Friday, November 06, 2015

The brothers Flanders and Wallonia

I was searching for a fact about Austria (no kangaroos in Austria) and I came across a series of You Tube video called Geography Now. I watched one about Austria and then one about Belgium.

What do you know about Belgium? Chocolate? European Union headquarters? Battle of Waterloo? Hercules Poirot? Tintin? Flanders poppies? Of course I know a little more than average because I read Gattina's blog, but what about its political geography? Gattina complains about the cost of government and after watching this video, I can see why. Don't expect to absorb or understand all of this as I can tell you, you won't, but it is quite fascinating. Video is about 11 minutes long. These Geography Now pieces are quite enjoyable and I will be watching more of them.


14 comments:

  1. Andrew interesting video . Thanks for sharing and I would like to show it my students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I think they might be a really good teaching aid.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating; I'm going to enjoy looking out the rest of them, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jac, unfortunately the series is only up to C. It will be a long wait until we get to U for your to read. Of course Australia is already there and I learnt a couple of things about my own country I did not know.

      Delete
  3. Amazing what you learn, here
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, there will be a test tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed that video... it did teach me many things.
    Hope your cold is much improved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, back to work tomorrow, so I guess I am ok.

      Delete
  5. 11 minutes? sorry. Not until I find an unlimited download plan I can afford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you must look harder. You are the reason I really note down the length as I know you don't have a large download limit.

      Delete
  6. Hahaha ! that's great, there is only one region missing ! Besides the French and the Flemish there is also the German part (Eupen/Malmedy) so in a country of 11 millions inhabitants we should speak 3 languages and all papers should be in 3 too ! Now wonder that we need over 50 ministers, each region needs its own ! A part from that, the people are going all well together, all this is only political and costs a lot of money ! Still, it's good living here !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I made my comment too early ! The German part IS mentioned !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I had no idea of the complexity of your country.

      Delete