Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Merri walk 4 Pt 1

The Epping train line is no longer. It is now called the South Morang line. I once thought of travelling to Epping just for a look. I quickly came to my senses. Continually renaming railway lines as new stations are added or a line extended is so stupid. We don't hear the automated 'mind the gap' announcements on our train system, but you do see some signage at times. This is a temporary sign and I wonder why. Is the gap temporary? We don't seem to have the gap size that can be seen on London's Tube.


Like a horse and carriage go together, so too do peppercorn trees and railway lines.


Oh.


I left the train at Rushall Station and the next couple of shots are from the bridge over the creek which I had to cross as the path was only on the eastern bank.



It was an overcast day, so I set the camera to cloudy. That was a mistake.


Not nearly as much vandalism in this latter part of the full walk, but still some.


A nice bridge for High Street.


Not a clue what this colourful wreath like thing is for.


Another bridge, perhaps for the Hurstbridge train.


The writing begins, Welcome to the traditional lands of my father's people.




Ducks grazing on some underwater growth.



The project, whatever it was, marks the 150th anniversary of the State of Victoria.


Believe me, over the four days it took to complete the walk, I was constantly scanning the ground for Joe Blakes.



This would be some type of acacia, or wattle tree if you like. The are generally fast growing but short lived trees. On a very hot sunny day, these pods will begin popping open and the seeds will fly out. The seeds are very hard and it can take a hot fire to crack them open. You can actually hear them popping open quite easily. The sound like the cracking of a thin dry twig.


Friends of Merri on Parade. It seems it was once called Ross Creek, but I can only ever remember it as Merri Creek.


Somebody is in a bit of strife.


A very nice place to sit, but I didn't.


Housing with a view of the creek, nice.


Crossing to the other side.



Well, that is road to nowhere.


"Fido, don't walk on the wet.........". Too  late.


What are these fragments of something strewn around.


More up here.


And here. I guess a fence above has fallen apart and it construction fallen down the bank. I think above me at this point I could hear a megaphone being used at what sounded to be a school, but looking at a map, probably the Collingwood Little Athletics Centre.


Now this is a great bluestone bridge, I guess carrying Heidelberg Road traffic up above.



More of that cotton like stuff.


A circular pattern of cyclists.


A nice seat and table for a break. While a bruschetta washed down with a gin and tonic would have nice, I settled for my bread and butter and some water.


Look Mitchell, we have pole walkers here too.


Housing Commission (government) flats in I guess Northcote.


Creek would be down there.


Getting very civilised now.


For wetland read swamp. Swamps are very important to native plants and animals and should not be drained.


"Oh no Fido, not again."


An odd little dam with a viewing platform. Nothing to see here. Moving on.



There were a lot of bell miner birds around, or as we call them, bell birds. They make quite a sweet sound but it does become boringly repetitive after hearing them for long time. They are quite loud.


Part 2 of day 4 soon.

27 comments:

  1. Bridges are interesting and strong. The landscape interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, wonderful old bridges and built to last.

      Delete
  2. Love the bridges. And the water. The grafitti? Not so much.
    It is ages since I have heard a bell bird - thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think bell birds are more coastal dwellers. Wait, I will check. Yes, they are. Quite uninteresting appearance.

      Delete
  3. I’ve been a dilatory blogger for so long now I’ve missed the beginning of your walk.
    Are you getting footsore at all?

    Interesting pictures along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friko, yes, at time my feet get sore. In your money, four miles is about enough for me but there is getting to the walk and what I do afterwards on top of that.

      Delete
  4. I kinda like the road graffitti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No argument from me John. I like political graffiti and of course amusing graffiti. But not tagging.

      Delete
  5. I love those old bandstands and wish they were still used for music. However they can still be used by hikers and picnickers. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I know the one in Walhalla is used, striding Stringers Creek as it does, and the one in Williamstown.

      Delete
  6. Wow, those bell birds song is something else. That might drive one nuts to hear too long. Joe Blokes, is that what you call snakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, no Strayer, Joe Blakes, snakes, rhyming slang. Like dead horse, sauce.Yes, bell birds can be a bit much at times.

      Delete
  7. You found some interesting things.
    Glad the weather wasn't too hot as the thought of snakes is not so good.
    The video, was good to hear those birds, and yes, they are rather loud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, thanks. As I thought, the closer to the city, the more interesting the walk would become.

      Delete
  8. Another lovely wander, I'm enjoying these. I've heard some of those seeds popping open, some are quite loud like little firecrackers going off.
    I've wondered what Bell birds sound like, now I know. It's a pretty sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the sound of bell birds is pretty, but not when it goes for hour after hour. That is probably in the mating season. Yes, you can certainly hear the pods opening up and distributing the seeds.

      Delete
    2. Like the wood pigeons (I think) here who co-coo for hours until I give up trying to sleep in and get up for coffee instead. They start before dawn and keep going until about 8-9am.

      Delete
    3. Couldn't you just kill them at times, River. Not such a problem here, but the wattle birds at Sister's wake me early in the morning.

      Delete
  9. The tree foliage is very typically Australian (to my eyes anyway) - lots of eucalyptus? Graffiti is a pet hate of mine I mist admit and it depends upon how reactive your local council is as to whether it is under control. Thankfully we have very little in our rural area and what does appear is taken care of by our local council quickly (you can report it via their app). Nice walk - I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig, yes, our native flora is a very grey green, not bright at all. Dull one might even say.

      Paris, the city of light, of the arts, of culture but how awful is the graffiti as you enter Paris when you excitedly peer out the window of Eurostar. I don't recall much graffiti in Britain and we have been off the beaten track. It is quite bad here, worse than what I saw in New York.

      Delete
    2. Dull? no no. Subdued, soft, subtle.

      Delete
  10. Bell birds are highly territorial and will drive out all the other birds in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true Fen, as I learnt. They like family groups and who could argue against families? Politicians love the word family.

      Delete
  11. I enjoy your walks round these different areas. I do not like to see graffiti, it just degrades an area as far as I'm concerned. Like that message to the jogger. We are always being watched - spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the only effective spoiler of graffiti seems to be to quickly remove it, like the next day. When the ongoing costs of a project are calculated, an amount for graffiti removal needs to be added. I just watched a brief doco on the London nail bomber in the 90s. If it wasn't for cctv, poor as it was back then, he could have been at large and set many more bombs. I don't mind being watched. I check where cameras are before I pick my nose.

      Delete
  12. The bell birds sound so much more pleasant than the two crows that wake me up at 5am every morning Andrew, last week I flew out the front door in my jam jams (lucky I had some on) and threw mulch from the garden at them.. it worked for a while :) Love to see the bridges you encounter on your walks, blimey that graffiti area was bad, every city has them.. frustrated no talent street artists!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that must be so annoying. Have you heard the expression, stone the crows? Not that I am suggesting violence against critters. I think Melbourne is particularly bad by Australian standards.

      Delete