Monday, February 29, 2016

Musical Monday

What will River's Musical Monday bring forth? 

For a few years after R and myself got together, Mother still had funds enough to rent a holiday house for a couple of weeks on Phillip Island each summer. For quite a number of years it was the house of Mother's best friend who sadly yet selfishly died in her forties and that was the end of cheap Phillip Island holidays. Mother funded the next few at other places on the island but then her money dried up.  The friend's house was in Rose Avenue in Cowes. The house was at the end of the street with I think a golf course on one side. It was a ten minute walk from the beach so we were not lulled to sleep by lapping water but by the sound of koalas courting and making love in the golf course. You may think of koala love making as a beautiful thing, but let me tell you, the pig like noise was horrendous.

I quite vividly recall one summer where every morning in pre R times we would either walk to the beach or drive to the Cowes shops. The afternoon was always spent on the beach. Did I have a small cassette player of some type? I can't remember but The Eagles had just released the album Hotel California. I loved the title track and the whole album was played many times on the beach in about 1976/77.

I was reminded of The Eagles when I recently heard one of the members, Glenn Frey, died. Photo from Billboard.



10 comments:

  1. I don't think that listening to any species making love is a pleasure. Definitely a participant rather than an observer/listeners sport.
    Definitely a trip down memory lane today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No EC, least of all humans.

      Delete
  2. Never hear koalas making love - you describe it well, the noise.
    I do love that song, it's just one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it was great at the time. Historically, it stands well. I just don't want to hear it anymore.

      Delete
  3. I used to love Hotel California, but now it's one of those songs that go on too long and I tune out when I hear it (far too often) on local radio.
    I think I would prefer falling asleep to waves on the shore rather than Koalas getting amorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I pretty well agree with you about the song. Did it make sense at all? No.

      Delete
  4. I knew the song but didn't know the group until the terrorist attack in Paris where they sang in the Bataklan. Last week they were in Brussels and were heartly welcomed. They even went outside to pose with the police and soldiers who were there for their protection and they talked with the people, to show that they are not afraid of terrorists, despite this awful event !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that is terrific and I admire them for doing that.

      Delete
  5. Hotel California is still one of my fav songs Andrew, it has one of the best lines ever.. 'you can check out anytime but you can never leave'.. c'est la vie oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it is a good line, for sure.

      Delete