Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Burrowing into the past

Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I think, well could be worse Andrew. More often though I think, god you look so effing old and tragic. Not surprisingly, the latter is happening increasingly often as I age. R and Mother were going through some old photos and R said to me afterwards, I had forgotten how cute and hot you were when you were young and why I was attracted to you. I suppose that was a compliment.

A work mate recently gave me a dvd with lots of old photos taken in my workplace and at work social events. At almost the end of the tiresome slide show dvd, there was a very young R and myself at a party. It took me nearly two weeks to remember where the photo was taken. I was thinking about street names and how I pronounced Creswick Street in Glen Iris as Cresick Street and a dyke workmate thought I said Cressy Street, a nearby street. Bingo! I remembered. The said dyke and her girlfriend had a house warming party at the flat they just moved into in Creswick Street, and that was where the photo was taken. I had no idea anyone was snapping.

Last night (Friday) we caught up with a few friends at The Dick to go through photos kept by the late Jasmine/James, Dame M's Boarder. James'  family did not want them.  Later there will be more, including some photo scans, but for now, I found a picture of myself taken by a person unknown with Dame M. The photo was taken at Jane's Chinese restaurant at St Kilda Junction, now closed down and the historic building, once a hotel, will be demolished for??? Yes, a highrise apartment building. Clearly something was happening when the photo was taken, but I have no idea what. I think there are two photos of me in my 12 year old blog, plus one of me in drag. I don't really want to see my ugly mooch on my blog but nevertheless, I like this photo of myself and the late Dame M. We didn't intend to have nearly matching outfits. Ah Gwennie, how we miss you.


22 comments:

  1. I avoid mirrors. Effing old, tragic and ugly.
    Love the photo of you though. And the very almost matching outfits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you are so self deprecating to the point where you are not believed. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Photos are fantastic, at the time they are taken but particularly decades later. As long as the names, place and date are written on the back.

    But sometimes they evoke powerful and unexpected responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I really should write on many photos. All ready memories of Dame M are being lost.

      Delete
  3. No selfies for me just my trusty Magic Mirror that makes me look fabulous and thin. I recently came across a wedding photo and shock, horror and where's the smelling salts, what on earth did I see in him to want to go within a mile of him let alone marry him. I, of course, looked divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I am sure you did look divine. I can imagine your hair. He must have had some good qualities.

      Delete
  4. Aging and Tragic? Is that REALLY how you see yourself? You need to change that attitude. Accept that you are aging, just as we all are, but see the beauty in yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, as you know, I am prone to being melodramatic at times. I actually don't mind aging. I feel more relaxed about things than I ever have.

      Delete
    2. Now I'm relieved. thank you.

      Delete
  5. Well at least we know more of what you look like. Make the best of getting older, we don't know how long the 'age' will last. Enjoy each day as if it were your last..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I wonder how old the photo is. It must be a least ten years ago. Time has subsequently been unkind but you know, I don't really care.

      Delete
  6. I feel sorry for people in show business when they start to show signs of aging and then make it so much worse by having too much plastic surgery.. I'd much rather they aged 'grace'fully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Kylie has had plastic surgery. She still looks good. Plastic surgery to knock a few years off is ok. A seventy year old woman with the taught face of thirty year old woman, with a scraggy neck, just does not work. Good pun on your name. I think you have good genes.

      Delete
    2. I do have good genes Andrew, no one believes me when I tell them I'm eighty five :) :)

      Delete
  7. Like you, I'm feeling more relaxed as I'm getting older. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, pleased to hear that. I think many people are.

      Delete
  8. i think our perception of ourselves on the inside does not match what others see as we age on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, we are young and beautiful on the inside?

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Third or fourth, James.

      Delete
  10. One of my former work colleagues pilfered an album of photos from our employer of us and other colleagues in the 1960s.

    I am probably 25 kilos lighter and I have hair! Almost unrecognisable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, it is funny to look back and remember what we were......and how we are now not.

      Delete