Sunday, November 01, 2015

Sunday Selections

The southern end of St Kilda Road, Melbourne.

The Consulate General of the United States premises in St Kilda Road is guarded by our federal police. Immediately after 9/11, the beds under the flowering trees were a mass of wreaths spreading out onto the paving.


The Australian way to save historic buildings, that is build something really tall and ugly behind them.


Yve has had issues, like 7 million  dollars worth, which is what the developer of the building is paying to have balcony problems rectified. This has been going on for years now, scaffolding goes up, comes down and goes up again. The landscaping has been ruined and will have to be redone. It is said that Australian tennis player Leighton Hewitt lives there.



The old property on Queens Road has a development built on its land but I feel it is much better done that the above example.


The back of Yve in Queens Lane.


Yes, the building behind does not quite dominate the old building.


Wisteria across Queens Road at Albert Park Lake.



Still in Queens Road, a horrid but useful traffic sewer, is this older apartment block with the Scottish sounding name Kinross.



People taking drinks outside on a nice sunny day at the venue, The Park.


I know this building from its earlier times as an ambulance driver training school, complete with a swimming pool. Perhaps the pool was for drowning resuscitation practice. Each student is almost drowned and is then brought back to life. Ambos, as we used to call them, prefer to be called paramedics now. It was converted to accommodation for single men who shall we say, are down on their luck with magnitudes of issues.


A little further along Queens Road this curious garden feature is in front of an apartment building. I suppose I like it. It's different at least.



Next door is the Indonesian Consulate General.


I forget which massacre the Indonesian army committed in East Timor, but in the protests that followed, many small white crosses were hammered into this grass land across the road from the Consulate. It was a very effective statement, I thought, and seen by thousands of passing motorists each day.


This land being used as a car park would certainly not be returning the maximum amount of dollars to the owner and I expect it will be demolished in the near future for..........guess what? Apartments.


On to Windsor and I have never noticed this old chimney before. I must investigate but I think it was probably to do with the old Red Tulip chocolate factory.


22 comments:

  1. I always enjoy wandering with you.
    I had never considered before that we 'save' buildings by building monoliths behind them.
    7 million to fix balcony issues? Sounds like an epic fail to me. I like the curved lines though.
    And that peculiar garden. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, Yve is an interesting building and not very old. I am not sure how things could go so wrong so soon in its life. At least the developer is paying and not the residents, which so often happens.

      Delete
  2. Could you be speaking of the Australian journalists in East Timor in the 70s? The concrete poles in that garden look like a science experiment for concrete cancer. Fascinating facts about Melbourne. If I ever visit again Andrew, I will be looking at Melbourne with different eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I think it was the Dilli cemetery massacre, Santa Cruz, in the early nineties. Concrete cancer is a good description.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't stop laughing at your explanation for the protection of your heritage buildings. Have a good week Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, there only a few such houses still in St Kilda Road. It was once lined with them and even grander mansions. It seems like there will be no more demolition, but towers being built behind or old buildings incorporated into new.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh...I saw that same 'rock' garden along Queens Road just the other week. I think it's by an Australian artist (I've seen smaller scale works in galleries). He plants concrete blocks with native orchids and other lithophytes (plants that grow on rocks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, an artist no less. I thought it was an interesting attempt at something. Perhaps as it matures it will come into its own.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, another interesting walk in your paradise. I love your palm trees. The consulate of US is also guarded by Police

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we have a lot of palm trees in Melbourne, but they don't really belong here.

      Delete
  6. Nobody likes a tall *and* ugly building! ;) They can have tall or ugly but not both at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice point, Snoskred. Concrete brutalism has had its day and I am surprise to see it reappear in this building.

      Delete
  7. I think the Yve apartment building looks very nice, much nicer than a big square block for sure.
    The curious garden feature will look nicer as the greenery grows to cover those concrete pieces.
    The carparks that you think will become apartments, I hope they have enough carpark spaces kept for the tenants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think you are right about the garden feature. I don't think it is very old as I would have noticed it before. Car parking mostly goes under buildings now.

      Delete
  8. Weird and wonderful it seems. Such a pity these tall buildings cover the older heritage buildings, but that's progress..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes, it is better that they are saved.

      Delete
  9. We have a few 'saved' historic buildings with tall glass monsters growing behind them too Andrew, at least there's a touch of the past left behind oui! Your curious garden looks like it would be pretty easy on water, unlike mine, guess who just got their excess water bill :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, as I have seen a number of times when featured by you. Somehow yours look better done.

      Delete
  10. I am away for the Longggg Weekend. I will have a good look a your original buildings on a larger screen, back at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So where are you Hels?

      Delete
  11. What on earth is wrong with the balconies?
    I used to park in that carpark many moons ago when I was working somewhere down there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just guessing Fen, but a couple of balconies here have drainage level problems and water enters the apartment below.

      Delete