Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Merri walk 4 Pt 2

What on earth is a labyrinth? I don't know but I am about to find out. This lass had been stalking me getting in the way of my photos for a while.Walking around in circles is apparently good for your mental health and sense of well being. You can guess my attitude to such a thing.




Interesting though.


More wankery at the same place.



An open sided timber box with a sprung top. Why?





The path must have headed uphill away from the creek here. I believe this area is called Quarries Park, no doubt once the site of a quarry. As you can see, I am not far from the city now. The nice daddy is taking his young baby for a walk in the fresh air. This was the only day where someone said hello to me as we passed by, a friendly older guy. Generally no one would meet my eyes for the whole of the walk, be they walkers or cyclists. It is pointless to try to smile at anyone when they don't even meet your eyes. Most people had earphones in their ears, perhaps to drown out the bird song. I found this lack of acknowledgement a bit odd and it showed me a different side of Melburnians. Maybe it is a north of the Yarra River thing. I can walk in any park around here and find friendly people. Most cyclists rang their bell or gave some warning before they overtook me. Only once did I get a get a fright from a high speed passing cyclist. One woman, I think on the second day, called out, passing and good morning to you. A cyclist did stop the nice daddy in front of me to ask him some directions and the nice daddy seemed to be very helpful.


Nicholas McNulty, Dublin Ireland, 11/4/69-30/7/97. RIP. Ar dheis de go raibe A h-aman dilis

I guess that is Irish Gaelic. I just googled his name and I am pleased I did not know about this before I began the walk. Here is a link to a piece in The Irish Times explaining his tragic death.


One could be sceptical, but if you are the type to get involved, this sort of thing is really community building and getting to know your neighbours.


I enjoyed this final leg of the walk more than the previous three jaunts.


Sri Chinmoy Peace Mile? Never heard of it.



Nice shelter but look at the rock strata behind.


What on earth is this?

I felt like I would be intruding into someone's home if I went down the steps.


Look, a wheel to operate something.


Ah, a water gate. The channel in the photo above was a water race to operate a flour mill.


Long have I wanted to see Dights Falls and here it is. A blogger in the distant past, Ben, suggested I visit after heavy rain. This was not a day after heavy rain. It's a concrete water barrier probably built to dam the water for the flour mill water race to operate. Originally it was timber which I think was destroyed in a flood.


Some explanation. Unfortunately the platform to view the 'waterfall' was occupied by workers improving the platform to view the waterfall, so I could not get too close to the waterfall.


 A bit downstream.


Looking back at the falls.


Holy moly, Merri Creek is big here, I briefly thought. Andrew, you are a stupid old man. You have missed the confluence of Merri Creek and the Yarra River. In spite of my now sore feet, I backtracked for a bit to take this 'brilliant' photo of the confluence.


I think this is telling cyclists to use their bicycle bells to warn pedestrians, I think.


Another look back at the falls.


This is a long panel with some Aboriginal sayings with good pictures. The historical Aboriginal connection to Merri Creek and the Yarra River is not to be underestimated. While you Aboriginal folk did not have much choice about sharing them with us whities, I thank you.




Now, which way to home? I have completed the Merri Creek walk. It would take me forty minutes at a guess to walk to the city and with already sore feet and I had no intention of doing so. If I followed the Yarra River, it is a 14 kilometre walk to town and I have decided to do that in the future, broken into three or four walks, depending on public transport links. Instead of heading to Johnston Street to get to the main entrance of Victoria Park Station, I used a side street and I was very surprised at what I came across and it is well worth another post. The Yarra is a lazy river, but I look forward to walking her banks from here into town.


PS The camera is fixed. I finally found the reset to factory settings feature. You won't see an immediate improvement as there is a bit of a backlog of photos.

16 comments:

  1. Andrew all photos are interesting But I love the wheel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved walking with you (and avoiding the sore feet) and am looking forward to your Yarra walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I fairly well know what to expect along the way, having seen most of the places along the Yarra but there are parts I haven't seen.

      Delete
  3. I like today's walk best because of Dights Falls, it looks so calm and peaceful. Did you sit and listen to the water for a bit? I know I would have.
    a Labyrinth is a maze, I'm surprised you did not know that or work it out from the circular maze the woman was walking through. It appears to be a place where one can meditate or just sit and collect ones thoughts. The box with the sprung lid is a curiosity. Perhaps to sit and bounce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I didn't sit but I think I will start the next walk from there and hopefully without workers there. I do know a labyrinth is a maze but I never knew how it was made. The box seemed a bit high to bounce on. I looked a bit like a bee hive to me.

      Delete
  4. How horrible that a young Dublin man was killed in Melbourne, presumably while he and his girlfriend were on holiday here. Yes the presumed killer was taken into psychiatric care, but imagine if parents overseas no longer trusted Australia to look after their family members :( I feel sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, further reading told me the perpetrator was already under care, the victim's girlfriend was Australian and he was about to begin a good job in Queensland. Like you, I hate the thought of knocks on doors overseas where parents are informed of the death of their children in a far away land.

      Delete
  5. You seem to come across the most interesting things on your walks. I need to get a bit further out of the CBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Ad Rad. Not far out of the CBD either.

      Delete
  6. Good for you. A great walk and well documented. You know walking the labyrinth is quite calming, try one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane. Pity about the poor photos. I know how to calm myself without walking in circles. Jeeves, another gin and tonic.

      Delete
  7. Excellent walk Andrew, lots of weird and wonderful things to see. You're not going to find me walking in circles meditating either :) So sad about the young guy from Dublin but if there's one thing I've learnt this year life can be pretty random!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. Yes, the random will get you every time.

      Delete
  8. Don't knock the Labyrinth, it's associated with the magical power of women, at least in Europe and England. Put a foot wrong and we'll have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, if you intended to terrify me, you have.

      Delete