Saturday, February 06, 2016

Saturday Sidesplitters, not

There was a joke in late 70s or maybe early early 80s where a gay man stated that his mother made him a homesexual. The riposte was, if I give her the wool will she make me one too? Very droll.

I read something recently that amused me. I am not sure of the outcome but the plan was brilliant.

Sydney Water Board employees were digging up the road outside Sydney University. Some students rang the police and told them a group of students disguised at Water Board workers, were digging up the road and disrupting traffic.

The students then rang Sydney Water Board and told the company that a group of students disguised as police would soon arrive to disrupt their work.

I guess they then just sat back and watched the fun unfold. Sounds rather like an urban myth to me and of course it could have happened anywhere in the world.

I did once watch an Italian movie where people dressed as road workers dug a huge hole in the middle of a street, causing quite some disruption. They were not proper workers and I forget their motives, but the movie seemed to indicate that Italian bureaucracy was quite unable to deal with the matter, as responsibility was passed from one department to another.

Speaking of urban myths, Twitter was awash in Melbourne with a seagull story. A man was sitting on the Frankston Station train platform eating fish and chips. Just as a train's doors were closing, the man threw a handful of chips into the train carriage and of course the seagulls dived on them, the train doors closed and much to consternation of passengers in the train, seagulls flapped, crapped and generally panicked in the train carriage until the next station.

I do like a good urban myth. There are many of them.





22 comments:

  1. I thought the urban myth was that council workers with shovels in the street are actually digging any holes at all but rather just standing about enjoying a smoko.

    Only joking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been said, Victor.

      Delete
  2. I am fond of urban myths myself. They are often things I wish had happened - even if they didn't.
    Our mothers are powerful people aren't they? I can remember Ann Deveson saying she was often told that she made her son develop schizophrenia...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, he did develop it, didn't he?

      Delete
    2. He did. And died on the streets.

      Delete
    3. There may have been a tv programme about him. I can recall something.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a good urban myth to bring a smile to the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many Marie. Some must be true, but which ones.

      Delete
  4. Love your urban myth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm...am tempted to give the seagull thing a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, timing would be everything.

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard any urban myths for a long time. I probably wouldn't recognise one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well River, you have just read three, so you are up to date now.

      Delete
  7. Seems like all were having fun or being really naughty,,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of both I think, Margaret.

      Delete
  8. Just what the world needs more of, bratty students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, I would be happy with more protesting students, as they used to do.

      Delete
  9. I can see the gull escapade perhaps happening as they have a beak for food, especially on the fly. Of many single adult men I've met who were schizophrenic, after I met their mothers, most still totally controlling their adult sons, I figured, "Well there's his problem."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, about the schizophrenic men, is it cause or effect?

      Delete
  10. Urban myths always good, better if true.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, there is some truth in most things.

      Delete