Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Jetset, Pura, Isis, Shape

There is history in my blog and at times I put in a word into the search window of my blog to find out about something I forgotten. What I have forgotten is greater than what I remember. At times I am astonished at what I wrote years ago. I just don't remember.

The big building at number 5 Queens Road is clearly visible from our apartment. When we first moved here, the company Jetset (travel) had the naming rights. I assume building naming rights are a privilege to major tenants. Discreet dark blue neon signs atop the building faced four directions. I never photographed the sign in those pre digital camera days.

Then along came Pura, a large conglomerate company. The name is most familiar to us through their brand of milk. I thought Pura was owned by a New Zealand company, but I have just checked and it is owned my Mitsubishi of Japan. Yes, the maker of cars and many other products. Mitsubishi is such a diverse company that when one part of its business is not doing well, another part will.

Here is a photo of the sign. The same signs were bright white and the nearest lit up my bedroom at night. It did not take long before signs facing apartment buildings were switched off and I think only the sign facing north along Kingsway remained lit.


Did the next tenant learn a lesson about bright sign lighting from the previous naming right owner? No, it put four illuminated signs facing in four directions and it was not long before again three were shut down and removed. These signs must cost thousands of dollars. If I was a direct shareholder, I would be asking questions. Private enterprise wastes just as much money as government enterprise, if not more. This new naming tenant was a company that outfits commercial properties and goes by the rather unfortunate name of Isis. I am sure they had the name first and were copied by the terrorist group. I know I have photos of the Isis sign but I cannot find them easily and strangely blog searching won't find them either.

Well, Isis has disappeared to be replace by Shape. What is Shape? Ah, Isis has changed its name to Shape. Here is the new sign.



21 comments:

  1. I guess I would change anything named Isis too. I heard a little girl is being taunted somewhere because she is named Isis. I named a cat Isis, pure white, long hair, wild thing, now at a sanctuary, safe from taunting over her beautiful name, now opted by a terrorist group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who has called their dog isis
      Thought it a bit odd... But it was actually named after the dog from DOWNTON ABBEY

      Delete
    2. Strayer, they let Isis into a sanctuary. Be afraid fellow cats.

      John, I think you would be a good trivia night partner.

      Delete
  2. Who owns what these days, always a surprise.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is a quite safe call if you say a company is not Australian owned.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing who owns whom these days once you get researching.
    I often search on my blog for names mainly to see if I've done a post before on same place/subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, me too re searching. Often googling highriser and the the search word gets better results than Blogger's searching.

      Delete
  4. I can't remember what ISIS was, but every time I heard it I thought of those awful people. Good idea to change the name.
    Funny about the four signs though, history repeating itself with nothing being learned along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, we are supposed to learn from history, but it seems companies do not.

      Delete
  5. The original Isis was the Egyptian Goddess of magic and life; a far cry from the Islamic version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the name of the goddess is quite different to the acronym.

      Delete
  6. Nice view of the water. My view of port Phillip has been obscured by more and more buildings :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Ad Rad, we have lost views and will lose more too, but our principle front view is safe.

      Delete
  7. I WAS Isis for eleven days when we were in Egypt :) Interesting to hear that there are restrictions on neon lighting in residential area, quite right too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, lighting restrictions are enforced by local councils and the Environmental Protection Agency and I think they are reasonably active about it. You an Egyptian goddess, haha. Honey and milk baths but keep a look out for asps.

      Delete
  8. The name Isis is no longer used in newspapers and news reports here, they now use Islamic State or Daesh (something like that). The reason for the change was that numerous girls are called Isis and it was causing a lot of distress for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, our media has a bob three ways with names for the group. Yes, I imagine it would not be nice for girls called Isis.

      Delete
  9. oh yes, I know the building. I always wondered what sort of a company they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it is quite dominating when coming out of the city along Kingsway.

      Delete
  10. I'm glad the signs don't shine in your window any more. Unfortunate for people and pets called Isis but I've noticed the terrorist name has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I think pets can cope with it. Yes, depends which media outlet you are listening to among other factors.

      Delete