Sunday, January 24, 2016

Sunday Selections Warhol & Weiwei

Along with River and others, here is a Sunday Selection featuring some of the works of Andy Warhol and Ai Weiwei. This is not a timely post. We visited this exhibition a few weeks ago and I haven't had time to muck about with photos since.

This is the exhibition we visited and I just loved it. I have seen people queued outside the gallery for the Friday night event, but when we visited mid morning, it wasn't too busy.


We began with brunch outside Arts Centre building. It was a warm morning but not too hot in the shade of trees. This inflatable pig is advertising for a kids show or something like that.


The Arts Centre spire piercing the sky. In its original design it was supposed to be clad in copper but after the massive cost overruns  during the construction of the Arts Centre, no money was made available and a cheaper open weave spire was made. The original open weave spire was considerably shorter than this one installed in the 1990s. While I don't think much of it and it is hardly the Sydney Harbour Bridge, it is a Melbourne landmark and is often to be seen on postcards.


It was very pleasant as we munched and sipped away opposite the Queen Victoria Gardens.


Through the water wall, is this supposed to be a Christmas tree?


Whatever, I like it.


Here it is without the water wall.


We did not have to queue for tickets for long. We had only a short time to admire the Leonard French stained glass ceiling. I am usually worried when I pay to see a gallery exhibition but I had not need for concern at all. I loved the exhibition, like an excited child in a lolly shop.


But is it art? Of course it is, if it stops people in their tracks, they step forward, they step back, they stare, the sit and look, they are drawn to spinning one of the wheels, and just wonder what it is all about.






I should think many of us are familiar with the works of Warhol, perhaps to the point of them being a little ho-hum now. Nevertheless, it was good to see some up close, as we have in the past at the Jewish Museum of Australia in St Kilda. Warhol is a fascinating character.





Was this related to either artist? The helium balloons were a great touch, two areas of them. The kids loved them, as did a certain partner of mine who could not help himself and had to tap a few around.




Your guess about whose foot this would fit this shoe is as good as mine.



Whose work is what is a bit of a blur to me, but this very impressive piece made of tiny porcelain flowers is certainly Ai Weiwei's. While I became familiar with him as an activist after he was placed under house arrest for protests against the Chinese government, I did not know him as an artist at all.




This work called, 'Sprinkler Isolating Valve' interested me.


The 'merch'. And boy was there a lot of merchandise for sale.


While I did not just buy the box of postcards of the works of Warhol and Weiwei just for this photo to share with my Sydney friends, it may have been a deciding factor.


Across the road to the tram home, snapping the floral clock as we went. The clock was a gift to Melbourne from the watchmakers of Zurich. We've never had a gift from the Gnomes of Zurich.


Ah yes, I have not mentioned the Ai Weiwei Lego block controversy. You can read a brief rundown here.

But wait. After I finished writing this and hit publish, our friend Pants published her thoughts on the exhibition. Pants is like a proper writer and knows about subjective conjunctives, and she knows about artistic stuffs. Her brilliance as paparazzi is very open to question, having failed to capture an image of Weiwei when he walked past her.  Another friend, Victor, has also written about the exhibition.

Look, if you don't have an artistic bone in your body, you will still enjoy the exhibition.

22 comments:

  1. I am so jealous right now .. I would have loved to have seen both those exhibitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, yes pleased we made the effort.

      Delete
  2. Andrew I would like to see Andy Warhola exhibition,too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I don't know if there was ever much interest in him in Europe.

      Delete
  3. Seeing this exhibition was a highlight of my Christmas visit to Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmmm, I'll think about that one Victor.

      Delete
  4. Is it coming to Sydney, often things don't, they all go to Brisbane.
    I think the water christmas tree is just the thing.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I don't know. I guess not if Victor came from Sydney to see it. The tree has now gone. I hope it appears next Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Wondering how long this will be open - saw the bikes on the tv news a while back and thought about a trip to town but haven't thought about it since.
    Were these 'sneaky snaps' Andrew or was photography allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I think it runs until mid April, so plenty of time. Photography was allowed, but no flash.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post.

    Even if people don't particularly like Andy Warhol, the National Gallery is still such a fun place to visit. And I include the floral clock over the road, the water wall in front, Leonard French's stained glass ceiling and several great eateries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, as tram destinations now show, Arts Precinct, it is good to have so many facilities together and close to the Fed Square gallery too.

      Delete
  7. I remember the floral clock, so the water wall you showed is the one I remember from years ago.
    That shoe "sculpture" might fit the Ugly Stepsister who cut off her heels to fit into the glass slipper. Of course she would have to stand still forever in the first position ballet pose.
    Did the inflatable pig have a "Vote for Me" sign on it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, ah yes, I remember you talking about the water wall when I showed a very different wall in the city. This one was remodelled and improved a good while ago now. There are enough pigs in Parliament already. No more needed.

      Delete
  8. The waterfalls, they are amazing Andrew.
    The clock looks good what I can see of it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I will see if I can some closer photos of the clock. It is replanted twice a year and I suspect a replanting might happen in March or April.

      Delete
  9. great post thank you Highriser. our pal Ms Pants did actually get her paparazzi moment of Al Wayway but thinks it is lost in her camera. Anyone know what the procedure is to transfer a video out of camera into Computer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann. I should think you just plug your camera into the computer and find the video file but I did once examine the Pants Mobile and it may not be able to be plugged in so easily.

      Delete
  10. Two excellent reviews by Victor and Pants. The Ai Weiwei sculpture is beyond fabulous, he is an amazing artist I really hope his exhibition comes to Perth. The Andy Warhol exhibition was here a while back, personally I think he's a little overrated! Is the Waterwall made up of crystals? Enjoyed River's possible explanation of the shoe sculpture :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Warhol was amazing in his time, but now? I too liked Weiwei's work. The water wall is just water cascading down the external side of the glass. Children love putting their hands on it and getting wet.

      Delete
  11. We have no such opportunities to see art here in this town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, but I bet Portland has lots and lots of artistic endeavours and galleries. Not so easy for you to visit, I know.

      Delete