Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Merri Creek walk 2

Normally on a day off I am not ready to go out until about 11 but today was the exception. I was to later meet R in town for lunch, so I thought I better make an effort. It was a good service on the Upfield line with trains four minutes apart. I had to travel to Batman Station but the 9.20 limited express did not stop there, but it did stop one station before. I decided to catch the express train because I thought it might go fast and I like going fast in trains. By golly it did go fast. I did not get my phone out to check but it must have been travelling at 80 km/h through the inner northern suburbs. If I was an excitable sort of person I might have jumped up and down on the spot in glee. Instead I sat pondering how much better train travel would be if trains went faster. By the time I arrived at Coburg Station, it was a 6 minute wait for the train on to Batman. I assisted a foreign type with directions, even though I did not have a clue about where I was.


I guess this is Coburg Station.


There was a large graffiti and tagged covered muriel (:-P)  and I decided to focus on these two characters within the muriel.


A retirement project for me is to visit and identify every chimbley like this in Melbourne. There are quite a number of them.


Now, where am I?Ah yes, the beginning of the second walk in Carr Street, North Coburg. There are some nice houses here.




I quite like this style of house from the 50s or early 60s. They were usually well built and spacious.


Another bridge.


A nice little observation platform.


Looking down here.


Swans mate for life, but have affairs behind each other's backs, according to genetic testing. Never mind, it still looks like a happy family unit.



Why wasn't I told about the lovely Coburg Lake, an ideal place for a picnic and look, large exotic trees, so seldom seen on this side of town.


A bit of an amphitheatre.


A tribute to Middle Eastern people in the area who do good works.


Oh look, the disused Pentridge Prison.


I had no idea I would come across this.


At the far end of the lake is a spillway down to the creek bed below.



A marvellous bluestone bridge with Newlands Road running along the bridge. The western part of Victoria has abundant hard basalt rock, formed from solidified volcanic lava flows, which we refer to as bluestone.


I could not read this but with a camera zoom, it partly says, Newlands Bridge, erected by Penal Department, August 1855.


Wasted land where so many apartments and houses could be built. Where is a developer when one is needed?


At times the creek widens and at times it narrows.


Another bluestone bridge. Not quite sure which road travels over this bridge.


I like the two eyed drain in this photo.


It could be an FB General Motors Holden but more likely an EK, made around 1962.


Rather good condition. Why don't cars have venetian blinds anymore?


This bridge was very unstable and the recently installed barriers are I guess to slow cyclists down. It is scheduled for replacement.


I am over googling to find out who Alan 'Flash' Flanders is.


Isn't that just the sweetest thing to come across.


I am being radiated by the electricical. The high voltage wires generally follow the path of the valley.


A vegetable garden. What a surprise.


That may well be Joe in the far left of the photo.


That is an impressive bridge. I crossed it.


I guess this is the rear of the Islamic Museum. Coffee might have been nice but I don't know that it was open.


The rear of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade workshops and store.


The weather was turning bleak after a warm start to the day. The very light rain was becoming heavier and once I reached Moreland Road, I trudged up the hill to catch the tram back to town.

22 comments:

  1. Lots of your walk looks truly delightful. The bridges and the water particularly.
    Fond of that chimbley too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, pleased that I am making the effort. It is good for the soul.

      Delete
  2. I love black swans amazing. The graffiti is nice and I love the man with a huge nose so funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, like white swans are a novelty for us, so are black swans to you.

      Delete
  3. Great walk Andrew. Interested by that bridge that I assume was built by the prisoners. Good to see a different area outside Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I should think so, free labour and all. The next legs will be very inner suburbs, yet they may not be apparent. We shall see.

      Delete
  4. That was an interesting trudge. those bridges are unique and mystical, in a way. So swans step out on each other, too. I can't say I'm surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, and the bridges are still as strong as they ever were, by the look of them.

      Delete
  5. Ha Ha, Muriels and chimbleys, nice to see your sense of humor showing.
    I like 50s and 60s houses too, the rooms were all so spacious in them, not like now where a kid's bedroom has room for the bed and maybe a chair and nothing else, probably not even the kid. houses these days all seem to be built for "entertaining" with huge lounge and family rooms, fancy kitchens and tiny shoebox bedrooms.
    Why is Pentridge disused? Not enough criminals? fill it with Pollies....(*!*)
    Love the bluestone bridges. How far did you walk? You're putting my beach wanders to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly River, a lot of modern apartments have small living areas as well, or to the other extreme, huge living areas. Our is just a nice size for us. Pentridge was a pretty inhumane place and so was closed some time ago. Some of it will be kept and the rest turned into????????????? Apartments. I guess that day was about 5km of walking plus I walked a bit in town afterwards. My pace is about 4km/h so I am not walking fast. Well, I couldn't. Plenty of pauses for photos helps too.

      Delete
  6. That was a nice walk you took us on. I liked the green spaces, trees, creeks and bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie was great to especially show the house that I grew up in in London. I see you were surprised. I could see where she was heading so I sent her an email and told her about Eagle House South Woodford. Isn't blogging fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding Diane. Although only a couple of days ago, I had already forgotten. Rather a posh area, methinks, but things were different back then. That Marie went to the effort, well she was just passing by, is the good of blogging. The bad is that your brain gets overloaded and you forget things, as I did about you growing up there. I am now going back to the post to see where you lived and firmly implant it in my brain.

      Delete
  8. There is some fabulous graff along the Upfield line.
    My Aunt lives in Coburg, I love the houses in that suburb. She renovated hers over a few years, it's really quite nice.
    I used to *ahem* visit a lad who lived in the apartments in the Pentridge complex, they're not bad at all. I like that they've kept a lot of the original bits and bobs from the prison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, there is some great graffiti and a lot of horrible tagging. Your aunt must be an original modern inhabitant. Cool. I really don't understand Pentridge. I know there are apartments there but there must be a large area that is still vacant. Now't wrong with visiting a lad.

      Delete
  9. The 7th and 9th photos could well have been taken around here; very like many of the homes hereabouts.

    Sorry not been around much; will do more when I'm able. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Jac. I don't know what the modern American house might be like, but from tv I have an idea of the sixties houses. No pressure. Get yourself well. Dogs know when there mistress is unwell. Seek their solace.

      Delete
  10. I was looking to comment but the comment 'box' hadn't loaded!
    I enjoyed your tour - fast trains, the faster the better, maybe one day Melbourne will have bullet rides.
    I remember the venetian blinds in cars - long ago, long ago.
    Interesting about the swan, I didn't know they cheat...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I had that same problem yesterday. I think that about swans may have been discovered here in Melbourne. They started gene testing cygnets and the results were very surprising to them.

      Delete
  11. Love going on these walks with you Andrew, you don't want your train to go toooo fast, there won't be time to enjoy the ride :) There was one of your bridge pics that made my time lurch a little, were you hanging over the edge to take that one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true about the train, Grace. While heights don't really worry me, I am very cautious. Safety first, always.

      Delete
  12. Spammer, your comment lasted about two minutes before I disappeared it. Why don't you write properly when you spam?

    ReplyDelete