Thursday, December 24, 2015

The Royals among us

Good lord. We nearly had a royal lad drowning in Queensland last week when little Prince Christian, son of Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and Australian born Princess Mary, was caught in a rip at Mermaid Beach and had to be rescued by a lifesaver. You foreigners really need to be careful in our waters. Your chances of being eaten or killed by one of our many venomous species is low, but your odds of drowning are a good bit higher. I just searched for a photo and found this one at News Limited. After seeing a few other photos, GAY! It is ordained.


To another royal story that I almost missed. A pauper died while sitting under a tree with his dog in the Northern Territory town of Katherine.  Kind of a sweet way to go really. A brief clutch at the chest and then just sagging a little. I can imagine him sitting with his back against the trunk of the tree and his loyal dog licking his hand while sitting beside him as he died. Who was he?

He was no less than Leonid Gurevich Kulikovsky, the great grandson of Tsar Alexander III, who reigned in Russia during the 1880s. He lived incognito in Australia since 1967. His car broke down in Katherine some years ago and he never moved on. If you have been to Darwin you could not help but of heard of the Paspaley pearling family, well Paspaley's Pearls at least, and they kindly allowed him to be buried in their private Greek family grave in Darwin. I assume the Paspaleys paid his funeral expenses. I can't find photos of him as an adult but here he is at a young age with his grandmother, Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna who was sister of Tsar Nicholas II and daughter of Alexandra III of Russia. Oh, those Romanovs. Intriguing to the last.


16 comments:

  1. Well at least your first royal survived. And the second, sounds like a peaceful enough passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, El Nino seems to be gifting N. America with venomous snakes. Two thus far, but dead when washed up on California beaches.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, it did sound peaceful. I did not know you didn't really have venomous snakes.

      Delete
  2. Andrew as I live a long distance of water definitely I afraid of it. I prefer swimming pool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is good to have some fear of water.

      Delete
  3. I saw the Leonid Gurevich Kulikovsky story. A very different end to his beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, probably most people did, but I was very busy that week. Yes, such a difference.

      Delete
  4. As a child I had this fantasy that a long forgotten link from the Romanovs to me was established through my East European born parents and that I had been crowned Tsar in a return of the Russian monarchy.

    I've grown up since and also become a Republican.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your highness, are you quite sure there is no royal blood?

      Delete
  5. I was horrified when I heard about Crown Prince Christian. Princess Mary is Australian and well knows the dangers of rips, why wasn't someone watching where the Prince was swimming? He was only saved because the life-saver saw him in the rip.

    Those Romanovs have my mother's cheekbones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, on the face of it, some basics did seem to be neglected. I am sure they will be more careful in the future after a fright like that. You didn't inherit your mother's cheekbones?

      Delete
    2. Yes, but you can't see them under the fatty....errr, chubby cheeks.

      Delete
  6. What a nasty story about the great grandson of the hugely famous Russian Tsar Alexander III. Whatever we think of powerful and conservative rulers exploiting their peasants and workers, his great grandson did not deserve to live in a miserable caravan park in northern Australia since 1967; and to die alone in 2015. No-one does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that no-one deserves to die like that Hels, but he did come here by choice and did travel by choice. There must be an awful lot of descendants sprinkled around the world.

      Delete
  7. The great grandson, well he must have liked Katherine to stay there. Maybe he didn't have much money. Sad story in away.
    The Prince from Denmark, I wonder was it as bad as they say....better be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the way I read it, he did not have money. The news I saw played down the Prince story and while in a bit of trouble, there was no real risk to his life.

      Delete