Sunday, February 14, 2016

Valentine Bah Humbug

Damned American import, it is. That's Valentine's Day. I have been forced to participate in the event and I swap cards with R. Please, I show my love every day as I push buttons to do our washing. I am just brilliant at using a washing machine. No, don't mock me. It is rare that I do anything less than a full load. I manage the water temperature as I am not happy with what the machine does. I buy huge quantities of detergent and fabric softener at cheap prices. Tea towels don't go with socks and jocks. Light colours don't go with dark. Towels are washed on their own. Food stains are dealt with by soaking. Auntie Andrew is a really good washer woman.

Now I have lost my train of thought. Oh yes, Valentine's Day. Bah humbug. That was until I saw a nice looking blond lad of about 18 years old wearing standard pink shorts, a dressy shirt with a narrow loose tie, with who I guess was his attractive girlfriend. He was carrying a large wicker picnic basket and they were heading for the Botanic Gardens, no doubt for a large repast from the basket in nice surroundings.

Instead of thinking, idiots, it will all go bad before you can turn around, I felt all warm and gooey. May their romantic innocence and naivety go on forever.


19 comments:

  1. Haha! I love that you say you've been 'forced' to buy R a card.. who by exactly? Are you or are you not past 'peer pressure' age :) Why don't you just admit you loooove picking that card each year :) Meanwhile P and I who have been happily together for so many years it's scary, both forgot the occasion :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is peer pressure of an historical nature. Now it is habit, so deeply ingrained that hell would explode if I didn't. I am sure you show each other your love every day.

      Delete
  2. Ah, that's a lovely image to end on. But otherwise, yes, I agree with you. Valentines Day is a bit embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I really think it should be left for the younguns.

      Delete
  3. I wish you were my neighbor. I'd pay you to keep the laundry up. I say bah humbug too, to Valentine's day and love in general but only because I've got no love. I guess there's even a name put to it now---SAD (Single Alone Day) or something. Described on one site as the day you sit alone for dinner and eat self gifted chocolates. That makes it sound even worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, SAD sounds like my kind of day. Well, the idea of being alone appeals at times.

      Delete
  4. This Valentine circus makes me crazy too. Years ago it didn't exist and since a few years it's just for young couples in love. Now I even get a Valentine card from my food shop ! To my knowledge I don't have a lover there !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, perhaps someone in the shop lusts after you.

      Delete
  5. The gift of the washing is a huge one. And much more demonstrative of love than an occasional card. Or chocolates to share.
    Our family never celebrated Mother's Day or Father's Day when I was growing up because we were told 'a splash on one day doesn't make up for a year of neglect'. We do exchange cards at Valentine's (mostly) but the love is in year long actions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure about the chocolates EC?

      Mother would never miss Mother's Day. It is a chance for her to get some cash from we kiddies.

      Really, exchanging cards is a bit silly for people our age. It is nice thing for young people to do to declare their love before they have built a history of love.

      Delete
  6. wow what a great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gosia. How is the mountain air?

      Delete
  7. I don't participate in Valentine's Day, it seems a bit senseless buying a card and posting it to myself (*~*).
    You're very particular about the washing. I chuck everything in that isn't white, after hand soaping/scrubbing anything that might not wash out, like cooking oil splatters.
    Then I do a separate white wash with hotter water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, nothing wrong with a bit of self loving. The trouble with being fussy about washing is that clothes last a very long time before looking shabby, well past their fashion date.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. So you didn't receive a bunch of roses then Fen?

      Delete
  9. The Valentine card was the last clue in a long line of cards that the ex gave to me, all signed by the cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhat cryptic, Jah Teh. They did probably come with love if the cats signed them.

      Delete