Wednesday, November 04, 2015

A dying Highriser upgraded

I don't think I had a cold in the years 2013/14. I am now experiencing my third cold this year. While it is not so messy discharge wise, oh the aches. The jets of water from the shower head hurt my skin. I was about to work ten days without a day off, but I have reduced that with at least today and tomorrow off work. I am really too unwell to go to work. I tried to see my doctor today for a sick certificate for work, but he is on a week's leave. Every other doctor was booked out today, I am thinking by hungover people after Melbourne Cup Day. I will see my second favourite doctor tomorrow. My first favourite is Asian and my second favourite is Irish. One must always choose an attractive doctor and more importantly, one who is a good bit younger than yourself. I have had a doctor die on me when I was younger and his desertion of me made me quite cross. So inconsiderate. My current fave doctor is competent and does not harass me about life style choices, just occasionally and gently reminds me that I am looking a little porky. I've probably been seeing him for fifteen or more years.

I am not sure what made me do it. Maybe the thought of some extra time off work and a chance to recover from a computer disaster, but today I downloaded and installed Windows 10. It is a little different but I can cope with it. Nothing seems lost and the world did not end. It took about one hour thirty minutes from go to whoa. Too early to judge if it is better, but I am not having problems.

Funny, last Sunday we went to the big Gerry shop in Moorabbin with a mind to buy a new desktop computer, but that is a story yet to be told.

21 comments:

  1. I see you haven't lost your humour.
    Hope you feel much improved tomorrow and i bet you might getva rum or whiskey into you.

    I took the plunge with Windows 10 about 2 weeks ago..i like it. I unticked most of those spying Microsoft stuff just before install...but that me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you elaborate on the "spying microsoft stuff" so I know what to untick if I decide to try Windows 10?

      Delete
  2. Margaret, R quite kindly went across the road last night and bought me some brandy. I did not get much past a sip before I fell to an exhausted sleep. Enjoying it a bit more tonight. I did not have the energy to customise the settings. I will do as time goes goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND YOU DIDN'T VISIT ME? :(
    I've had a few colds this year too, which is something different. And annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah Fen, coz we would have had to visit Copper Witch too or she would be jealous. All too much. The female cold is not so bad. Men nearly die when they have a man cold.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, recover soon. I have had 5 cold this year. Working at school is not friendly and healthy environment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, that is not good. I thought you might build up a strong immune system by working in a school.

      Delete
  5. I hope you are much more better today. Colds are miserable beasts, out of all proportion to the severity of the ailment.
    Still thinking about Windows 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, a good bit better today, thanks. No rush about Windows 10. It really seems to be no big deal.

      Delete
  6. Should I be shipping a vat of chicken noodle soup your way? As my Dad used to say: "It'll cure what ails ya and if nothin' ails ya... it'll cure that too!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be good Jac. It should arrive in time for my next bout, ETA January 2016.

      Delete
  7. I will assume you are much better by now after brandy, hot showers and sleeping. Take it easy when you do get back to work, for a couple of days at least. Do you have a "home doctor" service who will send someone to check that you really are sick then write you a certificate?
    So Windows 10 seems to be okay now? Perhaps they've worked at removing the bugs I'd been hearing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, a good bit better. Sister's partner is a doctor and she at times does house calls, so I suppose what you say can be done. The only issue so far with 10 is the screen won't go to black after being idle for ten minutes.

      Delete
  8. Bad year for colds this year had a few myself.
    merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, you must get out a bit then, to catch colds.

      Delete
    2. Blame your bingo buddies.

      Delete
  9. Could you video tape live feed your untimely demise? Maybe I'd watch if there was nothing else on. Just kidding. Hope you get over your cold soon and not catch another. It's probably all your travels, you pick up viruses you've not been exposed to before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I say love, I say pet, I say love, I say darls, I am not pretty now and I am too old to be a pretty corpse. While I would like to blame foreigners for my cold, a cold gestation period is two to three days.

      Delete
    2. Ah now, I was only trying to place blame elsewhere, for your content.

      Delete
  10. Oh yes... the man cold!! P has just had one such cold, it was awesome in its awfulness to be sure :) and now after a day of painting AGAIN, we are both clutching our backs :) but it is now officially over, the painting I mean! Hope you feel better soon Andrew, drink lots of water, my cure for everything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, painting used to be so easy when you are young. I am with you in drinking lots of water. It certainly can't harm.

      Delete