Monday, January 25, 2016

A waxy scorching

Some candle wax was spilt on the carpet near Christmas. Easy to get out, I thought. I consulted the late Martha Gardner's house hold tips books and then one by Shannon Lush. I wasn't particularly impressed with the use of chemicals on the carpet that aren't formulated for carpet. I then consulted the super sized search engine on the super sized information super highway and I found a solution I liked.

It involved putting brown paper over the wax in the carpet and pressing down on the paper with a hot iron. We have plenty of brown paper bags, so I got busy. The instructions said set the iron to its hottest setting and you may need to hold the iron there for up to 30 seconds.

Maybe they don't make brown paper like they used to? I put the hot iron on the brown paper for only 10 seconds, lifted the brown paper and the carpet was scorched in the shape of the base of the iron. Oh my god. What am I to do?

I worked away at the rest of the wax, leaving the iron on the paper for a second or two only and the wax was all removed. I then sprayed the scorched carpet with a chemical carpet cleaner and to my surprise, that helped a lot. Since then it has faded to the point where it is not even worth showing you a photo of scorched bit as it is barely visible and you would never find it without being told.

(This is an exceptionally boring post, even by my standards. What can I do to give a lift? A photo of burning candle? No. Ah, I've got it.)

Now all I have to do is get the wax out of my bed sheets.

19 comments:

  1. And after that last bit of information the mind boggles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, maybe I was burning a candle next to my bed?

      Delete
  2. Ah, but did you put ice cubes on the spill first then scrap up the hardened wax before using a not hot iron and brown paper?
    Still it will make a great party game of 'Spot the spot' for your next lot of guests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I did put some ice in a bag and tried that, but very tedious. I always get so afraid when you mention 'guests'.

      Delete
    2. don't bother with ice cubes, just let the wax dry and harden naturally before scraping off the excess, then do the paper towel and iron trick.

      Delete
  3. Candle wax, oh gosh. I do like having a candle or two burning once in awhile.
    Gosh you were lucky not to have ruined your carpet, but I would have to go to the search engine to find a solution too - I expect there were many..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we do have some spare carpet, so I guess a square could be cut and used to replace the scorched bit but it would not look very good and it is in full view. As it was very much on the surface, I also thought of shaving the carpet down a little.

      Delete
  4. I've done this successfully for wax on table cloths, with two difference. I used paper towel instead of brown paper, and a much lower setting on the iron, just enough to melt the wax so that it would soak into the paper towel. Much safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, it does seem like that is a better idea. If I spill wax again, I will know better.

      Delete
  5. I can understand how candlewax gets spilled on carpet, but how and why do you have wax in your sheets??
    wcs above me here has the right answer, paper towel, not brown paper, and use several thicknesses and keep changing sides as the wax is absorbed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, would you believe me if I said the wax go onto the sheets during and electricity blackout? Advice noted for the future.

      Delete
  6. You should use soy wax, it is easily removed from most things and it has a lower burning temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lower burning temperature doesn't sound like much fun, Fen.

      Delete
    2. Oh it's still a lot of fun dear, trust me!

      Delete
  7. Yea Fenstar, I knew there was something else I wanted to beat him over the head with. These days I have to use candles in glass jars as the cat is fascinated by the flame so beautiful candles sticks are only for show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I thought your pussy would quickly learn a lesson about candles.

      Delete
  8. Electricity blackout! Yeh sure Andrew.. I say that, yet I still have no idea why there was wax on le sheets, it sounds a little kinky, or is that just me :)

    ReplyDelete