Friday, March 25, 2016

Trains and the devil

Where you begin and where you end on the internet can be very different places when you sit down to to find something out.

When in Canada I heard about a spiral tunnel used by trains. That sounded like fun to me. Faster Daddy, go faster. Alas we are talking about Canadian freight trains which cautiously crawl all over the country's often very rough terrain, so there is no speed involved here.

The spiral tunnels replaced a very steep but only temporary new train line at Kicking Horse Pass to link Canada's west coast to the east.

I've looked at several clips and found what I think is the best one to demonstrate the tunnels. Hmm, I like the music that accompanies the clip but there is no information about the track. I knew one day there would be a use for Shazam when I first downloaded it to my phone many years ago and it resides on my newest phone. It only took a couple of notes for Shazam to tell me the track is called "The Devil's Gotta' Earn", by US born and very talented Brett Detar. He is not too shabby in my view. Well, sorry, he is shabby, but cultivated shabby.


Here is the clip of the spiral tunnels, 2:21 with the peek a boo moment at 1:25. We are away for a few days, so probably no posts until after Easter.


28 comments:

  1. Can't watch the vid just now, internet is too slow, but I'll be sure to do so when the changeover is complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky I think you will like the music.

      Delete
  2. An engineering marvel.
    Have fun while you are away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like a long slow snake.
    Have I missed something where have you gone.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to my sister's for a couple of days, Merle.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of spiral tunnels before, I liked the music very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am not exactly sure of the genre of the music but it was good.

      Delete
  5. Andrew what a lovely tunel and journey. Have a greaT Easter for you and yours..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, awesome video of the train...it's long!
    Have a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although Margaret, our outback trains are apparently the longest in the world.

      Delete
  7. We were lucky enough to see that when we were in Canada. Quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be amazing to see Diane.

      Delete
  8. I had to watch it twice before figuring it out how it worked...I'm having a slow morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matching the speed of the train, Ad Rad.

      Delete
  9. Andrew old bean, greetings. Cultivated shabby is popular among social workers. The nong clients feel well dressed. I notice Les Twentyman (Champion of the downtrodden) is doing funeral ads now. I hope he's not on the public payroll as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RH, perhaps Twentyman needs to prepay for his own funeral and needs the cash. Bit sad doing ads though.

      Delete
  10. I thought we travelled through the (a?) spiral tunnel on The Rocky Mountaineer. Maybe it was a different one.

    Not normally my type of music but I did enjoy this track; it certainly suited the vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I certainly remember Kicking Horse Pass, but I think we were in the coach. I would certainty remember if we had travelled through such a tunnel. Our train trip was different to yours.

      Delete
  11. I didn't see it at first. I thought, well this is just a long slow train on a track, then I saw it. And what a slow darn train.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, that is how they are in Canada and I expect really big freight trains in the US are quite slow too.

      Delete
  12. The train looks like a snake !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very long snake, Gattina.

      Delete
  13. Perhaps needs to prepay for his own funeral, you say.

    That's pretty funny, made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyed the peek a boo moment Andrew :) Have a fab Easter weekend at your skin and blisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, skin and blisters made me smile.

      Delete