Sunday, December 13, 2015

Sunday Selections

Just some random photos for Sunday Selections. River and others join in.

Owned by Royal Caribbean Cruise, the Celebrity Solstice begins its journey down Port Phillip Bay from Melbourne's Station Pier towards The Rip, where she will then enter the open ocean of Bass Strait and sail on to a destination unknown. She was berthed in Sydney when we visited in March.


I can be sitting at the desk and out of the corner of my eye I see movement and invariably it is a balloon.


This one settled nearby in Fawkner Park.

The upmarket Cafe Vue, owned by celebrity chef Shannon Bennett closed and re-opened with a new name. It was just as expensive but we did not try it as we received such bad service there over three separate visits when it was Cafe Vue. It is now up for lease again. Note the French flag, in support of France after that terrible Paris assault last month. Bennett is a known lover of French cuisine.


For the first year in many I did not make a Christmas cake, but R did under my guidance. So far as we can see, it turned out very well. The skewer is to put holes in the surface to allow the whisky to soak in. Later it will get a layer of marzipan and then one of white icing. It was only cooked at 150C degrees and the layer of brown paper around the outside stops it becoming overcooked at the edges.

 

Dog Jack was visiting and we decided to go out for some lunch and give him some exercise. Our balcony can give us a deceptive impression of the weather. It felt quite cool so we wore jackets. They were quickly discarded once we reached St Kilda's West Beach. We had a bite to eat and coffee at the Bathers Pavilion.


It was anything but cool.


Dog Jack chased the ball then would not bring it back, as he does at times. He decided after one chase of the ball, that it was quite enough and found some shade.


Then he was off like a rocket to greet a family sitting on the beach. Eventually he returned. He is a bad dog to let off the leash, so it was back on with the leash.


All the shaded areas were taken, so we sat at a shaded table up on the footpath. A man and his young son were talking about the cute little white dog tied to our table. The man asked if the boy could pat the dog. Of course we said yes. Go on Jack, the man said to the boy. Give the dog a pat. I said to the man, guess what the dog's name is.


I am bit rusty with Roman numerals, but something about this told me it was not a Roman numeral and I was correct. Not sure what it is.


Since Jack was not going to behave on the beach, and we were wearing shoes making it hard work to walk on the sand, we strolled along the beach path and then crossed over to the other side and admired a few buildings as we returned to the car. I had just found the vivid setting on the camera. A bit too much vividness.



20 comments:

  1. Aren't cruise ships BIG? Huge even.
    I do love balloons. Seeing them, like rainbows, always makes me smile.
    I did make Christmas cakes. Many, many christmas cakes. Too lazy to ice them though.
    Love that final building. It has charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, up close they are terrifyingly huge but their size makes them look safe to me. I am not one for icing Christmas cakes but R prefers them to be.

      Delete
  2. Couldn't quite make out if those 'numerals' were 'I V X I I' or 'I V X U'. If the former it could mean '4 12' (perhaps someone's idea of a date; say 4 December). If the latter could mean 'I something something you'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, even looking at the stone itself I could not tell if the last two characters were II or U. So V X could be a euphemisms for something. The mind boggles.

      Delete
  3. Andrew , the cake looks delicious so send a pice of it to Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Gosia, but you can pay the freight. It is very heavy.

      Delete
  4. I used to get balloons flying low over my house in Brisbane and we would know by the woosh sound of the hot air being topped up. Great vignettes this week Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it is a great sound to hear. But we don't hear the whoosh too often.

      Delete
  5. That final photo is very vivid. I think I'll avoid that setting if I ever find it on my camera.
    R's cake turned out very well. I'd planned on making one this year, I have Sue's recipe, but just didn't get around to even buying the ingredients :(
    The beach photos are wonderful. And Jack is cute as well as a bit naughty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River,the cake was made from a recipe I found online. As soon as I saw the recipe, I knew it was a good one. I altered a couple of things in the recipe and it seems like my thoughts were correct. However, the proof of the pudding etc. Jack is very cute and always attracts attention when we take him out.

      Delete
  6. St Kilda's West Beach, as your photo shows, is an excellent place to sit and drink. Do you remember the St Kilda Baths in their heyday?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, not their heyday but I certainly remember them and walking around the decking surrounding the water.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely, sunny day Andrew. Not much sun here just now, but the temperatures are unseasonably warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, I keep hearing this word unseasonable. Nothing to do with climate change though.

      Delete
  8. Jack the kid pets Jack the dog. Hope the kid was better behaved than the dog. Ha. As for the symbols in stone. If its IV XII, 4 12 or if it's IV XI J--411 (fyi) but why they J (an initial maybe) (FYI-J). If the first symbol is a small L, lV might be short for Love, x is short for kisses. Love, Kiss you. Who knows. Most people carve initials however, or declare love, especially in stone (takes time). Second set of letters much poor quality than first, so perhaps two different people did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it seems unlikely that they are Roman numerals. As for a message, rather like those personalised car number plates that you just can't work out.

      Delete
  9. Most impressed with both of your cake making skills. I love a good boozy christmas cake with marzipan and icing. In fact I'm tempted to have a bit for breakfast. I'm surprised to see balloons in the city. Isn't that a tad reckless? I can see it in the countryside where there is presumable much more land available in the event of a mishap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, the cake is now iced. While I have confidence in my cake making skills, I am not artistic but R has done a great job of decorating the cake. A photo in the future of course. Melbourne is one of the few cities in the world where balloons can fly over. We have an adequate amount number of parks and open spaces and ballooning is quite precise. There is the occasional minor mishap but there has never been anything serious. The main ballooning company this year won the best tourist experience from Tourism Victoria.

      Delete
  10. Exactly how high up are you Andrew? Too high pour moi! All I can think about now is iced Christmas cake.. and I'm just about to go to bed.. cake crumbs in bed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, we are maybe 60 metres off the ground. I can's stand crumbs in beds.

      Delete