Friday, November 13, 2015

Almost late night ranting

What to buy someone for a gift? My friends and family all have adequate enough income to be able buy what they want for themselves, so it makes it hard to come up with something to buy. While Mother does not like it, we have embraced Kris Kringle gift giving for Christmas and this will be the third year and it works so much better.

Yes, as I was saying, no one in my family is wanting, except for Mother and I am sure long time readers will know that she is a shocker with money.

At times you have something of some small value, but what do you do with it when your have bought something newer and shinier? We have a decent sized plastic bag of ewaste ready to go to the council recycling centre, sitting on top of our old dvd player, also included.  In the case of my old camera, I have sent it to someone who I hope will appreciate it. Much of this person's income goes on doing good works and there is not much left for luxuries.

So, to the post office I went to post a parcel overseas. Even that was not so simple. I went to where the post office in town was and it was not there. It had moved a bit further up the street. I bought the post bag and picked up the customs declaration to fill in and attach.

Once home, I addressed the post bag and filled in the form but where is R? He went off to his volunteer work this morning before I arose and he has been home, but he is not now. I went to my bathroom and while I did what I had to do, I thought, I know. There will be a note on the computer keyboard, and sure enough there was. "Gone to doctor, 2.45". R does know where to leave me a note where I can see it. While I had my cold last week, R thought he caught it, but his has been so different. He is coughing badly and struggling to breath at times. I was about to text him as to what was happening at 3.45 when he had not returned but as I thought that, he returned. His doctor had diagnosed a bad chest infection. He had been given a spiro whatever test and his lung capacity was 47%. He was loaded up with drugs, a ventolin inhaler, antibiotics and steroids. While I travelled to have my chest xray on the tram, he said he could not cope and I must drive him. We rarely ask anything like that of each other, so when it is asked, we both jump as either of us know it is not an idle request. But I was going to take my almost packed parcel to the post office. Well, I did that in Balaclava while R had his chest xray.

There was a bit of queue in the post office and how annoying is it when you finally get to the counter, look behind you and there is no longer a queue. "Is there a battery in this package?" I lied and hope I don't bring down a trans Pacific flight with 400 passengers on board. This really is a nonsense about batteries. My latest camera I just plug into the computer to charge. Does it have a battery? I suppose it does, kind of. An internal battery. Is that different? What about musical cards? They have a battery.

Will our Border Control xray my parcel and see the battery within the camera? Will the US do that? Will the package ever get past our own airport? Remains to be seen and it seems I have put the lives of many people at risk, just like the 88 year old Mabel from Moroochydore is suspected of carrying an explosive device and so is 'randomly' selected for explosive  powder testing.

14 comments:

  1. Ooh, you might now be on a "watch list" somewhere... And if the watchers don't have better things to do with their time, to hell with them. Anyway, so sorry about R and so glad he went to the doctor. Hope he's feeling MUCH better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, I expect our spooks already a file on me. R is feeling somewhat better today.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you're feeling better; sorry R isn't. Hope he is well soon.

    You have the right idea about gift-giving, it will be just the three of us for Xmas day; we'll spend Boxing Day with the godbabies and their family. That will be something new for them. =)

    Shhhh, the watchers are watching! 'The Battery That Changed The World As We Know It'... could be a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like a lovely Christmas plan, Jac. I think the battery was nearly flat. Will that make a difference?

      Delete
  3. I can't wait, Andrew, and thank you for going to the trouble to send it. Excited! Mine is toast, will not focus most of the time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I just hope it is good enough for your purposes.

      Delete
  4. How lovely that you have sent your camera to Strayer. I can't think of a better person. I have been caught not with batteries, but with of all things sending fridge magnets by air. Illegal I was told. And I decided to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I can see a pilot staring as his instrument panel as needles in dials move mysteriously at random. "Staff! Check the luggage for magnets".

      Delete
  5. it is always a problem to buy a gift who is well-off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is hard to buy even for those who just have enough.

      Delete
  6. I often wonder about aerosol cans in luggage. If you aren't allowed them in carry on how is it ok in the hold?
    They did query us about lithium batteries at check in one time don't remember that happening last year tho'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, wouldn't you think aerosol cans were more of a risk in the hold where there are isn't air pressure control? and vast temperature ranges?

      Delete
  7. ha ha you rebel you!
    I really dislike buying gifts, I have no imagination at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, R drives me crazy with time consuming choosing of gifts, but we usually get it right.

      Delete