Sunday, February 07, 2016

Australia Day Part 2 or Sunday Selections

This will do for Sunday Selections. Quite a few of us participate and link back to River.

Just to add a little more distress to the Barking Owl and the dingoes seen in Part 1, the Australian Air Force flew The Roulettes overhead. They normally make one or two passes but today there were many and people stopped looking up after a while.





A Ford Fairlane.


Here they go again.


A Ford Customline, with a V8 engine. A straight eight is better than a V8 and I seem to recall Buick made a straight eight.



Starting to annoy, like mosquitoes.


Buick. You will perhaps not find a smoother and quieter ride than in this car. Now cars have tight suspension for good handling. No such nonsense back then when floating along as if on a cloud was the primary consideration, never mind how the cars wallowed around corners.


Funny looking thing. Ok, another Buick.


An old ambulance from the regional area of Gippsland in Victoria. I did not notice at the time, but I can tell by the dashboard it is a mid sixties Humber.


A Minervar. Is it a Mr or Mrs? Made in Belgium it seems, a forerunner of today's successful Belgian car manufacturers. (:-P Guess who that is for Gattina)


Bugger off.


Studebaker Lark, I believe.


Yet another Buick.


Which way was that cannon that fired the 21 gun salute left pointing? Could it take them out?


We just happened across this wonderful group of women, performing to music. Ever so graceful and the smallish group that had gathered gave them hearty applause. Joe has a a good photo here.





Enough. That is taxpayer dollars paying for your aviation gas.


Travelling at a rather more sedate pace than a jet is what I call a Punt Road bus.


The driver's cabin looks cosy.


Unbelievably, these ran until 1980. It is a 1952 AEC Regal Mark III and oddly it has been cropped, that is shortened. Was there a public demand for shorter buses?


Driver luxury lounge. Lots of lovely warmth in the winter next to the driver from the engine. Not so good in the summer. I remember being stuck behind them as they crawled up the Punt Road hill, belching out clouds of black smoke. Later I learnt that that there was always a conductor on board these buses. A recent comment by a mechanic who maintained them on an old post where I mentioned them was interesting.


A Three Ton Mechanical Horse by Scammel. It looks like what I imagine electric milk floats used to in England. Three tons and only three wheels too.


Army departing now to show those terrorists a thing or two.


We got guns.


Can anyone identify this European looking national dress?



Gotham City, House of Sin. Should I check? As I guessed, a brothel. What would be in the closed trailer? The mind boggles.


It was getting quite hot, so we headed for home.

21 comments:

  1. Wow waht a great collection of vintage cars. I would like to have only one. I think the yellow one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Gosia. You would probably own the only Studebaker in Poland.

      Delete
  2. Well that gave me a good laugh at the end of a Saturday evening. Not the cars you understand but the Aussie flyover. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, like an annoying gnat you want to swipe at.

      Delete
  3. The over flies over done crack me up. The other night, out trapping, over goes one helicopter, then another, or was it the same one back again, and again, and again, and again. Enough already! I should have mooned the damn thing. I bought, finally, tired of confinement to one small town, a Ford Fairmont wagon for a little over $100. It ran but not much else. However, straight 6 engine, widely coveted, powerful and easy to work on. I sold it for way more than I bought it, in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, yes I remember you saying that. No no, no mooning, if you please. Our current cars when you raise the bonnet are just so crowded in the engine bay. I had forgotten how spacious the old engine bays were, especially a straight six.

      Delete
  4. I once lived near Mascot Airport they can get annoying those pesky planes, but the cars and dancing looked good at least much quieter.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, the dancing was just quite lovely and I am so pleased we saw it.

      Delete
  5. Loved the parasol dancers.
    Snickering at your solution to the flyover after flyover after flyover. Good target practise - and good evasive action practise too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, we would do them a favour to target the jets and they would get in some evasion practice. Good lateral thinking.

      Delete
  6. The old cars are looking slick and span and I guess their owners are proud.
    Like t see the formations of the planes but it is rather reperticious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes the planes were overkill. A couple of flyovers was impressive.

      Delete
  7. It looks like a very interesting, if slightly annoying, day... so many familiar car names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, I reckon you may have ridden in a car or two like that.

      Delete
  8. The National Dress costumes could be Swiss; German; Austrian; Hungarian; maybe even Dutch. Were they part of the parade? If so, you can contact whichever media was there to cover it and find out. I remember my sister and I wearing similar costumes for Sundays when we were small.
    We'll have those Roulettes here soon enough for the Clipsal 500 races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I thought of all those countries but I just thought a reader might know. Will you be having Opera in the Park at the same time as the Clipsal 500 this year?

      Delete
    2. I don't think so, it didn't go over well last time, many, many people complained at the noise interference.
      I don't attend either event, so I don't care.

      Delete
  9. A very enjoyable read Andrew. The photos of the planes with their "tails" streaming behind are good. Love the snaps of the ladies and their parasols. That old green and yellow bus? Just like the old cream ones with the red stripe of long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you BFG. I was just thinking about you a few days ago after reading a post at Melbourne Snaps and wondered why you no longer post.

      Delete
  10. aaw, I love the roulettes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, a little roulette goes a long way.

      Delete