Wednesday, March 09, 2016

To pluck or not

Some years ago I bought R a nasal and ear hair trimming device. Recently as we made our way through Priceline, (known to the posh and gay as the Italian company Prick-ee-leeny), using it as shortcut, he noticed a Remington model on special and so bought it at my urging. These appliances develop in a short time to being much better than earlier models.

I don't use one. I don't like the idea of sticking a motorised device into any of my orifices. How would I be with my shaky hands? I am sure I would take off the skin from inside my nose. No, I prefer the old fashioned way, plucking. I stand in front of the mirror and pluck away and I've been plucking for years, since I first found hair growing in unwanted places. I consider my plucking works better long term too. I had a small hairy mole on my shoulder and for years I plucked and plucked and finally I killed the hair. I still have the mole on my shoulder, and there is nothing worse than living with an obvious mole, but at least it no longer needs frequent plucking.

Apparently for some Asian people it is bad luck to pluck a mole, but otherwise Asians do a lot of plucking. Some Asian people use a special plucking device that is both effective, but also a painful plucking. It is some sort of cotton on mounts that rips hairs out. I don't think I would like that sort of plucking. I don't mind plucking but I don't like extreme plucking.

I have yet to hear the verdict about the new grooming device. No matter what it is, I will just stick to plucking. I pluck early and pluck often.


19 comments:

  1. I have seen that 'Asian' technique of using cotton in these fancy eyebrow bars they now have in shopping centres. I am sure you gave them in Melbourne too.

    You are brave plucking hair in a mole. Have you had the mole checked out? It might worth just asking your GP or in QLD we have skin screening clinics to look at moles and sunspots.

    Perhaps extra body hair as we age is something we all have in common, although it is not really lunchroom conversation is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Carol. I have only seen it used for large areas, like legs. Yes, every so often I get my skin checked. More hair growing in unwelcome places is one curse of aging.

      Delete
  2. I have seen 'threading' too.
    How do you see to pluck your ears?
    And I am sorry a very bad joke is stuck in my head and I am going to pass it on.
    Where do flies go in winter?
    Up old men's noses. You can see their legs hanging down...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, thanks for the name. I just pluck away with tweezers until there is nothing left for them to grasp. I don't have to see. Men with hair hanging from their noses is quite disgusting. The joke would appeal to kids.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:11 am

    You've never put a motorised device into any orifice? Not even one that vibrates and feels so gooooood! Are you sure? :) - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian. It only took three comments to get there, and I am not saying.

      Delete
  4. nice device but I don't think so safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't know but I think they must be quite safe. They are very popular.

      Delete
  5. Looks painful to me.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, one must suffer to be beautiful.

      Delete
  6. Some women(me)also have visible nose hairs as they age, I tried plucking, but usually can't get hold of any individual hair easily and when I did manage to pluck one out, my eyes watered rather badly. I've been thinking of investing in a trimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yank them out with your thumb and forefinger using your nails, if not too long. You get used to the pain and the eyes stop watering with some experience. Or you can just keep sticking the tweezers in and yanking out whatever they grasp.

      Delete
    2. nails? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
      No nails here, they break if I even just look at them, wussie little softies.

      Delete
  7. Its a plucking waste of time. A trimmer is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you convinced me and I just asked R what he did with his old one, and he has thrown it out. I'll just continue to pluck. I am not so hairy.

      Delete
  8. Too much information. I have a general lack of interest in your and R's pluck life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, I'm a plucker too, not in my ears and nose yet though :) Really enjoyed the comments on this one Andrew :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, lucky you to not have to deal with ear and nose hair. Yes, they gave good comment.

      Delete