Sunday, December 20, 2015

Way home from Merri Creek

I say farewell to the Merri Creek and Yarra River.



This is Turner Street, on which I walked up from the Yarra River.


Efficiency would have told me to then turn left and make my way to the main entrance of Victoria Park Station, but I did not. I continued along Turner Street. Not many buildings have street names on them in Australia but this house did. As have most properties along this street, this one had a large extension.


A delightful streetscape.


A classic early Victorian period cottage where a professional type probably once lived. There will be a hallway behind the front door with a series of rooms, bedrooms and living rooms, off to the side. At the rear of this house, unlike its original state, the house will be full width and open to a nice courtyard. Somewhere, a nice bathroom will have been installed and while it will still be small, it will be a very nice place. Such wonderful polychromatic brick work.


This is a very handsome house. Quite large enough for one.


Tracks to school, an attempt to encourage children to walk to school. Where am I? I forget the suburb name but I expect quite a number of children in this area walk to school. If you find independent young children anywhere in Melbourne, they will be in our inner northern and north eastern suburbs. With their hipster university educated parents who hold professional jobs with big firms but flaunt their green lefty credentials, it is a sure thing that they will bring up very clever and confident children.


I had no idea I would come across Victoria Park, former home to the Collingwood Football Club (Australian Rules). It is undergoing a lot of works. We still have most of the various old suburban football grounds, from the days when it was Victorian Rules before it became a national competition. St Kilda's Junction Oval, North Melbourne's Arden Street, Carlton's Princess Park, Hawthorn's Glenferrie Oval and some remnants of the Fitzroy football ground, which I showed you a year or so ago in my old Inner Circle train line walk.


It seems like this old entrance is to be kept.


Some historical dates with details carved into stone.


The rear side of the entrance.


Works were happening as sport was being played.


I think it is just terrific and it is wide open to the public. The Sherrin Stand to your left and the Bob Rose Stand to your right.


Another former entrance.


More information. I was a bit tuckered out so I did not stop to read.


Still a work in progress.


13 comments:

  1. Be interesting to see how new or fancy it might look when finished. That 'very handsome house' reminds me of the one we lived in when I was very young, about four I think, here in Adelaide before we moved to Port Pirie. The veranda was painted red and mum would polish it about once a month I think, and we kids were sent out to play on it in our socks and soft long pants, to help it buff up as much as possible after mum had finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably did not appreciate how nice the house was River. I remember sliding around in socks on a just polished floor to give it a shine.

      Delete
  2. I have really enjoyed walking with you (and no fatigue is a bonus too). Loved that very handsome house.
    I hope you are cooler (weather wise) today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EC. It is nice to share. This evening we have finally cooled down.

      Delete
  3. Sydney Council has completed a similar refurbishment of Redfern Oval (former home of South Sydney Rugby League Club) opening it up and retaining the space as an attractive public amenity for sport and exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear Victor. I note it is bordered by Phillip Street to the south. Is that the Phillip Street of revue fame?

      Delete
    2. No Andrew, the Philip Street of the revue fame is in the city between Elizabeth and Macquarie Streets.

      Delete
  4. Andrew I love a walk wioth you. I would like to live ion a handsome house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, many would and the house would be very expensive.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed your walk. Those houses are the same as many in and around our City..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes I expect they would be. There are some really nice houses in your city.

      Delete
  6. Those old cottages are lovely. Such character. Enjoyed the tour as always! Stay cool - saw reports about the dreadful fires in your state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, yes plenty of character, both wanted and unwanted. At least there hasn't been a loss of life but sad for people to lose their houses.

      Delete