Friday, March 18, 2016

Sophie (rude, vulgar, swearing)

I have headlined this rude, vulgar and swearing so that there will be great interest in this clip. Nevertheless the warning is quite valid.

Born of Jewish Ukrainian parents, Sophie Tucker was a female performer of a plain appearance in the early to mid twentieth century . The BBC has a brilliant podcast about Sophie online here somewhere.

After Sophie died, no one would have remembered her if not for Bette Midler, who began her career as a performer in gay bath houses in the US, bathhouses being places where gay men would visit to connect.

Bette Midler is just great, with the only blight on her brilliance being the song Wind Beneath My Wings, but I expect she has made a lot of money from that. I can't bear the song.

Bette took over the Sophie persona and repeated many of Sophie's performances and jokes with great aplomb. As adorable as Sophie must have been and Bette is too, this clip is quite vulgar. I ran it past R and he laughed a lot. The jokes are old and tired now, but Bette's delivery is just great. Hard to believe how Sophie got away with such stuff in the early to mid nineteen hundreds. I did not know Joanna Lumley hosted a talk/performance show. I don't think we saw it here.

Clasp at your pearls in mock horror as you must girlfriends, but don't tell me you didn't laugh. The jokes are ones I have heard before, so therefore I think I laughed more at the apology to the English.

The clip is 4:22 and I think the music and singing adds to it, so do watch the whole thing. It's your own brief cabaret experience at home.



29 comments:

  1. That's hysterical. I love Bette Midler. The Rose is one of my favorite songs of all time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCt7RvEkK8s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm listening to all these versions of The Rose on youtube. Just stirs my heart that song.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, it is a very nice song and I've always liked it.

      Delete
  2. Start the Day
    With a Cabaret
    has real charm. Thanks Andrew. Still snickering at the vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, boom boom. Most people don't start the day with cabaret, but maybe we should.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't know how old she was in the clip, but she has always looked gorgeously groomed. Bette is now 71.

      Delete
  4. I have seen Bette Midler doing Sophie Tucker-type material many times before, but I have never seen the last of the red hot mamas herself. So thank you and the BBC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I had only heard some years ago. It is better to see her perform. I think Sophie would have been a fabulous person to know.

      Delete
  5. That is really funny! So glad I decided to give myself an hour computer time today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. Your effort to note your approval of the clip is much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. When I was a teen, one of Ms. M's shows (from Cleveland, I think) was on the then new and exciting premium cable tv channel in the US. Known for not censoring anything, even in the late 70s, I was exposed not only to the divine one herself, but to her Sophie Tucker routine as well. Such fun and good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, it was the tv channel that was know for not censoring, not me. There really needs to be an "edit" option in the comments section for those of us who click "publish" before we proofread!

      Delete
    2. Walt, these days while we might get a lot more swearing on tv, it seems so much about sex has been pulled back. I've just remembered, The Divine Miss M. Both Bette and Sophie were deliciously wicked and it is no surprise that I am re-discovering them. No edit, s copy your original text, delete the comment and then I will delete it permanently, then comment again with the edited version. I've done that if it was important.

      Delete
  7. Good old cabaret gets the toes tapping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, cabaret is quite ageless and timeless, I think.

      Delete
    2. Btw, Bill might like tomorrow's post.

      Delete
  8. Unfortunately didn't understand enough, but I like Bette Middler !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just as well you missed some things, Gattina.

      Delete
  9. We saw her in new York and enjoyed the show, but i did miss her less sanitized performances from the 80s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, home ground for her in NY, I think. How great that you did see her though.

      Delete
  10. That was funny, entertaining.
    Gosh, didn't realise that Bette was 71, at least she's older than I.
    I quite like Wind beneath my Wings,..the lyrics are very meaningful, but that's only my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. There you go Margaret. You like WBMW, so have a listen to it on your pad tonight before you sleep.










      Delete
  11. Lovely way to be sent to sleep. I've adored Miss M since my teenhood, although I have to agree with you about WBMW. My blood sugar levels are rising, just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, maybe the song is disliked so much because it has been overused.

      Delete
  12. Did you just fart? Do you think I always smell like this? I have actually used that line in real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, and could have been said by either woman.

      Delete
  13. Unable to watch (or, rather, listen to) that particular clip at the moment, but just want to say I love Bette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirk, I had forgotten how good she was.

      Delete