Thursday, February 04, 2016

Vale Richard James

Back in the days when we went out at night, at The Greyhound (hotel) we would at times see the Baroness of Balaclava. He was an active person in the gay community and did many good works.



I chatted to him once at the Greyhound Hotel, another time at a restaurant and we also ran into him at the gay resort Turtle Cove, north of Cairns. Hmm, where's Carol btw? 

He was far from a young man when we kind of knew him and probably started drag a little be too late in life, nevertheless, he was always friendly and pleasant.

This tribute was in our local council newsletter.

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely man; someone I would have enjoyed knowing and would probably have learned a lot from. (Btw, yes, I knew what a merkin was.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, why am I not surprised that you know what a merkin is.

      Delete
  2. Another interesting and colorful person, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, found his gay gene late in life, so had a wife and children.

      Delete
  3. "Back in the day when..." you're starting to sound like an old person Andrew. Next it will be "Back in my day.." or, "when I was a lad/youngster/little tacker" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel old at times River, nay, often. It would be rare that we would be out after 9pm these days.

      Delete
  4. A colourful, creative and generous life is a fine tribute. It sounds as if he would have like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am sure he would have liked the description.

      Delete
  5. Seems as if he was a lovely older man.
    Like his white tie against the dark shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, while we never saw him in the street, he lived not far from us in Balaclava, he in public housing.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good bloke I mean Baroness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I admire people who give to the community. R does. I don't.

      Delete