Monday, January 25, 2016

Evening bits

Let me begin with a request to Margaret. We love your Tasmanian produce, clean and green and all that but not the smoke you are sending us. Can you do something about your burning forests pls. The smoke is spoiling our view. Thanx.

I won't be posting anything about Australia Day beyond this. I don't like the day much anymore. It is all becoming we are so good. We are ok, just, but could be much improved. As I say Australia is not too bad, but we have to remember our ancestors were invaders of a land already owned, no matter how sparsely populated. And, they seem to have looked after the land over hundreds of thousands of years ever so much better than our ancestral invaders did. We now are not doing a great job either.

What could have been very tedious, the Australia Day Award announcements on our ABC TV, was very well done. Jeremy Fernandez has always been a favourite ABC Sydney person for me and he was a good choice as the host. As soon as I learnt a military person had been nominated, I knew who would win. Yet, he did give both our army and Australia a good shake. He is not undeserving even if his business was bashing off overseas in wars to kill people. It is just that a few too many honours go to military types.


The Australian Senior of the Year was very deserving. And this where it gets complicated. On the surface it might seem to some that he has received the award for just doing his job as a no doubt very well paid head of Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital Emergency Department, he has done so much more and is certainly deserving of the award. He could not be lumped in with award recipients who receive awards for just doing their paid job.

I s'pose I am proud to be Australian but whoa, we could be so much better. How about less reliance on volunteer work and more support for those in need from our taxes, even if that mean support for volunteers from our taxes.

I couldn't wait to get home tonight to check on the weather smart device as to whether it was a full moon or not. I had guessed it was by the way people were who I had contact with at work today, and sure enough. Full moon, not that we can see it because of all the smoke Margaret is sending out way. Fen, take note. When bad things happen at work, look at the sky to view the full moon.

22 comments:

  1. So, you there also howl and act out when the moon is full? We do here also. Our hair grows out, once dark, and all become fighting bitching snarling whining werewolves. We recover badly, in the morn, and the bad behavior slowly wanes. What can I say. We tend to look at you Aussies as more refined and mysterious and evolved than we here in the states. I think its your accent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, not quite to that extreme. It is just people with mental and drug issues seem to become ever so much worse when there is a full moon. I am not sure that you are right about us being more refined. I fact I am sure you are not. There is about three different accents here that you would be able to notice, but most people here don't speak the extreme Aussie accent.

      Delete
  2. Have a great day off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Gosia, well most of it has gone.

      Delete
  3. Part of being proud of one's country is advocating for it to continue to be something one can take pride in; a pity my country seems to have forgotten that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I think we do that, generally, or want to. We just muck it up often. I think US problems boil down to two things. The Lord and the lobby groups.

      Delete
  4. I just love "Bogans without Brains" Day. This year I haven't noticed too many flag waving cars on the roads perhaps they've all gone north.
    And Full Moon night at the Home really rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, good name. Nor have I seen many flags. I saw one stuck out a tram window. Don't go near the Home until the moon wanes.

      Delete
  5. I'm proud to be Australian, but having said that, there is much about Australia that should be so much better by now. Like the Army bloke said, behaviour such as he described really has no place here, or anywhere else for that matter. Gay marriage? We don't have that yet. Equal pay for women? Don't have that either. Big businesses having child creche for working parents? it works in Sweden, why not here? affordable Child Care/Day Care Centres? Hah! women are working just to be able to afford care, with very little left over. Why bother? Nationwide pipelines bringing water from monsoonal states to the drier areas? When, when, when, will that happen? There would be no need for all those expensive desal plants and our oceans would be safe from whatever waste products they must be pumping out. A better deal for the aboriginal areas wherever they may be, up north, over there, further that way, wherever.
    We need to look after our people and land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, almost motherhood statements but all perfectly true.

      Delete
  6. "even if his business was bashing off overseas in wars to kill people?" Ha! I think our army could be doing far more productive and valuable work than that.

    But in any case I think Australian of the Year should go to a scientist, an explorer, an academic or a literary type, someone who adds to our well being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it always strikes me that a large number of jobs in the forces are about killing people. I agree up to a point about the awards. There is no reason why an Australian of the year could not be a single person without money who adopts and successfully rears five children.

      Delete
  7. I like being Australian but that's all I ever been not much to compare to but my neighbourhood is so full of people from other places in the world they all look pretty happy most of the time, it not a bad place we all agree.
    Happy Australia day to you too.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I too like being Australian and take some pride that unlike so many countries who have immigrant communities that keep to their own and live parallel lives to the rest, our immigrants are much more integrated into society.

      Delete
  8. My heart sank when I heard A of the year was a military person. Even if he is getting the award for being the acceptable and even (relatively - ie, just catching up with the rest of us) progressive face of militarism, it's still simultaneously an award for militarism in my opinion.

    It seems the coalition is only really happy with sportspeople or military types as prominent public people from outside politics.

    My heart also sinks every time a military type gets a vice regal guernsey. However, I wonder if it is becoming counter-productive, as I don't think the military types get as much press because they don't tug a chord with the press. Maybe I'm not watching enough TV news but even in the bloody ANZAC year I don't think we've seen as much of Sir Peter as we used to see of Dame (she really went down in my estimation for accepting that even if I wasn't so surprised that she did) Quentin.

    Best thing about Australia Day this year is that it is the anniversary of the beginning of the end for Tony Abbott as PM (mark I at least: God spare us a repeat). Abbott's knigting of Prince Philip was the point where the public discourse made the critical shift from hate (or at least not liking) to ridicule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcellous, Sir Peter who? Point made. Bryce acquitted herself well enough, I thought. I think you are correct that we don't see as much of Sir Peter. For what the GGs cost us, we should see a damn lot of them doing things. Check out our new Governor, an interesting and modern thinking person.

      I agree, knighting PP was the beginning of The Abbott's demise.

      Delete
  9. Andrew, I must apologize for the smoke that is ruining your view :)
    There is one good thing though, we can see the sky after 1 week of not.
    Happy Australia Day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, so your skies were clear and ours were not. That is quite selfish of you, you know. Happy Australia Day to you.

      Delete
  10. Damn you Margaret!
    I am not happy that this guy got the award. The main selling point, sticking up for women (calling out sexism). So a guy gets lauded for this, yet when a woman does it she gets abuse, not awards. Anyway, i'm happy for a day off so I mustn't grumble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, its a valid point. He did also call out homophobia, racism etc. He is better than most service blokes who have received gongs.

      Delete
  11. It was lovely today Andrew, we went to Kings Park at midday to take a few shots of EQuay, the park was already filling up with families getting a good spot to watch the fireworks tonight, there were so many diverse nationalities sitting together all there to celebrate the same thing.. was good to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a pleasant time Grace. It was similar here.

      Delete