly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, what great words. We don't have to adore each or even like each other, but we are family. I keep my tongue still about salmon and never tell anyone that R grills salmon better than anyone, at a home or at a restaurant.

      Delete
  5. What's wrong with living in chaos? Try living here in a perpetual snow storm from a fur shedding giant white cat. And I did have a present for you, shame you didn't have it for that outdoor shower. Personally I wouldn't have an outdoor shower, Japanese whalers have spotter helicopters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I just cannot cope with disorganisation. I must say, things did stir when I saw your post of what might have amused me to be with in an outdoor shower.

      Delete
  6. Family holidays - fun, frustrating, exhausting, and thankfully only once a year or less.
    Staying with people is hard, even close family.
    We try and keep our house clean and tidy, but with both parents working, kids, a dog and frequent visits and sleepovers with kids' friends, it's never as clean/tidy as I'd like. Consequently we don't have grown-up guests to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, as soon as anyone visits, our place is a mess, even just Dog Jack. I do understand, but we are of an age and set in our ways.

      Delete
  7. I do keep things relatively tidy. The kids were here last weekend and within 5 minutes it was chaos. Stuff everywhere! Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, the fly in fly out chaos is always fine with me.

      Delete
  8. I have children who live in a similar chaotic state, having grown up with neat-and-tidy me, I don't know how this could have happened, but it did. Nevertheless they are delightful young people and I love them and visit them often, but it's always nice to get home to my own space, where things are in cupboards and drawers and the sink is empty. My sister, on the other hand, is a hoarder and I rarely visit, when I do, we sit on her front porch. I won't go inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, my siblings are all so different to each other in those areas, but none of us are like Mother in that area. I remember your last visit to you sister. It was a bad.

      Delete
  9. Ah visitors they are fun but not all live under the same standards, but they do go home and all is well again, you can always tidy up.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry I got that wrong you were visiting, I have been in houses where I don't eat if I can get out of it, take away is always good.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, you place is full of things, of bits and pieces. Your life shows in your house and garden and I love it. Sister only learnt to cook at about the age of 30 and she doesn't do a bad job of it. No need for takeaway.

      Delete
  11. I work along the lines that if everything has its place things give the impression of being organised.. as for dusting, that's another matter :) Well I've spent the weekend trying to please the two sides of the family, mine and P's.. Exhausting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes, neatness gives the impression of cleanliness but some dust must be attended to ie very visible surfaces. Sounds like your Easter was very busy.

      Delete
  12. You don't like crazy music
    You don't like rockin' bands
    You just want to go
    To a movie show
    And sit there
    Holdin' hands

    -That's Elvis.

    You like clean and tidy?

    Don't come to my place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RH, you are safe that I won't be knocking at your door.

      Delete
  13. Glad you had a good time, Andrew:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you might have had a more relaxing Easter back in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it would have been relaxing to stay at home, but we have to fight the urge.

      Delete
  15. I hate staying at other people's places .. Would rather stay in a hotel where there are dry bath mats and a clean toilet. I don't really care how other people live, I just don't want to be that intimate with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, same here, but it was Easter and we did check and it would have cost us $500 for two nights.

      Delete
  16. I bet you have more wrinkles in your birthday suit than the day you were born.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, my face does but not my body. At the age of 30 I was 58kg. I am now 82kg, so the skin is stretched and there are no body wrinkles. How is that for painting the best picture of a bad job?

      Delete
  17. You made me laugh with your family problems and order and chaos etc ! Apparently all families in the world are the same ! You should visit my son and family ! It's amazing that I find myself !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, we have to remember that we are not all the same and some people live one way, and others live another way. Lol at not finding yourself at your son's.

      Delete