Monday, November 30, 2015

Musical Monday

Playing a piano is not like riding a bicycle. You do forget how to play a piano, as I have and as Mother has and she was much better than I was ever. I am not really sure about riding a bicycle either. I am very wobbly now astride a bike. It was a few years now since I rode a bike for the first time after many years and I nearly fell into Albert Park Lake. I blamed the Grand Pricks infrastructure.

The hardest song I learnt to play was 'On the Street Where You Live', from My Fair Lady. It is a much recorded song by many. The older Placido Domingo made a pretty good job of singing it, with a full orchestra behind him. I did not have the benefit of an orchestra behind me when I played it on the piano, nor a good singing voice, but I still sang along at times.

So because it was only a piano piece for me, that is how I want it in a clip and I rather like this cute version from the at times not so cute English tv show, Skins. It is quite like how I used to play it and it truly is a lovely song. Don't forget to check River's Musical Monday.



12 comments:

  1. It is nice - and a v cute clip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, really sweet, I thought.

      Delete
  2. Andrew I ride a bike very well but I can't play a piano. But my grandma
    could not play the bike. One day I described it on my blog oit was a funny situation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, in spite of reading your blog from the beginning, I can't remember the story. Maybe it was when we were on holidays.

      Delete
  3. nothing as uplifting as a great song.
    [goes off singing 'I could have danced all night' from the same show and here are The Credits: based on George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion, with book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, yes Lerner and Loowe. Great team. It maybe be my favourite shower song.

      Delete
  4. Never was wrapped in that song, no matter who sang it/or who sings it.
    Still can play the piano, but of course need more practice but don't seem to bother. I have a piano here at home.
    Still can ride a bike at my 'age', was on it the other day down the drive, of course more riding gives confidence. The only thing I can't do is sing anymore. For me I need to practices hours every single day, well near enough, but I've lost it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, has the pavement never shifted beneath your feet before. It is such a romantic song. Wobbling down the drive on the bike does not count. At least you recognise your failing singing ability. Most of us don't, if we ever had it in the first place.

      Delete
  5. That's really nice, simple and easy to understand too. I'm not sure if I ever heard the song before, maybe when I was very young on a TV show, certainly never on radio. I like it.
    I always wanted to play piano, but there was never an opportunity and it's probably like typing, the fingers don't go where I want them to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, it is from the musical My Fair Lady. I am sure you would have heard it. Maybe not so much typing, but I really don't think many people can learn to play a piano in there older years, although I had a great uncle who learnt the violin when he was over 60. You make less typing mistakes than anyone whose blog I read.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the video Andrew, he's grown into a very handsome young man since the movie 'About a Boy'. Maybe if you take a few lessons the piano playing will come flooding back. I have an image of friends gathered around the piano while you tinkle the keyboards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, our piano was a pianola and there were certainly evenings in the late eighties where people or family gathered around and sang as I peddled. I had forgotten about that. I wonder if the nephew or nieces remember. I never researched the lad in the video, but you can be sure I now will.

      Delete