Wednesday, December 23, 2015

We are rid of our drawers

On Monday a hard rubbish collection was announced for the building by the way of public notices in the lift etc. Put out between 5pm Tuesday and 5am Thursday.

Today, Wednesday, was my day off. R can't bear our building manager but I know he is a useful person to cultivate. I roll my eyes upwards at him and give the impression of being of being subservient to him and if he asked me to ???, I would oblige. He is a quite nice looking pale skinned Sri Lankan. Thus, I had no problem getting him to fetch for me the building trolley to cart our drawers downstairs to the collection area.

One large and then separately two small sets of drawers fitted perfectly onto the trolley and by 11am we had our drawers out in the street for collection by the local council hard rubbish collection people. At 11.30 we drove out to take the car to be washed, refill the barbeque gas bottle, put petrol in the car and have some lunch at Station Pier.

By 11.30 when we left the building, our drawers had been snatched. You would have to be quite prepared to be ready to pick up our old and not so clean drawers on the street at such short notice. I suspect either the building cleaner or the building manager took them. No problem with that, but next time a similar situation arises, I might just gently ask the building manager if anyone he knows of anyone would like our used drawers (and they can damn well carry them).

Our drawers were quite heavy and left marks on the carpet at their temporary location but R got busy with the iron and a damp cloth and easily raised the indented carpet pile.

16 comments:

  1. That's a handy service.
    As far as I know our area here doesn't have it.
    Merry Christmas..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, we have four collections per year. It is a good service and a very Merry Christmas to you.

      Delete
    2. Four???
      We used to get one and they are being phased out all over Adelaide in favour of anytime, paid, rubbish pick-ups, where you have to apply to your local council, pay up and get a 'legal' sticker which must be displayed prominently on an item or nothing gets picked up.

      Delete
    3. River, when you pay the amount of council rates to a council that we pay, which seems more interested in art and housing the poor, which is not a local government responsibility, and you live in a neglected part of the council area, four hard rubbish collections is the least we should expect.

      Delete
  2. I wish we had something like that. We have to pay dearly to have anything hauled away that doesn't fit into the can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I suppose we pay in one way, as council ratepayers.

      Delete
  3. We don't have it here either.
    Snickered at your post title, despite knowing about your unwanted drawers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well EC, we have many less drawers now and things feel much more spacious.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, your flat looks now better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly does, Gosia.

      Delete
  5. Hordes of people cruise the piles of unwanted items in our suburban streets for our periodic council clean ups and a fair percentage is scavenged well before the council collectors arrive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, not that much went out but there was even less there this morning. Buildings like this with a high turn over of Asian people provide ripe pickings.

      Delete
    2. Victor, not that much went out but there was even less there this morning. Buildings like this with a high turn over of Asian people provide ripe pickings.

      Delete
  6. When I first moved here I put out a new-looking TV table (and now wish I still had it) on the path by my front door, with a 'free' sign sticky-taped to it, and as I was walking back inside a very young couple driving past suddenly stopped and loaded it into their car, we waved at each other and they said thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, isn't it nice when you see something go to someone who looks deserving. I don't like the ones that collect to sell at markets.

      Delete
  7. I need to do my own hard rubbish pile again shortly. I have lots of things to get rid of :\

    ReplyDelete