Thursday, February 18, 2016

A firm plan

Well, dreams of Portugal are off the menu. R's sister's husband is not terribly well and does not want to travel. We are looking at a Mediterranean Sea cruise later in the year. I can't believe how cheap they are, even on a Cunard ship.

My holidays are flexible and I can match them to what we want to do, but the uncertainty was preventing us from doing anything. I sorted my holidays out yesterday and while we have discussed so many different places to go, we have decided on a big holiday later in the year and a brief local holiday in April. The more we looked at Perth, the capital of the Australian state West Australia, the more we liked the look of it. We had already considered catching the Indian (ocean) Pacific (ocean) train but everything we read put us off. After Canada, I thought two days on a train is long enough. This is not a firm view and could well be revised if we travelled on the Orient Express.

So, in Perth we have booked an apartment in Mount Street for eight nights (oh, Mount sounds like a steep hill. We are from Melbourne and we don't do hills) and with airfare, about $1000 each.

That gives us six full days. It is a long day, but we will take a coach tour to Margaret River. We will river/sea cruise to Rottnest Island for a day trip. We will travel by train to the port city of  Fremantle at least once, maybe twice. It is only thirty minutes away from Perth. The rest of the time will spent seeing things around Perth. Cottesloe Beach with its Indiana are must sees and Hillarys Boat Harbour is high on the agenda. We will be very close to King's Park and the new Elizabeth Quay is not too far away.  We are really quite excited about our mini holiday. R has been to Perth before, but I have not. I guess Grace with her Perth Daily Photo was the clincher for me. I have seen so many beautiful and interesting things via her photo blog.

While I knew about the relatively new train to Mandurah, I did not know that it was underground in Perth city. I like to visit a public transport museum when we holiday, and I believe the one at Whiteman Park is quite good, but when? Our days are already filled. It is never a bad thing to leave yourself wanting when you holiday. You can dream of returning, even if you never do.

22 comments:

  1. That will be good going to Perth, a long way even if you fly.
    It's a lovely city, and Margaret River is good as well. It's been several years since we went that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, compared to going to the northern hemisphere, flying to Perth is easy. How could Margaret River ever be anything but good with such a name.

      Delete
  2. All this reminds me that our Mediterranean Sea cruise is still pending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haddock, that is what we plan to do later, but just a very short one.

      Delete
  3. Oh yay! I just hope you're not coming around the week beginning the 5th April until the following week because we're going to celebrate my granddaughters 2nd birthday in Sydney :) The weather will be perfect then Andrew, no more heat waves, lovely Autumn temps. Bit exciting oui :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, about the 19th I think. Two years old already!

      Delete
    2. I know, where does the time go. Skyped today, love it that as soon as she sees me she says 'Gigi, books' and then we spend the next hour with me reading her stories :) we will be well back by the time you guys come over, yay!

      Delete
  4. What a glorious thought, to travel, see new places. Can't wait for you to go, so I can what you see through your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it will be an interesting experience. The distance between Perth and home is like the distance from your east coast to west, maybe further.

      Delete
    2. Yes, a long way, and probably as different as our west is to our east here.

      Delete
  5. Andrew I believe we will have great holidays at yoour place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should hope so, Gosia.

      Delete
  6. How lovely. I went to Perth a couple of times with work and really liked it. And, since my trips straddled weekends I got to see a bit.
    I am looking forward to travelling back with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, although it will only be a week, we too have straddled a weekend. Got to do a market or two.

      Delete
  7. Never been there but have two nieces who live there and they love the place, take lots of photos.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, perhaps my photos will encourage you to visit your nieces.

      Delete
  8. Wave in my general direction as you fly over Adelaide. You'll be seeing many of the places I did when visiting there. My brother and his wife live in Fremantle. I loved Rottnest Island and Hillary's Boat Harbor which is quite close to the aquarium if I remember right. AQWA. Mandurah was lovely too, we picnicked and watched people feed the pelicans that were hanging around waiting for food. Take lots of photos please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall do River. Yes, I remember your visit to see your brother. While I did not plan to visit Mandurah, it sounds nice, so maybe we will fit it in.

      Delete
  9. I still haven't been to Perth and must remedy that soon with my eighth decade within sight.

    I shall use your list of activities as a starting point for I might do/see there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, we are really looking forward to it. What we will see is very much stock standard tourist plans, but Elizabeth Quay is very new.

      Delete
  10. oh I do like Perth, it will be a lovely trip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Fen, if you like it must be nice.

      Delete