Sunday, December 06, 2015

Sunday Selections

River and others participate in Sunday Selections. Check some out.

Castlemaine slate? Perhaps. Or you may describe it as vertical crazy paving. Slate is a soft stone and if this slate is original work, I am surprised at that it has lasted so well. This type of slate comes in some lovely colours.


You need a very big crane to remove a crane. The redevelopment of 405 is almost complete now. My local erection is well ahead of Victor's.  These photos were taken a good while ago. We are yet to confirm that it will be a hotel.



Don't click on this photo for a closer look.


Nor this one. Especially you, Victor. Admiring thighs is so shallow. He does have a brain you know, and a mouth to speak and nice lips from where the words come from, really nice lips and ....(ouch, who gave me that karate chop to the back of my neck?)


A cool conversation pit at Melbourne University.


I was hard pressed to remember why I was at Melbourne University. Ah yes, there was a display booth, without much detail at all, promoting our yet to be built Metro Rail tunnel. I am not sure what this below is all about. What a waste of my time, but an old bloke does need an outing on a day off work.


There was were a couple of works at St Kilda's Linden Gallery annual Post Card Show that grabbed my camera's attention. The bare topped bloke is former Prime Minister Tony Abbott and Nauru Island is an independent country where those trying to arrive by boat and hoping to be granted refugee status in Australia are detained. My great uncle lived on Nauru as a phosphate miner, no doubt one of those who caused terrible environmental destruction. We never met him but he and his wife used to send our family a Christmas card and always enclosed a packet or two of assorted postage stamps from around the world for us kiddies. He and his wife retired to Perth.


No comment required.


A curious sculpture in the the grounds of Linden. Stone cushions are generally so comfortable, no?


Lastly, celebrity spot for the week, actor Stephen Curry in Prahran Market courtyard. R nudged me and pointed him out but R could not remember his name until I told him. R said that as he had a bunch of flowers in his hand, he must live locally. Well, that would be a surprise, famous actor lives in Prahran/South Yarra area. If you watch Australian tv, you will have seen him in one show or t'other, or on the big screen in a movie.

20 comments:

  1. Love the endangered species poster. I wish.
    And the slate.
    And the thighs I didn't embiggen. Ok, the thighs I did embiggen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am not sure which way to take that poster. Does it mean domestic violence is endangered?

      Delete
    2. I took it as an apiration. An aspiration that domestic violence (hate the term) does become endangered. And not preserved.

      Delete
    3. EC, that is how I took when I saw but then later I wondered if I had it wrong.

      Delete
  2. Andrew I really like the poster endangered species

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it did rather make a statement.

      Delete
  3. I will buy you a better zoom lens for your next milestone anniversary, Andrew.

    You are correct, the development next door to my apartment building is proceeding at a leisurely pace. I should update photographic progress on my blog shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most kind, Victor. I look forward to seeing the progression next door, with zoom if there is something to see.

      Delete
  4. The Bridge of Thighs? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That conversation pit at Melbourne University is very cool. It was a green, gorgeous campus until 1960, then everything was concreted over or rebuilt in Modern Ugly during the years I was there. Now some more green and more quiet space would be very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, while is a rather a hodge podge of styles, I find the environment there now rather good, with lots of trees and greenery and open space.

      Delete
  6. I like that conversation pit, it's a nice cosy size, no shouting required.
    I'm with stupid - ha ha. No comment required, that picture tells a 1000 words :(
    The pillow sculpture is odd, why a pillow?
    Don't recall Stephen Curry in anything. Probably don't watch enough TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think EC has the context of the photo correct. If you go to the link, you will see the names of the many shows Curry has been in.

      Delete
  7. You must have had your binoculars on that person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that is a bit creepy for me. Besides the camera zoom does a better job.

      Delete
  8. Very nice selection of thighs Andrew.. I think we could be surprised at the earnings of our TV actors, might not be as much as we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, as an annual wage, I am sure it is not very good but Stephen has been in so many shows over the last few years, I should think is ok.

      Delete
  9. I did enlarge the photos you said not to, of course. My goodness, Andrew, nice view. Watching your bigger crane take out the smaller one. Who removes the bigger crane then, I had to think. Sometimes might be better to not think. Loved the post card exhibit. My grandpa used to send us stamps from where he traveled, all around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, a smaller mobile crane removed the really tall one after it had removed the main crane. Following me? Stamp collection now is surely now only practised by very few. We hardly receive any mail now.

      Delete