Saturday, March 19, 2016

Jaded person surprised by You Tube clip

Two You Tube clips in successive days. I really know how to make original content. Let me just mention about You Tube clips I use. I probably never put up a clip after a single viewing. I tend to watch them about half a dozen times over a few days (and now with much self aggrandisement) before I decide if they are worthy of being on my blog. This clip I have watched that many times and will watch it at least once again, just to make sure it is true.

Everyone knows of steam trains and I know just an iota about steam trams, but I never knew there were such things as steam buses. I can't believe how much like a steam train it sounds. The video was filmed in Lindale-in-Cartmel, county of Cumbria. I suspect you could have walked faster, but English people do like to catch a bus, especially if they have a bus pass.

I was gripping the arms of my chair, willing her or him to get over the hill. If you are Australian or American, can you imagine being delayed in your car by such a contrivance?

2:37


18 comments:

  1. That is a first for me. Well done for finding the clip. Let's be honest it's quicker than my journey on the M6 the other week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it was a first for me too. It seems they are not so rare in England and don't seem to have a legal problem travelling the streets.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Gosia, best viewed from the outside, rather than being inside, I think.

      Delete
  3. Steam buses? I never knew.
    Love that sound, and would certainly take that bus (at least once) given the opportunity.
    Is it just me? Listening I was reciting in my head 'I think I can, I think I can...' and was very glad to be right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, imagine waiting at a bus stop and that pulled up. Yes re I think i can. Some steam trains make different sounds that 'I think I can' does not work for.

      Delete
  4. Sure seems to put out a lot of yuk into the air as its huffing and puffing along. Coal produced steam again, I surmise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think so, Strayer. The fuel has to burn very hot and little but coal will do that.

      Delete
  5. I hope that mucky stuff being spewed up into the air was just vapourised water. If it is, Sydney's air pollution from squillions of petrol buses could end tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, sorry to say although there was plenty of water vapour, there was a lot of smoke and gas from coal burning. Sydney is trying alternatively powered buses, gas and electric. Hybrid electric buses in Newcastle, England were brilliant.

      Delete
  6. Wish Dad were still here, he loved all things steam; great find Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did he Cranky? Belching steam might be very much a man thing.......but then I am a bit interested too.

      Delete
  7. Goodness, never seen a steam bus before but it made it up the hill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, if a hill is too steep for as steam train, its wheels slip. No chance of that with the bus, so it made it.

      Delete
  8. What a thing ! Never seen, makes a noise as a steam locomotive ! I think I would forget to drive ! I wonder if the passengers don't look like smoked sausages when they get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, forget to drive is probably what I would do if I came across one on the road. I expect the passengers would be nicely warmed up, at least.

      Delete
  9. Haha! I have an image of passengers being handed a mask as they climb aboard.. And yes, I would be there climbing aboard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps ear plugs too, Grace.

      Delete