Wednesday, March 16, 2016

New Kitchen

Our kitchen is 17 years old and tired. We have never liked the faux timber cupboards. The oven door is falling apart. The tap is dripping. While I love the black granite benchtop that sparkles and shines when it polished with a window cleaner, since R has retired and now does the cooking and the after dinner clean up, keeping it sparkling is driving him crazy.


Our initial thought was to just get the cupboard doors recoated with a gloss white. A man called to give us a quote. 'The shelves above the 'fridge will be difficult. May I suggest you have them closed in like a normal cupboard?' "The inside of your cupboard doors will still be brown, or if you choose, a dull white. It will be cheaper to replace the doors and get rid of the old fashioned rounded corners'. 'Do you want new handles?' Yes, yes and yes, we answered.

 


Chosen handle, bottom left, one that won't hook sleeves.

 

Then it was our turn for questions. 'Can we have some cupboards built to go in front of the bar, which is not used?' 'Can you also give us two quotes, the second being for including new modern stone benchtops'. This was no problem. The quote with new benchtops was double but I convinced R that we should have them, not because I particularly wanted them but I knew he would never be happy with the black granite.

A new sink was not essential but we felt a new tap was. I am increasingly impressed by the company The Good Guys in Brighton. We attended and were well served. There was some sticker shock for me when I saw the prices of a decent sink and a smart new mixer tap. There was much botheration about a new sink but eventually we chose one, a superseded double bowl model without a draining board at about half price. We chose a tap, but that seemed a bit rushed. It is safe to say, we weren't well mentally prepared. We also bought a new Ilve electric oven and gas hotplates at a bargain price.


That was last Friday and over the long (public holiday) weekend we sweated about our choices and discussed them endlessly. Three different 'absolute' decisions were made about the the sink. We realised the tap was too tall and would stick up over the top of the higher bench. 

We returned yesterday and hoped that we could change our order, given we had already paid. We chose a lower tap and a quite large single bowl sink. We thought our former choice looked too industrial for us. Changing our minds was no problem and and even ended up being a little cheaper. We are now happy with our choices.

Today our cupboard doors will be removed, along with drawer fronts and the oven surround panel, along with a few other bits. The kitchen will still be functional, with the bar propped up at the end.


Next week someone will attend to measure up the bench tops and about two weeks after that, all will be installed.

It looks like an overseas holiday is not on the horizon this year.

27 comments:

  1. Oh yikes. Remodeling is hell, Andrew. I hope you both survive it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, we have done much worse than a simple kitchen job over the years. Think of jack hammer taking out brick walls.

      Delete
  2. wow a new kitchen sounds great. My kitchen is old too and the nwe will be installed this June. We put new tiles and paint it,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, that will be exciting for you.

      Delete
  3. When you've finished with your kitchen refurbishment would you like to manage mine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, sorry, no. Your kitchen is perfectly fine for not cooking in.

      Delete
  4. That's exciting. I am impressed that you managed to make all those decisions so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I suppose over the years you discuss things and get to know what each other likes and the merits of different things.

      Delete
  5. Does the kitchen have a window or glass door to the outside? In my squillion years of cooking, light timber was always important and so was natural light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, none at all. When cooking, really the lights over the counter have to be on.

      Delete
  6. A very big job. We had ours done a few years back (ten?) and I still love it. Yay for natural stone bench tops. Ours is granite, but a green granite.
    I hope it goes smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think I know that granite and I like it. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see the results Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, keep expectations low, but thanks.

      Delete
  8. It is difficult making choices. You will feel good when its done. We had old cupboards replaced with big self closing drawers. They are much easier for getting plates in and out. Ceramic hotplates are a joy to clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I love self closing things, but where do we stop? We had to draw the line somewhere. We would have liked an induction cook top too, but that would require new wiring into the apartment, I believe. Anyway, we prefer gas and that is what is there.

      Delete
  9. Yes, I have renovated an existing kitchen too. I was very happy with the end result. I found a kitchen reno less problematic than a bathroom reno. You didn't mention tiled splashbacks? Update .. Don't keep the old ones. Everything else is new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, like above, where do you stop? We quite like our tiles and they are in the bathrooms too. You may turn out to be very right, but we can do that later.

      Delete
  10. With all the new things you had to buy and having installed, I think here it would have been cheaper to buy new kitchen furniture, installers are sooo expensive ! I don't know what is in the air, but you are the 4th person in my surroundings who change kitchen !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, believe me, it would not be cheaper to buy a new kitchen and so disruptive. Our building manager asked us why so many people in our building were changing their kitchens? They are all getting old.

      Delete
  11. What an exciting time. I do love renovating especially kitchens. Sounds as if it's going to look good. I always prefer a door to a drawer, not fond of drawers in a kitchen. Had them in my late dads house..
    Overseas holiday next year then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, what about for cutlery? Don't you need a drawer for that at least? Ah, do you mean like pot and plate drawers? They look ok to me, but I've not really had experience with them.

      Delete
    2. Need a cutlery drawer, I forgot about that.
      Yes pot and plates drawers I don't care for.

      Delete
  12. Oooo! How exciting Andrew. You, or R, will love cooking in your new kitchen. I love mine, wish I'd done it years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I will love watching R use the new hotplates and oven.

      Delete
  13. I need new flooring, and to get off my arse and arrange some quotes. I worry the job is so small that no one will want to do it however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I should not worry. A small job is quick and easy money and someone will be happy to do it and charge you the normal Malvern premium, like what we pay here.

      Delete