Saturday, December 05, 2015

Maccas Muck Up

It is to the credit of the wealthy middle class of Melbourne that McDonalds and places like Gloria Jeans and Starbucks failed in the salubrious suburbs like Camberwell and Malvern. It may well have only come about from snobbery, but it is a good result. Just a hundred metres away from The Highrise, Gloria Jeans has closed down, replaced by what I think is a local chain cafe. We have been to the new place a few times and rather like it.

But Andrew Highriser cannot forget his ever so common roots and had a hungering for McDonalds last Saturday morning. Instead of our usual brunch cafe choices, we visited McDonalds in Chapel Street for breakfast. R was in the past impressed by Little Jo's tech skills with ordering food on Maccas electric menu. Away R went, trying to emulate Little Jo's quick touch screen skills that concludes with Little Jo saying, I need your card to pay. He failed to see the note that said, printer not working, note you order number. By the time it came up on the screen that there was a problem, it was too late to see his order number.

C'mon, 'fess up, most of you would have seen the inside of a bustling Maccas. This store was almost empty of customers with only two staff behind the counter. Nevertheless, two customers were patiently waiting for their ordered food for quite a time. R paid out on the staff member over the failed machine. While he was doing so, I ordered my food on the other electric machine that did a have a working printer. I chose the same as R, including some kind of burger I had not heard of before. R was now trying to order over the counter the same meal for himself as I was having, except I know full well about McDonalds coffee and so I chose orange juice.

R was stressed, confused and bewildered and stepped back from the counter. I stepped in with my receipt. Sorry, that meal is not available until the 2nd of December, which raises the question as to why it was a valid selection on the electric menu selection system.

We then went the old fashioned method and ordered over the counter. We waited and waited for our meals, the longest wait I have ever had in McDonalds. The meals eventually arrived and the apologetic staff member had slipped in an extra hash brown each for us. I feel bad about eating one very unhealthy single hash brown, let alone two, but I did eat both. I suppose we had been the store less than half an hour, but not much less. We are in and out our usual Saturday morning cafes quicker than that, well no longer really. I can't see the store lasting much longer. Maybe it survives by being in a late night entertainment area and stays open very late.

27 comments:

  1. No one really knows how/why MickeyD's continues to survive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, there are more outlets than we saw in and around New York. It is very popular here in lower socio economic areas.

      Delete
  2. I confess to occasional golden arches consumerism too.

    My experience with the self ordering technology has been patchy. Apparently I have difficulty swiping right to left on the screen and have several times inadvertently ordered something listed mid screen when what I really wanted was off screen to the right. Of course I cancelled that order and tried again....for the same result...and tried yet again. Yep, same result third time. That's when I went the old fashioned route and queued up for real service as distinct from virtual service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, swiping right to left is such an unnatural practice. No wonder it all went so wrong. We only tried it because it was there and I doubt we will bother again.

      Delete
    2. I see people swiping right to left all the time on Ipads, I phones, kindles, perhaps that's why Macca's chose that system.

      Delete
    3. River, when using my tablet or phone, it is very unusual to have to swipe to the left.

      Delete
  3. Not for me. I have friends who swore Maccas is the perfect hang-over cure and another who loves their coffee but I have never been in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, while we have it rarely, we always wonder afterwards why we did. No, don't sully your good name by visiting one.

      Delete
  4. Andrew in McDonald I love coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, how could you? It is horrible.

      Delete
    2. Maybe it isn't horrible coffee where Gosia lives.

      Delete
    3. Quite possible River. MacD does differ around the world.

      Delete
  5. I once had a cup of coffee in McDonalds about 30 years ago and it was so bad I didn't have another for about 25 years but I must say they have improved.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, sorry, not in my book. In fact I preferred their awful drip coffee thirty years ago.

      Delete
  6. That does sound like very poor service. As for the electric menu service, I don't like that idea at all, before you know it there will be no serving staff, the electronically chosen meal will be electronically shoved through an electronically opened slot. Welcome to the future (*~*)
    I've never tried Maccas coffee and I never will. In places like that I get a bottle of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, seniors get free coffee and tea at McDonalds. Doesn't tempt you?

      Delete
    2. Not in the slightest, I like the coffee I make at home, hot and sweet, not that inky looking sludge I see there. And I only drink herbal teas from leaves I pick in my garden, usually sage and mint.

      Delete
  7. Sounds an awful mess if you ask me...that is not good service at all.
    We have Maccas about every two weeks, drive through mostly. Have never had their coffee, and won't. Gloria Jeans closed down the road here as well, a couple of years ago. Now new owners and called something else..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it really wasn't a great experience for us and I am sorry I asked R to go there. Good to hear you local GJ closed down. I don't like GJ because of its association with Hill Song Church.

      Delete
  8. 'fess up? Hand on heart I can honestly say I have never been inside a Maccas, bustling or otherwise. There are three main reasons why not:
    1. the young workers are not unionised, are under paid and lose their jobs when they would have to be paid adult wages.
    2. fast food is very bad for a person's health and
    3. I don't like American capitalists pushing Australian businesses out of our market place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you Hels. Very occasional fast food is not so bad but many eat it far too often.

      Delete
  9. I never go into Gloria Jeans for two reasons.. the coffee is abysmal AND it comes in a paper cup, ughy! I confess to McDonald's once in a blue moon, drive-through and not coffee, usually a cheeseburger.. I'm a creature of habit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, like you, I won't go to places that only offer paper cups and that is the case with most coffee chain stores.

      Delete
  10. I make my own coffee and like it best. I can make the sweet fancy ones too, at home, using canned milk or even fresh milk. if I have it, steamed to froth, or in a jar that I shake wildly, then mixed into strong coffee, I brew, one cup at a time. I mix in vanilla extract or rum extract or peppermint. So that is the route I go. I used to get convenience store flavored coffee and cappuccino, (comes out in a powder into a foam cup, mixed with hot water) but they have it now syrupy sweet and makes me gag. As for Mac D, I abstain. Too expensive! And tastes like rubber to me. I can't think I would electronically order, even if I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, none of which you describe sound like proper coffee. McD is quite cheap here. I liked some of the other US and Canadian chains.

      Delete
  11. It's been so long since I last had McDonald's, I didn't even realise there is now an electronic self serve menu??!!

    Here is something positive about McDonald's... when I was younger and travelling on family holidays, McDonald's was always the safer food option. At least you could be fairly sure of the consistency of Macca's (which is very often not the case with, for example, country town chinese restaurants).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I am not sure that all stores have the electronic menu. Yes, in Australia they are quite consistent, although the Broken Hill one was a bit different in that it had cereal and toast for breakfast, very welcome after we tired of expensive full breakfasts in cafes. McDonalds in Japan is rather different.

      Delete