Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Racing and no room at the inn

Trams had stopped passing through the middle of the city for a parade to promote the next day's Melbourne Cup. I came in from the north and R came in from the south and we met up for lunch. R saw some of the parade as he walked from the Arts Centre to QV shopping centre, including the car containing the Lord Mayor broken down. Later I took this photo as it was being loaded onto a tow truck. I wanted to go to Port Melbourne to witness a memorable moment but how when the trams weren't travelling through the city? I thought the 109 would be stopping in Collins Street somewhere. We had worked our way down from QV to Collins Street, buying chocolates as a gift and filling my wallet with money from electric bank to have coffee near Collins Street. I used my phone, only to learn the 109 had been re-routed along Latrobe Street. I didn't want to walk all the way back up the hill, so R headed towards home and I caught the train from Flinders Street to So Cross Station where I then caught the 109 tram to Port Melbourne.


I have never known this to happen before, all Station Pier berths are full. Normally the cruise ships arrive and depart on the same day but these are staying on for a couple of nights so that passengers can attend the Melbourne Cup horse race or at least join in with the festivities, atmosphere and fun. It seems as if it was chaos at Station Pier as all three ships arrived within a short time of each other and thousands of passengers left the ships. There was another cruise ship, Pacific Dawn, which also arrived and had to berth at Victoria Dock, not a very nice area for cruise ship passengers.

Spirit of Australia Tasmania ferry at Station Pier, inner east berth, with Carnival Spirit at outer east.


Inner west, Pacific Pearl and outer west, Pacific Jewel.


Children artwork nearby.

20 comments:

  1. ANDREW.what a great and comfortable ferry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, only one is a ferry, the other three are big cruise ships.

      Delete
  2. Always some excitement when multiple cruise ships are in town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, and you can just sit in your eyrie and watch them come and go.

      Delete
    2. I never tire of doing so, Andrew.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a boat person, even big ferries are not good for me., ok if still tied up at the dock.
    I surpose your city would be crowded about now,
    Funny your lord mayors car broke down, hope he runs the city better.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, my city always feels crowded. Welcome to an over populated Australia.

      Delete
    2. That would be over-populated East coast. We're fine here in SA.

      Delete
  4. The racing season does have rather a lot of fans. Many with money.
    I can remember reading somewhere a delightful story (and I hope it was true) about Rolls Royce. Apparently if they broke down they had to be moved in a covered van rather than on a trailer, so the 'image' was not harmed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I wonder if that is an urban myth. My step mother told me a story of someone who cut his RR down into a ute and that was against RR policy and they confiscated the cut down car. I have also heard that trams that have been severely damaged in an accident are covered with tarps before they are transport on the back of a truck. I've yet to see a photo of any of these.

      Delete
  5. When my brothers and I were young, mum and dad often took us down to Port Melbourne to look at the docks and the ships. It was a wonderful experience then and still is now.

    Pacific Pearl and Pacific Jewel look fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Hels, Station Pier must have been different then. Prince's Pier would have been still in operation? Did your folks arrive to Melbourne via Station Pier?

      Delete
  6. I really really don't like boats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh those cruise ships are big!
    I recently discovered a friend of mine lives close enough to the port to watch the cruise ships as they sail towards and when they leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Melbourne River? They must be wealthy or housing commission tenants.

      Delete
    2. No, here in Adelaide.

      Delete
    3. Ah yes, who you just wrote about today.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like chaotic fun during Melbourne Cup time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it's a good atmosphere on the day. Can be a bit messy afterwards though, the people at least.

      Delete