Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Merri Creek walk 1

I set off on the Upfield train to Gowrie Station. As there was going to be significant walking, I needed to save my feet by catching the 530 bus to begin the walk. A planning fail, I had no idea where the bus stop was, but using my phone with maps and transport apps, I found it, and of course it then seemed so obvious. I was surprised how busy the 530 bus was, with people on and off at almost every stop. It is only a 30 minute service, but I think there may be a good argument to make it a 15 minute service. The photo is looking towards Sydney Road.


The bus ran along Jukes Road and then north to Anderson Street where I left the bus. This part I had planned, how to get to the beginning of the Merri Creek Trail, near Mahoneys Road. On one side of the road, a well maintained modest house.


On the other side, not such a well maintained house. Why do people north or west of the city hate trees? If this was my side of town, you might not be able to see the houses because of trees.


Just a vacant block of land among the houses was the pathway to the Merri Creek Trail.


The path led to a expanse of open grassland. A couple of people were there with their dogs. I began the walk and it wasn't long before I came across this, so disappointing and unnecessary.


At this point I did not understand the path. It is not one path or trail. There are high paths, low paths, and paths on the opposite side of the bank. I want to be down there, next to the creek, but how?


You can possibly ride a bike all the way along the trail by using the shared pedestrian and bicycle paved path.


Steps!!! Down to the creek. Some time into the walk, I really needed to see the creek. It was quite warm, about 25 degrees and the sun was beating down on me.


Stormwater drains pour into Merri Creek, so it can quickly flood.


No idea what this thing is about.


And there are more of them. They may well be called Moomba Rocks.


Water at last. It really is a modest creek at this point.


Some rocks. Fascinating, no?


A lonely picnic table. Not so easy to get to if you and are kind of normal and drive to a park for a picnic.


Sheaoks.


Why do people damage things like this? What pleasure do they get from it?


Burning and glass. I think a car may have been destroyed here.


Another area that looks like it was burnt when a car was set on fire.


At this northern end of the creek there has been so much planting of I assume native species. Planting here would be easy. Some of the planting along the the sides of the creek bed must have been very hard work.


One of many pedestrian and cycling bridges over the creek. I went under this one.


A little more vandalism.


It is a lazy little creek at this point, only being really motivated when it must travel over some stones or rocks.


Willow trees along side a creek look wonderful, but they are a pest species in Australia.


Lots of signs advising people of alternative routes if the paths are flooded. This was quite consistent and well done, I thought.


Another pest species, these cactus.


I believe this is St Basil's Homes for Aged Care in Victoria.


At times the creek disappeared among rushes, other times deep in a ravine, at times quite open and exposed.


The back of the Couburg drive in screen.


I think there was a bird in there somewhere.


Until the next walk, farewell little creek.


I left at Mathieson Street and walked to Merlynston Station for the train back to town. I would have walked further had it not been so hot. I think I am North Coburg here and the houses rather nice than those where I began the walk.


I have now completed the second stage of my walk after skipping a bit that I thought would be just more of what I had seen. The next post detailing the second stage will have me join the trail just north of Coburg lake to where I walked from Batman Station.



20 comments:

  1. How interesting, even with the vandalism. I am enjoying your walking trail posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Vandalism is a fact of life, but annoying too.

      Delete
  2. It does look like a delightful (albeit) hot walk. Water improves most landscapes.
    Sigh on the vandalism front. I also wonder whether those who burned the cars owned them.
    Trees are always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, very unlikely that the cars were owned by those who torched them. Seems to be a fate of stolen cars. Yes, plenty of tree and lots of birdlife.

      Delete
  3. a great landscape but muy favourite is the house I would like to live there.How much is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last house Gosia? I would guess perhaps €750,000. If it was in a better area, a lot more.

      Delete
  4. Great place to torch the stolen car after the joy ride. Is it busier at weekends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, yes it would be busier at weekends. The northern part was extremely quiet. Got a rusty old car nearby you need dealt with?

      Delete
  5. Fascinating yes. I do love rocks.
    those burn shapes do look car sized, perhaps someone was getting rid of the evidence...
    Those plantings in the creek area is the sort of thing I used to do when a volunteer with the green reserve. They're an off-shoot of Conservation Australia, small groups of older people doing volunteer work outdoors. I'm pretty convinced some of our group were court ordered community workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, your volunteer work had slipped my mind. The plants in the photos look very professionally planted, so I expect work by local council. Some of the creek bank plantings more like what volunteers would do.

      Delete
  6. Will try commenting one more time. I push publish and my words disappear!
    Anyway what I said was you were game to walk along there by yourself - did you meet anyone at all?
    Those torched spots weren't from the rather expensive sports cars that went missing from the repair shops recently were they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, apart from the couple of dog walkers when I began, I think I may have two other people walking, both male, taking some exercise and if they were criminals of some sort, I would not be surprised. I won't say I was nervous, but I did remain aware of my surroundings, and of course always looking out for Joe Blakes. Strangely, the only time I have ever felt threatened was when I was targeted by someone in Acland Street St Kilda, when I was with R, his sister and bro in law and hundreds of tourists. I called the police afterwards and they took it seriously. No, the grass has regrown in my photos. They are incidents from some time ago.

      Delete
  7. Good to see the scenery where you walked. Vandalism is a problem in some areas..how about the drive-in...didn't know one was still in use in Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of only two drive-ins left, I think Margaret. The other is bayside in Dromana.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for letting me tag along with you on the second part of your walk Andrew, always a treat! People treating the environment as their own personal trashcan has always been a huge problem for me, makes me furious, who the hell do they think they are right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I knew that wasn't clear. That was the first part of my walk. When I was a kid, littering was more normalised. It is not now and I for one really get annoyed when I see it happen.

      Delete
  9. Ah, yes, moomba rocks. Giant playing marbles left behind by aliens millenia ago.

    It looks like a great walk. Would love to go on one with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moomba Rocks. They are not alien eggs are they Mitchell? Oh dear.

      Delete
  10. Getting around on the trails. Look like nice trails too, even a center line. How far was this walk do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, so much twisting and turning on the paths, but I suppose it was about 3 km. Err, say 2 miles. Might have been a little more. As the crow flies, not very far really.

      Delete