Thursday, December 31, 2015

Life at the end of 2015

Take two. I wrote a long post about what we have been doing and then I hit a key on the keyboard that deleted the post. Naturally this rewritten one is not nearly as good.

Mid December was our Indian Friend's birthday. We celebrated at a Turkish restaurant in Brighton Road, Elwood. While the staff were terrific and we had been there before twice, there was something lacking about the food. Maybe poor choices on our part. Of course I had to have Turkish coffee but I didn't like it much. It was too sweet. I was a late arrival, having come straight from work.


We lived nearby in 1980 and I remember the long gone hardware store. Cable Tram Wines and Spirits lasted much longer but is now a Coles owned Vintage Cellars liquor shop.


A few days later it was a barbeque to celebrate his birthday again at his home. Some long time acquaintances were in attendance and it was a good evening. I was a late arrival, having come straight from work.

R as per normal took Mother out the week before Christmas on the usual Thursday and she realised that R would not be taking her out on Christmas Eve. She planted in his head as a parting shot that he should take her out on the Tuesday before Christmas. Sure enough, on the Monday she rang to check if R was taking her her out the next day. R succumbed. I was at work. Mother is a master at manipulation.

R moaned that we do nothing, not even go into town to see the Christmas decorations. I finished work a bit late but nevertheless I organised us to go into town to see the lights. We dined at a Chinese restaurant and then saw the lights. It was very busy near the Town Hall and the  photo of the projections is not great. Country Mum did a much better job.



Two days before Christmas Non Dreaded Nephew's partner dropped in to leave the Kris Kringle gift. She brought some personal gifts for us; beer samplers and her mother's home produced apple cider.

Christmas Day arrived and I was working and could not go to the family Christmas dinner, lunch. R did and apparently a good time was had. This year it was hosted by ABI Brother who did a fine organisational job. Mother kept nagging that he was not up to it and hinting that we should do it. No, R is too old now and I was at work. The photo is Tradie Brother's idea of Christmas decoration.


Boxing Day arrived and finally I had a day off. We went grocery shopping and Prahran was delightfully quiet. Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo arrived late in the day and R cooked a wonderful barbeque.  We played a board game of Family Feud and that was great fun. It was an early night. Next day Sister and Bone Doctor had to be up early to breakfast at the MCG Members area and then watch the cricket Test Match. Sister had to wear a dress and Bone Doctor was in kind of a suit. Bone Doctor was challenged  by staff for entering an area without a tie and she had to tell staff she was not a boy. I really don't know how they go to the Members beyond Bone Doctor using her father's membership ticket. I was at work but R entertained Little Jo with a visit to the Myer Christmas windows and Federation Square, along with some drawing, games, a swim, a bath, art work and some time spent at MY computer by Little Jo. I have noticed she now takes a break from the computer unasked.

Christmas Sunday and I was back at work and I was a late arrival at the Brother Friend's annual Christmas bash. It used to be Christmas night but we could hardly eat much after Christmas dinner. It was changed to Boxing Day and that was better, but this year Boxing Day suited no one, so the day after it was to be. They were given notice at their Canterbury apartment and are now renting in a very posh Mont Albert North retirement complex. It is a wonderful place, especially nice to die in, but I would rather live in a one bedroom flat in the inner city. It was a nice evening and the Brother Friends' wine trifle was to die for.

Monday and Tuesday are my post Christmas day's off. There is a tale to tell about these days.

Oh yes, Happy New Year everyone.

28 comments:

  1. Andrew, despite you have worked at Christmas you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a busy month December was for you. Enjoy your New Year celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy enough Carol. Happy new year to you.

      Delete
  3. Happy and healthy new year to you and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I haven't heard this for a while but I did hear it recently, right back at you.

      Delete
  4. Goodness you were busy.
    A very happy New Year to you.
    Are you going to see it in, or let it find its own way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am working both NYE and New Year's Day, so it will be a quiet one for me.

      Delete
  5. I take my Christmas hat off to you for working so much over the holiday. I hope your employers were appreciative. I see from above comment that you are working over NY as well. Doesn't seem fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun60, they were appreciative in a financial sense but nothing more than I was due. They don't care about fairness.

      Delete
  6. Gosh, you're a buzzy little bee, buzz here, buzz there, work in between, do you ever stop to catch a breath? Hopefully, future Christmases will be more low-key, maybe you won't have to work....
    I'm sure you enjoy it all, but I got tired just reading this.
    I do hope that 2016 is a really fabulous year for you and all your family.
    I like Tradie Brother's decorating idea, that's the sort of thing I used to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think I will take some leave next year. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. I love Turkish-Lebanese-Israeli-Greek food, especially since meat eating is not at all required. But absolutely the best bit of all is the Turkish coffee and lokum (small Turkish delights).

    Be warned however. When in a Greek restaurant we automatically requested Turkish coffee and lokum, and there was sudden silence everywhere. The waiter shuffled around and suggested that next time, we request Greek coffee in a Greek restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, that is funny about the Greek coffee. You might have been in big trouble if they were Greek Cypriots.

      Delete
  8. Happy new year to you and yours Andrew.
    Busy Christmas's are always the best.
    Merle.......................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merle. To you too.

      Delete
  9. You're such a teller of tales. Your life seems broadly exciting with quirky interesting people. Ho ho ho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it probably sounds more interesting than it really is.

      Delete
  10. Seems as if you had lots of fun.
    Your days off to come!
    Happy New Year to you and R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes Sunday and Monday. I am looking forward to them.

      Delete
  11. Good health and fortune to yourself and R for 2016 Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Craig. To you and Clive too.

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year to you Andrew. Likewise I am stuck in front of a computer at work for NYE....someone's gotta keep the country running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allan, I don't care so much about working NYE now, but I certainly used to. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. You work way too hard Andrew!! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ad Rad, but what can I do. Happy NY to you and Nathan.

      Delete
  14. Happy New Year to both of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fen. Your year is going to be interesting.

      Delete