Thursday, March 24, 2016

Mother's Roof

Neil Mitchell is a tabloid radio broadcaster in Melbourne. Tradie Brother was asked to call him by Mother over her bad insurance experience. While I have not listened to Mitchell, I expect he does a fine line in an old and poor pensioner widow cheated by an insurance company. I don't know what her problem is. While I would not recommend API Insurance as it uses overseas call centres staffed by people with strong and unintelligible accents, and it is quite dilatory in responding, it was quick off the mark by having Mother's roof covered by sheeting when rain came into her bedroom.

The company made some repairs, which I am not sure it was obliged to do. Mother told the company she could not cope with tradesmen at 7.00am as she does not rise until 9.00 and then has her jobs to do. That would be showering and feeding the cats. Mother made it difficult all along the way by being inflexible, as she always is.

Mother's bedroom ceiling is damaged by water, but Tradie Brother established it was sound and now dry. I am not sure in what manner, but the insurance company attended and fixed her roof, up to a point. I expect to get rid of her, the company offered her $2000 to fix her ceiling and repaint at her own convenience, which she accepted. A cheque is in the mail.

Nevertheless, Mother feels unsatisfied and was priming R to call Neil Mitchell. R cleverly preempted her by saying he thought she ended up with quite a good deal. To my way of thinking, given she had spent nothing on her roof for around 40 years, the insurance company could well have denied her claim as she had not maintained her roof at all. It is fair that the company pays for her damage, but I think the company has done its part and has no further responsibility.

At least with Mother receiving a cheque, we won't have to pay the excess on the insurance claim.

Later: R suggested when I call Mother tomorrow to wish her happy birthday that I ask her if she has received the cheque.  It was promised in two weeks and it has been about three weeks, and if it has not arrived, I expect she would have mentioned it. If her answer is non-committal or negative, I will ask her for a phone number to follow it up.  I guess she has the cheque and has banked it and is not telling my siblings about it.


26 comments:

  1. Lucky escape for Neil then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, don't worry. Her complaint would be quickly ignored for more serious and deserving ones.

      Delete
  2. Your mother is something else! Won't have them start at 7:00 because she rises late then has to feed the cats. That cracks me up. Does she love to make mountains of molehills or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, there are no mountains in her life, so molehills become mountains. Insurmountable mountains at that.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like she has 'raised the roof' quite enough. You and R have dealt with it quite cleverly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Cranky, love your work.

      Delete
  4. "I guess she has the cheque and has banked it and is not telling my siblings about it". You should tell the siblings straight away.

    Older age is tough enough to survive, without game playing :( The number of families hurt by financial responsibilities, unfair wills and game playing breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I confirmed today that she has not received the cheque. In spite of some offences, our family really tries hard to keep together and not have fights.

      Delete
  5. You and R handled it well. The more I hear about your mama the more I wince remembering mine. Drama queens. And game players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, she is indeed both. In my mind I rehearse what I will have scripted for her funeral and will be difficult to always be positive.

      Delete
  6. Perhaps your mum is like my dad was and instead of repairs expected a whole new roof. Dad was funny like that. Always wanting more for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, very much like that. I really reinforced the point to her that the insurance company is not there to maintain her roof, but to cover damage.

      Delete
  7. Your mother is a 'scream' Andrew :) Some older people won't budge, others with do all they can to help - it's pleasing a cheque is arriving or has arrived.
    We at this very point in time are having out tiled roof attended to, last time was 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I felt a little privileged to able to call my mother today and wish her a happy 82nd birthday. Not everyone can. But I don't have misconceptions about her.

      Delete
  8. Oldies can be bothersome at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I hope that is not a quote from either of your daughters.

      Delete
  9. Ha ha she sure knows how to push her luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Fen, but I keep in mind you don't have the pleasure of a difficult old mother.

      Delete
    2. No, I can live vicariously through you and yours!

      Delete
    3. No, I can live vicariously through you and yours!

      Delete
  10. Mothers huh? I can totally feel your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you never say anything about your mother?

      Delete
  11. It does sound as if the insurance company has done the right thing by your Mum Andrew.. Did make me smile, older people find it almost impossible to change their routines :)
    P.s. thank you so much for pointing out that I was a wee bit ahead of my blogaversary date, don't know what happened there, think I'm already starting to freak out about having to fly in a couple of weeks.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dun worry Grace. The pain of the flight will be worth it when you see your granddaughter, and perhaps roam the streets of inner eastern Sydney.

      Delete
  12. Wow...for once, I'm on the insurance company's side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep Ad Rad, although there was slowness and poor communication, they did what they were supposed to.

      Delete