Monday, March 14, 2016

Musical Monday

River will have a Musical Monday. River posted various clips of Jon English but here is mine that has a special meaning to me.

My life could have take a couple of paths. I fell into a very conservative one but I was very tempted by a free living and a hedonistic lifestyle. Maybe conservative types are right and music corrupts youth, although that does seem to be a thing from the past and I think they gave up after they heard the horrid rapper lyrics.

But hey, how good would it be to be in Hollywood and renting a room for $7 a night. One can dream and wonder about what might have been.

Jon English died last week, and he would not deny he was a hedonist who lived life to its full. Hollywood Seven is what I remember him for most. Curiously, the song is totally American in its references. Here is a link to the lyrics, mentioning Hollywood of course, but also Syracuse and Omaha.


14 comments:

  1. An interesting comparison between conservatives and hedonists Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, there is a bit of both in me.

      Delete
  2. Not one I knew. The chorus yes, but that doesn't count.
    As a young fing I lived a much more hedonistic life. Which is ironic, because I am certainly better able to afford it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, summed up by the phrase, youth is wasted on the young.

      Delete
  3. it's a great song and true of so many who moved to Hollywood hoping to be a star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, material for countless movies.

      Delete
  4. I'm not acquainted with his music, you and River have persuaded me to do some investigating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, it is interesting that the song really seemed to target a US market, and probably did not succeed.

      Delete
  5. Never heard of that song until now. I do like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I must have been impressionable at the very right time the song was released.

      Delete
  6. We,ve lost a great entertainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Diane, and doesn't the death of people that age make us feel very mortal.

      Delete
  7. I think most of us at some point have dreamed of the wild hedonistic lifestyle, thankfully for most if us reality sets in in the nick of time :) I'm happy to admire (sometimes) and watch from afar... Although I do skinny-dip every morning in summer, that's pretty wild right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, unless you skinny dip at Cottesloe Beach, I am not sure that it really counts.

      Delete