Wednesday, December 23, 2015

That'll learn 'em

Is there a Twitter hashtag #Trapped by Telstra? I am sure there is a #I hate Telstra.

Telstra is our large, formerly government owned, telecommunication company. Both our mobile phones are out of contract and Telstra has taken advantage by increasing the cost of each phone plan by $10 to $35. We may make two calls a month and send a few text messages. $5 of the cost is for a data allowance of 250mb.

I was a bit cross about it. I called Sonny in Telstra's Philippines call centre who apologised profusely. What annoyed me most that we weren't notified. I noticed our bundle bill was a little higher and checked the bill as to why.

Sonny was no comprende about any reason for the cost increase. His final suggestion was pay as you go. That would probably mean we would lose our phone numbers that we have had for years, nearly two decades in my case. Telstra's pay as you go is expensive anyway. I looked at alternatives. Aldi uses the Telstra network as does Woolworths. They do offer a cheaper service.  I checked with R and eventually agreed with him that it was all too hard.

Our internet comes via a Telstra cable to our desktop computer where a modem then distributes a wi fi signal. The modem is also cable connected to the computer. TPG has installed equipment in our building to provide customers with high speed fibre optic, but the last stage of it is via the copper phone wiring in the building Their price and bundles are extremely competitive. This is tempting, except our phone outlet plugs are not near the computer desk and there is no easy way to get the phone line near to the computer. Again I feel trapped by Telstra, but wait.

We are overdue replacing our grandfather's axe computer and the next one will be able to wi fi. There is no reason why the modem can't sit at the telephone point and our desktop pick up the signal. Telstra, finally gotcha! I and others have been very tolerant over many years of your behaviour but increasing the cost of our mobile phone plans was the point where you tipped us over and killed the remaining goodwill we had towards what was our government owned phone company.

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:49 am

    Telstra - like the Commonwealth Bank and Qantas. Former government owned enterprises that used to provide a service but now gouges you for every penny they can get. I haven't flown Qantas for years and am forced to stick with THAT bank because I can't see any difference between the big banks.
    Good luck with the wifi. I have a friend in Tenterfield who recently got connected to the NBN. Says it's terrific and he now has Netflix. But who wants to live in Tenterfield? - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, it is very much like that. These are more or less essential services and should not be run by private profit making companies, overseas ones at that.

      Delete
  2. Could you have made a note in your diaries as to when the contract would expire? Then you simply renew a day or two before the expiry and keep the same cost. Good idea to have the modem sit at the phone point, one less wire connected to the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I did not think of asking for another contract but our last one included phone repayment. Still, I should have asked.

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love broadband providers and mobile phone companies. My provider - TalkTalk have given me the grand total of £10 off my bill for all the inconvenience I've experienced over the last couple of months. Such a generous Christmas gift!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I would judge extreme inconvenience, as it sounds like you experienced, should be worth having a month's bill waived.

      Delete
  4. Privatisation of OUR communal resources is an obscenity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. An expensive, frustrating obscenity.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Hels, built up with taxpayers money and turned into a privately owned profit making company.

      EC, I misread frustrating for another word as I skim read.

      Delete
  5. Who doesn't hate Telstra, it was worse when we had no choice and had to deal with them.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, back when I was very young, Telecom and the PMG gave us very good service.

      Delete
    2. You must be older than me I don't remember that.
      Merle..................

      Delete
  6. Ah ha, good job. Love stories like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, not an idle threat, but I have done nothing about it yet.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you don't use your mobile sufficiently for a plan to be worth it.

    TPG mobiles are now migrating to Vodafone (previously they were Optus) - just mention that in case the actual provider is relevant to you. If you thought Telstra's call centre service poor wait till you try TPG's - it's very much self-service to keep the costs down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so Marcellous, but generally if you use prepaid, you lose your credit anyway.

      I did dabble with Optus for a year or so and its coverage was poor. Telstra, with taxpayers support, built up such a good network, they are so hard to better. Now I am afraid about TPG. Telstra's call centre is not bad for run of the mill stuff.

      Delete
  8. That sounds incredibly uncompetitive. I don't often praise our government (no matter what the party) but they have made migrating to a new provider very easy and fast. We don't make many mobile calls either, usually I use it for data and even then only when I'm not at home. We use BT (same as your Telstra in nature) and as an add on to our landline and internet, I get a monthly package of unlimited calls and texts and 500MB of data for £11.00 per month - A$22? I'd say dump the crooks and go with a new provider. They don't deserve your business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, as they call it here, we can easily port(e?)between different providers. Your add on plan is more generous and a good bit cheaper than ours.

      Delete
  9. We are with Telstra and haven't had any problem all these years.
    I certainly can't understand why they gave charged you extra and didn't tell you. That is not ethical at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, Telstra seems to have an aversion to sending any mail at all now. We should have been told.

      Delete
  10. Never ever will I go with Telstra. I'm hoping I can stay with internode when I move. My phones are with optus.

    ReplyDelete