Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday Selections

Joining in with River and others with our Sunday Selections, this Sunday with just random photos of mine.

A rather expensive toy for children but quite amazing. I suppose you are really supposed to make it yourself. Read nothing into me hanging around the department store toy area. I found a Christmas present for Tradie Brother there.



Sometimes the display of artworks within the enclosed cases in Campbell Arcade (Degraves Street Subway) can be quite weird but I really like these.



This was my grandmother's PMWU cook book, that is Presbyterian Women's Missionary Union. It rarely sees the light of day, with Household Management now using his tablet propped up on the bench if a new recipe is made or the details of an old one a little hazy in his memory. We don't have Chow Mein very often, so a reminder was needed and out came the old recipe book. R's Chow Mein tastes exactly the same as my grandmother's and my mother's. It was the most exotic thing Mother ever cooked. Was Chop Suey the same thing?


I can't remember if I have shown you these moon photos before. I think not. I was quite pleased with them.



Can't have Elephant's Child  hogging all the pretty sky limelight. This was a nice sunset.


Stir Frydays may well be an evening food event at Victoria Market.


We bought this fruit bowl in Surfers Paradise earlier this year. It is damn heavy and the shop lass wrapped it really well for suitcase travel.


Myer was promoting Nutella, with your own name on the personalised label. R received for Christmas from Little Jo a decent sized jar of jelly beans, also personalised with his name.


We were waiting for a friend at Fed Square and I pondered how these bollards were being scraped. I did not wonder for long. A electric delivery cart came along and it just fitted between them. Then another appeared, it too just clearing the sides. Obviously that was on a good day. It's clear there is a high clearance failure rate.
 

A new person has moved into the third bedroom of the apartment next door. Our balcony is about one metre away from his window. He has rearranged the room with the bed under the window. I suppose he is an overseas Asian student as they always have been since the last family left.  A few days later, he swapped, with his head under the window. Surely this is very bad sheng fui.


This is a closer photo of the Christmas tree surround. I am not really a frilly person but I can see quite some work went into by one of R's sisters.


I am probably among thousands, if not tens of thousands who has pointed their lens skyward to take a photo of the Melbourne Central shot tower and the dome. A shot tower was where molten metal was dropped down its height to make bullets.


At times a picture does not tell a thousand words, so words are needed. I haven't got time to find out what actually but water runs down inside the plactic and then flows across the almost horizontal clear panels below. Cooling of some kind I suppose. It is in Little Collins Street and part of the ecologically sustainable Council House 2.



25 comments:

  1. LOVE your fruit bowl. And that sky.
    I am impressed at the photo looking up into the shot tower too. I find that I get really giddy when I take those shots.
    And the moon shots are wonderful. I have never taken a decent one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I may too have become giddy if I took any time lining up the shot. Given I didn't capture all of the dome, it was a quick snap.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the moon shot is splendid. But I think I see someone is waving, in fact, from up there, at you, frantically maybe, like "heeellllppp meee". I could be wrong. Spotting the close clearance street cone scraping marks is observant of you. Why would they have them places so closely when delivery trucks must pass, I wonder. But I won't worry over it long. I've never heard that bullets are made that way, needing a shot drop tower, to achieve their proper aerodynamic shape is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, the moon has disappeared now and so no plaintive cries are heard and we can ignore something bad happening in the skies. I think that is correct about the bullets. They form a pointy shape as they fall and cool.

      Delete
  3. Andrew my favourite photos are the charming moon and Lego

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am really pleased about the moon. It was a while ago and I had forgotten the photo.

      Delete
  4. So many things to comment on! Personalised jelly beans? Whatever next. Chop suey and chow mein - didn't one have crispy noodles on top? Impressive moon shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, coming next is a jelly bean with your name engraved in it. I am not sure about chop suey. I could have checked, I suppose. But wait, River has an answer below.

      Delete
  5. Like Fun60 says, Chow Mein and Chop Suey are not the same, the Chop Suey has soft noodles and more sauce, Chow Mein has crispy fried noodles.
    Love the moon photos. Lego makes some interesting displays, but a person would need a whole room or several to be able to replicate them.
    Those tubes where the water runs down and then across other panels might be some kind of recycling system for the water run off from air conditioning systems. Mine just drips out and feeds the tiny section of lawn that is right in front of it, but a large ecologically sustainable building like that one is bound to be into recycling wherever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River. I would not be so keen on chop suey then, me not being very fond of soft noodles. Could well be as you say about the air con run off. I will go back when I am nearby and have another look.

      Delete
  6. Very cool photo of the Melbourne Central shot tower and the dome. But imagine dropping molten metal down a tower to make bullets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, worse being the one at the bottom to catch the bullets.

      Delete
  7. Great fruit bowl.And lego always had a soft spot for lego wonderful toy kept my two amused for hours.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, Lego was the 'screen' of its time, keeping the children amused.

      Delete
  8. You have done well with your photos, a lovely selection. Lego, what an invention way back when.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I am sure your grandchildren will be playing with it, if not yet.

      Delete
  9. That is a *lot* of Lego people.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, were you once a Lego lass?

      Delete
  10. Excellent series of Sunday shots Andrew, I wouldn't mind a jar of Nutella with my name on it, even though en masse it does result in a migraine every time :) Super moon shot. Gosh a lot of work went into your tree surround, nice wee tartan touches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I think the key phrase is 'en masse'. Do you get to work on the jar with a teaspoon?

      Delete
    2. Absolutely, until every last scrape is gone :)

      Delete
  11. I wouldn't mind if you printed an old recipe from that old book now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May do so River. There are some fine basic meal within the book.

      Delete
  12. Image number 13 and 15 are my favourites.
    Number 13 made me SMILE:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13 being the young man's foot, Gunn? Works for me.

      Delete