Sunday, November 29, 2015

Sunday Selections

A P&O ship departs one evening. The photo turned out better than I thought it would.


Unless a bird accidentally drop laid a few eggs on the rooftop of the building next door, then someone in our building has been throwing eggs at the satellite dish. Guess party. Guess alcohol.


This is only a scale model of our iconic Flinders Street Station, set up as part of the Myer Christmas Window animated display.


The large telecommunications company Telstra is taking a very long time to renovate its huge shop. It has been closed for months, but this muriel adds something to the blankness of the wall.


The connection between a sheep and a chemist? Ewe tell me and we will both know.


While at times we would like to replace our lounge room furniture, we can never find a square coffee table as practical as this one. On the far side it is the same, a shelf and a drawer.


On this side is this stuffs.


And on the far window side is this stuffs. Well, can you imagine my surprise when I went to find a photo dvd and things has been reversed. DVDs and stuffs were on the window side and the burner stuffs were on the inside side. I was confused. Had the drawers been changed over or the whole unit turned around? Household Management was out but I later sought an explanation. A couple of days later actually as I forgot about it until the next time I opened the drawer. It seems the blank side that faces the chairs had a mark, so he turned the unit around and the mark now faces the tv, unseen by most.


Walking candy canes.


I think this would be sandstone, widely used in other Australian capital cities but not in Melbourne. We mostly use bluestone, a nice dark grey which suits the character of our city, a city where many people wear black. Go on, call us Bleak City if you will. We like it that way.


I thought one of these cars was my lift home, but they went straight past me.


I think these are all Asian students lining one of the walkways to the QV shopping centre. They look set to be there overnight or had been their overnight. Why?


AFL football grand final eve. We were in town with Little Jo. At Fed Square we saw this live tv broadcast happening. The red head is a high flyer in Geelong town and in media, Cameron Ling,  someone who I would be instantly prepared to dislike, but he seems like a really nice bloke. They were also up on the large Fed Square screen.



Mother is down to feeding three stray cats, thank god. I hope they are non breeding. While feeding stray cats was my late step father's thing, Mother kept them on in his memory and it was very problematic at times. Mother has rejected the one cat that really wanted to be an indoors cat and tried every which way to become a pet, to no avail. The cats are spoilt with top quality cat food and cat milk, twice daily. Mother says it is the reason she gets out of bed. I bet Strayer has heard all that before. The cats have become tamer as time has gone on. There was a time when if any strange person visited, they would all run to under the house and I could never have taken this photo.


Over the past few years I have tried to understand the internet currency Bitcoin. It is not backed up by a real currency. It has no value at any bank, yet can be spent. Your computer can generate Bitcoin, so make yourself rich in a rather odd currency. Please don't try to explain it to me. Like soccer's off side rule and golf scoring, I just don't want to know.


North Road Beach was a place of my childhood, but the beach has gone. It is now car parking, a beach wall and a restaurant/cafe. We were in the middle of a pleasant brunch and then had to quickly move to sheltered outdoor seating when a shower of rain arrived.


It is a nice spot. The cafe is a little on the expensive side, but we are in the posh area of Brighton. The staff were good.


Tea tree, tortured and twisted by wind, except it is not in a very windy spot. Learned behaviour, my friends.

26 comments:

  1. andrew, the moist interesting for me is a tea tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I must have been impressed by the tea tree to take the photo.

      Delete
  2. I do love travelling your city with you. Thank you.
    I love your Household Management's attention to detail. And would also love to see it replicated here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many loves in that comment. I seem to be in emphatic mode.

      Delete
    2. EC, I don't mind lots of love.

      Delete
  3. Walking candy canes well I never I wonder do they taste good.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, can't see enough of who is inside to see if they are edible. The canes were later put in the City Square Christmas display.

      Delete
  4. My mother says similar things about why she wakes up each morning. I find it all a bit distressing. She inherited two yap dogs from someone she hardly knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Sunday Selection BTW

      Delete
    2. Carol, don't mothers do it for effect so we worry more about them?

      Delete
  5. Nice mural on the Telstra wall, doesn't compensate for the too often poor service though.
    Connection between a sheep and a Chemist? Hmmm..... lanolin cream? lanolin oil?
    I love your coffee table, but not the legs, I prefer solid wooden legs. Mine is rectangular, very solid and heavy. And quite badly marked on all sides so it doesn't matter which way I turn it *~*.
    Perhaps the area where the tea tree is twisted was windy before buildings went up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, brilliant. Yes, the tea tree was on the leeward side of the building and would have been exposed to the wind much more in the past.

      Delete
  6. I love that coffee table! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, it looks like it will be staying where it is for many years.

      Delete
  7. The tea tree looks as if its been pushed over partly by an elephant, then decided to stay bent, liking the bent life better. Your mom's cat issues are common here. If only she could have had them fixed, and if tame, let them be house cats or found them a home. Our brick buildings are mostly dark red brick and cold feeling and looking, makes me feel damp and shivery in their midst. That disk would be hard to resist, looks like a cupped target from above, add alcohol and it might seem like a splendid game. Now what to toss, to see who can hit it. Ah, eggs! Good to make a mark or put little tape or string traps to see if someone's been inside, while you are out. Personally I like to booby trap, with startling but not harmful results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, the three remaining are a reasonable age now and perhaps past breeding. A few were trapped by local council officers and it was a quite distressing experience for her and of course the cats. The old bucket of water falling when the door is opened?

      Delete
  8. How nice that your mother takes care of street cats ! The walking candies look funny. In Brussels it's almost back to normal, the only fancy view is the military in the street, but they don't disturb and are nice photo targets for tourists. I leave on Monday for Egypt ! I badly need some sunshine and warmth !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I am sure you do need some warmth and escape from the weirdness of what is happening in your country.

      Delete
  9. Nice selection and variety..
    Takes some getting used to when people change things around in the house..
    Why do many people in Melbourne wear black! Visiting on business years ago, everyone wore black but it was winter....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, wearing black is all about artistic pretensions. I wear black because I like black and it suits me.

      Delete
    2. Artistic pretensions??
      Hah! They wear black because everything matches and they can just get dressed without wondering if this colour will go with that colour etc. The only colour is where it won't matter, (because everything goes with black) in a shirt or blouse and of course the tie.

      Delete
    3. River, black does go with everything. Perhaps we are not so artistic, just lazy.

      Delete
  10. What is the connection between a sheep and a chemist?

    The shearer shears the sheep and the chemist shears the customer. I paid $32 for a lipstick today that not long ago was priced up at $12.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one Hels. That seems a lot for a lipstick, but what would I know.

      Delete
  11. I admit I'm not very computer knowledgeable but I'd never heard of Bitcoin.. so I Googled it, as you do, and I'm none the wiser! I'm still feeding my two little ferals, one is ready to move in the other is seriously thinking about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you can become a cat lady when you are old and alone.

      Delete