Monday, March 07, 2016

Musical Monday

Joining with River's Musical Monday.

Up until I was a about eight years old, my brother and myself would sleep with our grandma when we stayed at my grandparents house. Poor long suffering grandma. How much sleep did she get?

Sometimes she would sing to us in bed and this is one such song she sang. It would have been a popular song of her youth. While its title is K K K Katie, it is also known as the stammering song. Hang on, don't we say stutter, not stammer? The song brings back a flood of childhood memories for me.

Just glancing at the You Tube list of tracks, there is a mega mix version and I quote, "particularly suitable for old people's homes etc". That'll get the oldies bopping, although most nursing home residents would be born around 1930, over a decade after the song was recorded.




13 comments:

  1. I remember this well.
    We have a good friend who stutters, and if I am with him for long I pick it up. As I do strong accents. Which is embarassing.
    Interestingly, while the friend stutters badly, he is an amateur actor and NEVER stutters on stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother in law D is a stutterer, but can sing without stuttering and doesn't stutter at all when he's had enough beer.

      Delete
    2. EC, like you, I pick up accents unintentionally, but I can't say I have ever picked up a stammer. Beer is good.

      Delete
  2. love it I never heard it before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is such a sweet and innocent song.

      Delete
  3. I remember this song but can't remember why I think my aunty had old records we were allowed to play as kids.
    merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Merle, I reckon your aunty might have had the record.

      Delete
  4. Earworm alert! K k k Katie, k k k Katie.. Thanks Andrew, happy Monday to you also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am sure your ancestors enjoyed the tune on their gramophone.

      Delete
  5. My late parents lived in a care home in Melbourne that had a concert every single Sunday afternoon. Sometimes the musos played classical music, rock and roll or Irish folk songs. But mostly the residents adored music from the 1940s! Even the normally non-verbal audience members sang along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, nursing home music fascinates me. Your parents would have a vague connection to WWI music. WWII music is still strong in people's memories. Golden Days Radio is subtly adjusting to its aging demographic being younger.

      Delete
  6. Oh. My. Goodness!
    I remember this, although our version was slightly different; we had the m-m-m-moon shines over the m-mountain, but the rest is the same. My stepfather used to sing it when he was drunk. The only time he ever sang was when he was drunk, then it was "a long way to tickle Mary (Tipperary)", "knees up Mother Brown" and others of that ilk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I do not recall you had a stepfather. My grandmother used to adjust the lyrics of the Road to Gundagai. Lol at a long way to tickle Mary. What fun songs they were.

      Delete