Friday, November 06, 2015

Wet Feet

I saw the doctor yesterday. Because I had mentioned shortness of breath and a lack of energy, he suggested I get a chest xray. He gave me two options, Victoria House, a short walk away, at a cost of $100 or a xray place in Balaclava where it would be bulk billed to Medicare. Guess which I chose. I could have gone straight to have the xray by catching the tram down Chapel Street. Instead, and as there was a bus coming, I decided to go home and attend for the xray in the afternoon. I noticed some rather heavy looking rain on the rain radar. I should make it there before the rain arrives. I almost, with the rain just beginning as I stepped off the tram.

Fifteen minutes later, after my xray, it was still raining quite heavily as I stepped out onto Carlisle Street and starting to walk, I found myself trapped. Clearly there had been some very heavy rain while I was receiving my dose of radiation.





I could not proceed along the footpath and nor could I cross the road without getting my feet wet. I thought it would quickly drain away, but ten minutes later, it had not. I walked back further and where the water in the gutter was a little narrower, I jumped as far as I could out onto the road and then crossed. I didn't feel water enter my shoes. 

I walked along a bit on the north side but as I went further west, it was again over the footpath just not as badly. Shop keepers were busily sweeping water out from their shops. I wanted to cross to the other side to a coffee shop at the pedestrian crossing but still I would have to get one foot in flowing stream in the gutter. This time a little water did get into one shoe and today the shoe is creaking a bit when I walk. Hopefully it will cure itself with wear. By the time I made it to the other side, I was suddenly over having coffee and decided to go home. I peered up Carlisle Street and not a tram in sight.

Quite a number of people seemed to waiting for either a 16 or 3. I began to walk to Brighton Road and once there, a 67 soon arrived to take me home. I don't understand why other people just wait and not do what I did. 

Sadly, home is a good place to be when there is significant weather activity occurs and I missed it.

20 comments:

  1. Andrew I hope your x-ray it is going to be correct. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, my doctor was supposed to call me today with a result. As he did not, I can only conclude I am not in immediate zone of death.

      Delete
  2. We got buckets of rain here yesterday too. Fortunately in the evening, when I could hunker down inside and ignore it.
    How are you feeling? And when do you get the results? Echoing Gosia. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, was supposed to be today, but fingers crossed, I am sure my lungs are ok.

      Delete
  3. You see your mistake, right? Should have gone straight away for the x ray.
    I remember slogging home from work one day in heavy rain, we'd been working overtime and it was dark already with a thunderstorm going on. The gutters and intersections were inches deep, by the time I got home I was wet up to the knees and my sneakers took a week to dry out. That was the same day a lightning bolt hit the road right by me and I could smell the ozone, yet I wasn't afraid at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes River. No one is more self critical than me. Smell of ozone next to a lightning strike? New one to me. Must investigate.

      Delete
  4. Well gosh, I forgot to ask how you are. X ray show anything unusual?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No result yet. My lung genes are good but my paternal cancer genes are not so good.

      Delete
  5. The rain was amazing, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame we didn't get much in the way of thunder where I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, it was fun. Over too quickly and while the rain was dramatic, little thunder or lightning.

      Delete
  6. Fingers crossed that no news is good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, clearly contacting me can wait until next week. Good sign.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure you xray will tell the tale of you being alright. As well know, if something was dreadfully wrong, the Dr. phones.

    We had a mighty downpour this afternoon, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it must be dry there too. As is said, of droughts and flooding rains.

      Delete
  8. Hopefully not hearing is a positive sign Andrew.. and now you've got soggy feet.. What's that expression 'it never rains but it pours' 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, t'was a nice drop or two we had after an extended period of little rain, as you too have experienced.

      Delete
  9. When we get a deluge here, it is easier to just take your shoes off and walk through the puddles. Rain is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, well you are used to such downpours. They are a bit alien to us and I was not well prepared. To take off my shoes and walk barefoot in water? So distasteful.

      Delete
  10. If you would live here lack of energy and breath shortness would be due to autumn weather ! (That's what I have just now)
    Maybe you should take boots with you next time just in case ;)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I don't have boots. We normally have no need to worry about rain. Well, we worry about the lack of it.

      Delete