Friday, February 26, 2016

Only yourself to blame

We've spent quite some time on a possible holiday later in the year, including us visiting the travel agent and provisionally booking a Mediterranean Cruise. Today we cancelled. Nothing was working about the holiday and our excitement levels were zero. That is not how it should be when you are spending heaps of money.

The blog has been neglected and there may be some repercussions for a time. But here we go, I have something for today.

Breaking laws on our roads make me very cross, unless it is me doing it. I have never been booked for any road offence in my life and my last parking ticket was in 1977. Work is trying to lumber a speeding fine in a work car on me. As if I would ruin my reputation in a crappy work car. I am happy because if work can't identify who was driving the car, and it certainly wasn't me, then they have to pay a huge fine.

There is one offence I think is beyond the pale, that is an able bodied person parking in a disabled space, maybe handicapped parking space in other places.

While I do believe there are a number of people who have a disabled pass to display on their car who are not entitled to it, that is another matter. It is so tempting to take the law into your own hands when the law does not work. Here a couple of clips of where a group of folk really did take the law into their own hands in two clips.

This clip is a bit long. There are shorter versions on the the net but I think the full clip is appropriate. I thoroughly approve of this action in Brazil, as did the crowd who waited in anticipation to see the bunfight when the offender to return to his car.



I am not sure I really approve of the spray painting offenders' cars, but the cost for removal might be about the same as a fine. I rather like the offending shopping laden rich women returning to their cars to find a surprise, again in Brazil.



Is the sound very clear on this? I think not. It is a while since I saw this clip but from memory it is in California and towards the end, a woman ended up with two fines of around $700 each. A fine for parking in a disabled place to which she was not allowed and something like impersonating a disabled person to park in a disabled space. $1400 is a good fine deterrent to parking in a disabled space. Schadenfreude is a good feeling.


24 comments:

  1. Ive seen and enjoyed the first video before, great point well made

    Now what do u mean repercussions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, a lack of anything vaguely prepared for the next few days.

      Delete
  2. SAndrew I believe you will find interesting holiday destination shortly. The vidoes are funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, I am sure we will. It is so much a first world problem.

      Delete
  3. And the first 'gentleman' adds littering to his list of sins.
    My youngest brother waits beside cars parked in the handicapped zones without a sticker and says LOUDLY when they get back 'I see your handicap is intellectual'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes I was rather hoping he would get booked for littering. That's very clever of your brother. I hope he chooses his mark carefully though.

      Delete
  4. What happened to your Mediterranean Cruise?? Spouse and I went on a Windstar ship two years ago, from Rome via Elba, Corsica, Sardinia, Mallorca etc, and ended in Barcelona. The cabins were WAY too small, but the organised tours in the Western Mediterranean towns and islands were wonderful.

    Much better talking about cruising than talking about nasty drivers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, nothing was working out. Nothing co-ordinating, flights not right, internal travel not working out and the cost just going up and up. Mysterious pricing and disappearing deals too. Excitement level, zero, so back to the drawing board.

      Delete
  5. That's a hefty fine all right! Definitely a deterrent I'd say. But only for people who have received one. Those who haven't yet been caught will probably continue until they're fined.
    That first video was hilarious, even the cop was filming the driver, and how could he drive away with his windows and mirrors still mostly covered?! A foolish man, that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think the cop should have been more pro-active but perhaps he thought the bloke's total humiliation was an adequate punishment.

      Delete
  6. The first video, the set up, the guy talking is flanked by two women, both with long hair, one on left has her long red hair pulled to the left side with it hanging in front, the girl on the right, has it hanging in front on the right side. Both posed with hands on hips, chests stuck out, like his props. That's what hit me most about that video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yes, they are some kind of prankster group.

      Delete
  7. Hadn't seen these videos until now.
    They all deserve what they got as nothing was more frustrating than getting my disabled late dad dressed, into the car, drive to a disabled park to find it taken by some person without a disabled sign.

    Sorry to hear about your cruise. I presume the other trip is still a goer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes, Perth is still happening. It is odd that most people take a very dim view of someone parking in a disabled space who is not entitled, yet maybe 20% quite happily do it without a thought.

      Delete
  8. Not a good idea to spray paint a car, at least with the system we have here for displaying the relevant authority. What if the driver had merely forgotten to display the disabled pass but was otherwise entitled to use it? In that case the vigilante punishment would be way out of proportion to the crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, always a danger with any vigilante action but I doubt this quite well known Brazil crew would make that mistake. I remember a very bad case in England where someone was targeted as a pedo because he had the same name.

      Delete
  9. I always get very angry when I see somebody in perfect health using a parking space for handicapped. And I don't hesitate to get out of my car and tell them my opinion ! I wrote once about that, I saw a youngster in a car parking on a handicapped parking space and told him what I thought. The guy smiled and pointed at his wheelchair laying in the back ! But he told me that he was happy that people like me exists !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, wasn't your incident was just recently. I have done similar, not recognising that someone was blind.

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear about your cruise.

    I am currently involved in planning an overseas trip later this year with five, count em, five friends. I've never travelled with such numbers before and I have to admit reaching agreement between the various preferences is disheartening. Even before we depart I have decided I will never allow myself to plan travel in such numbers again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't get out of it Victor? Too late, I guess. I hope it is still a good holiday for you.

      Delete
  11. ooh one must be so careful not to have a go at someone who doesn't look disabled. (who has a valid disabled pass). There are so many invisible illnesses that can make you eligible for a pass, and who am I to judge. I have a friend who has one as she suffers from rheumatoid arthritis. She has been shouted at more than once because people thought she was taking the piss.

    I'm all for shaming those who don't have disabled passes and are clearly being arses, but that grey area of having a pass and not seeming like you have a disability, not touching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, Mother has a disabled pass for a car. We use it when we take her out, to the shops or whatever, but sometimes I move the car without Mother actually in the car, and I am conscious of people looking at me when I get out of the car without an obvious disability when I park in a disabled space.

      Delete
  12. Yes absolutely Andrew, hate it when people park in these bays. Before mum passed she had an ACROD sticker which I never used when I took her shopping, I'd drop her, not using the parking spot, go and park and come back and meet her. I know it sounds a bit lame but the only two destinations I would tempt fate by getting on a plane :) are Sydney, because I have to and Paris because j'adore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is quite legal to do as I do as long as I am transporting the disabled person, but what you used to do is very high minded. We in Victoria seem to have rather a lot of disabled spaces. Too many, some would say.

      Delete